RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

need feedback on my website and suggestions please

Old 09-22-2012, 12:16 PM

need feedback on my website and suggestions please

Hi,
I am new in here and was hoping for feedback to my website which I designed myself. Here it is: http://www.thecraftedpixels.com
Do please tell me what you feel about the overall look of the site. I would like to change my gallery by having something more simple but unable to find anything... something that uses flash & xml? So that I can add pictures without having to worry about the flash movie part at all?

All suggestions & comments welcome.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2012, 10:27 PM

Re: need feedback on my website and suggestions pl

I like the work in the retouching and maniplations sections. The site itself . . . a little uninspired. Just a little blah.

--shift studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2012, 09:04 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

I'll be addressing the site design itself, not your work (which seems excellent all around).

I was about to warn you about the evils of Flash but I checked my iPad first and it plays! So that's good.

I like the color scheme. I don't tend to like self-playing slide shows on the main page because I don't know how long it's going to be, and when visiting websites I like to know where I am and what's going on. Your galleries don't suffer from this problem because you offer thumbnails.

As for your galleries, your "before" work is very hard to see due to the small size, though I understand you want to promote the "after" more. A related matter is you're not making good use of desktop computer screen size (there is a LOT of room for your work to expand but it doesn't). On the iPad it's better but still a bit empty all around the edges.

A huge thing to address is the teeny tiny text at the bottom of the main page. On the About page you have the same exact thing showing twice, which makes this problem twice as bad.

On the Contact page one can't click on the email or Facebook links. No good. Who's going to type that out?

I find the "Like" and Tweet icons annoying, especially the Like at top right (you already have one below). And the promo for the gallery software is distracting too. These things are like little lights in a dark room, becoming the main focus when they shouldn't.

Hope this helps!

PS: Your post reminds me of something I read recently, and it doesn't actually apply to your site. Studies have shown that people respond better to ugly websites and graphics! Here's another.

This probably won't fly with photographers and retouchers, but who knows!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2012, 09:16 PM

Wink Re: need feedback on my website and suggestions pl

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift studio View Post
I like the work in the retouching and maniplations sections. The site itself . . . a little uninspired. Just a little blah.

--shift studio.
since I didn't offer any useful suggestions on ways to improve your site, my comment was useless - please see Plugs' post and ignore mine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Patron

"Uninspired" was a start. You just need to elaborate ;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2012, 12:37 AM

I'd agree, great retouching work,

Plugsnpixels has some great points about your site, I'd like to ask whats going on the with dark grey 'keywords' on the dark grey background at the very bottom of the About page & contact page?

If you were trying to hide them from the audience they are still pretty visible, I imagine the only reason you would do this is to have content full of keywords that potential clients may be searching for, This is a bad idea, hiding keywords is considered a black hat technique and search engines like Google will actually penalize you for doing it, meaning your ranking will be even lower than not using hidden keywords at all.

I recommend you just re-write your actual content to include some key words. Your site could benefit from having more written content. Try to think about it from the perspective of potential clients - what would they want to know about you and how your business operates?

One other thing (I dont know if its just me or if this is a common opinion) Grab a personalized email, E.g Joe@thecraftedpixels.com
you can get one for as little as $10/year and it looks so much better and way more professional than suchandsuch@gmail.com

Hope this helped. Good luck with the site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2012, 12:06 PM

Thankyou for the c&c.
Yes, the site design itself was just something I did and not being a professional website designer, that was the best I could do.

However point taken and I sort of redesigned the site using wordpress to help me out. Hopefully its a little better now and I will add more content in the form of blog posts and stuff maybe.

As regards before pictures being small, its mainly because I have had situations where people steal my work. So the before pictures are small to deter them as I have them high res with me only.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Patron

Thanks for the follow-up!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website