RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

My website. I'm after some feedback.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:22 PM

My website. I'm after some feedback.

Hi guys,

I decided to display my work on my own website. A template for me while I build up my skills.

www.jelphotoretouch.com

Any feedback, comments and suggestions on the look and feel, usability and overall perception would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Joshua.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2010, 02:44 PM

Re: My website. I'm after some feedback.

You have a great website, with a great portfolio. Everything is nice and clean. Good effects. I'm envious. The one thing that just doesn't work for me is your slogan - "I retouch photographs to a professional standard." B-O-R-I-N-G. Get with a creative-writer type of friend and ask for help re-wording that.

"Professional image manipulations" - or - "Professional retouching with an artist's touch" - for example. Anything that sounds more creative.

Todd
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2010, 04:08 PM

I certainly do like the work that you do. Very handsome, effective and skilled. There is, however, one point that disturbed me immediatly upon opening your site.
"Hi my name is Joshua. I retouch photographs...." and this is written over the model's face. To me, it looks like the model's name is Joshua. She's looking right at the viewer as if she were making the statement.

Perhaps, text in another placement? multiple faces? your face?

You are very talented for one so new in their career...best of luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEastman View Post
The one thing that just doesn't work for me is your slogan - "I retouch photographs to a professional standard." B-O-R-I-N-G. Get with a creative-writer type of friend and ask for help re-wording that.

"Professional image manipulations" - or - "Professional retouching with an artist's touch" - for example. Anything that sounds more creative.

Todd
Todd, thanks. I agree completely. When concentrating so much to design an appealing site you forget to review things like that.

I'll look at changing it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veralisa View Post
I certainly do like the work that you do. Very handsome, effective and skilled. There is, however, one point that disturbed me immediatly upon opening your site.
"Hi my name is Joshua. I retouch photographs...." and this is written over the model's face. To me, it looks like the model's name is Joshua. She's looking right at the viewer as if she were making the statement.

Perhaps, text in another placement? multiple faces? your face?

You are very talented for one so new in their career...best of luck!
I have had people mention that it feels like the model is ME. I think now that I'm going to change the text I might just leave my name out of it. That model is much prettier than I am so I wont be putting my face on the front page. At first I had the front page with out an image and just that text. I felt that it needed something, so I put that image behind it.

Thank you for your kind words
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2010, 10:53 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

In addition to the above comments, the first thing to strike me was the need to pop the levels on the model's face just a bit (she seems a bit dark overall on a Mac monitor; I think PCs will display it even darker [?]), without blowing out the arm. This will hold true with any other photo you choose.

Next, make sure your slogan doesn't blend into the background photo. The last half of "photographs" is being lost in the model's cheek. Try an Outer Glow, thin stroke or drop shadow. OR, move the slogan to the empty white space (upper right, to the right of your logo) and don't worry about tonal conflicts.

Next, DO NOT have a link to the Home page on the Home page! That's a circular link loop, and I see that often. Makes no sense. Maybe you're using a template and it's hard to edit the standing menu?

What's wrong with that model on the About page? (Just kidding!) Maybe use a photo of yourself at your workstation, shot from above and behind while looking up (showing the Wacom and huge monitor, yes?).

Services page: The light gray, same-size as the copy header font is not working for me. The headers should stand out more than the copy. At the very least, enlarge the header font size and indent/maybe bullet each service underneath.

I like your Portfolio gallery behavior (no overuse of Flash, easy to navigate, efficient placement of the before/after). Fill in that last gray section with another example, or delete it. Is there room for this gallery to grow, or are you stuck with whatever fits on this page?

Contact page: Email and URL should be clickable. I'm not going to type them in ;-). If you wish to retain that font style, use image maps to make those areas clickable.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2010, 11:04 PM

plugsandpixels. Thank you very much for the detailed crit. Very muchly appreciated.

Home page link: I didn't code the site, just put it together in Photoshop. I'll ask for that link to be removed.

Slogan: I'm looking at changing that.

Services page: You're right about the grey.

Portfolio: As before mentioned, I didn't code the site so I'm not really sure what my friend can do as my portfolio grows. We have discussed this though. I plan on filling out the last grey section very soon.

Contact page: I'll ask about making those addresses clickable.

Regards,

Joshua.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2010, 12:11 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

No worries, mate! ;-)

Since you're designing your site in PS already, have a look at SiteGrinder. It's a plug-in that generates entire working websites directly out of PS, no external friends needed!

A number of other web design packages (aside from the ubiquitous Dreamweaver) can also be considered if you choose to maintain your site yourself (which is the most empowering approach).

It seems your gray fonts are actual text and not images, in which case be sure they will be displayed properly cross-platform (looks OK on Mac, not sure about Windows). In those cases where you are using rendered text, make sure alt tags are in place so search engines can extract the information (I think you're good in this case).
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2010, 06:23 PM

Nice site. Work on the slogan though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-23-2010, 01:56 PM

A suggestion I'd make on the contact us page is to remove your email address and replace it with a contact us form instead.

The reason I'd recommend doing that is even though you put your information in a picture, (kudos for that) some bots are able to still nab it from a picture(by recognizing that an element of a picture is the same shape as a letter or number), unless its seriously distorted(like those captcha boxes you see) also you have it entered into an alt tag as text which is also seen by bots. basically it will be found by web crawler bots by some annoying ad agency and will be sold to other companies and you'll be seeing more spam in no time. Do a quick search for "php contact form" or better yet use the one I found when looking for one that might work for ya.

http://www.phpeasystep.com/phptu/8.html

basically the first bit of code you'll put in your pagewhere you have your bcard.jpg image. then create a blank php document named "send_contact" and paste the second bit of code provided to you in there. This is by far the best php contact us form tutorial I've seen yet shouldn't take even 5 minutes.

Very nice example of a Jquery site no flash used here.
May your customers flock to you like bees to honey.

Last edited by myrestor; 12-23-2010 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Edited link
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website