RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Stolen web images (Translator Please!!)

Old 12-07-2002, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mig
Somewhere on someone's site I read...

I am a freelance artist providing fine art and gothic photography. I gained a Bachelor of Arts degree in Photography in the Arts in 1997 from the University of West of England, Bristol.

Now, I don't know who this person is, the owner of the site, a friend, who knows for sure (right?), but I thought it would be exciting to attend this school and earn this degree, so I wrote the school for information, asking if I could earn a B.A. in photography at their school.

And they wrote me back,

"Thank you for your email. Unfortunately we do not run a BA
in photography."

Mig [/B]
Hello again Mig

That sentence is on my site - and yes I have got a degree from the University of West England Bristol. The Degree was taken at Swansea Institue of Higher Education. The degree authoiritazion body is the University of the West ofEngland, Bristol!

I am sure that the SIHE would be interested in your aplication.

No Pollution intended -Just facts
Clare

Now lets get back to helping each other with web site security which is what this link is all about!

Last edited by clare; 12-07-2002 at 10:06 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2002, 04:55 AM

Leah and Chiquitita,
Thank you both for your feed back, I am going to look at a way of just disabling the save function in the right click. I think this would be a better way round the problems. I myself use the right click - view in new window function and agree it will be ashame if people cannot use a site as they wish. I do how ever need to keep my security up so hopefully the two can work side by side.

I included in the warning message that pops up in my site a copyright notice as I didn't like the 'Sorry, you don't have permission to right-click.' this is impersonal and doesn't tell the user why. Do you have any suggestions as to a different message that will be better received if I can't find another way around this problem?

Chuck,
I quite like the idea of adding your url to your images. This would make them advertising if used on someone elses site - a fine plan. I may well do that today.

I know I have said this before but the thing that irritated me about someone stealing my images was the fact that I got no credit or link to my site. I was flattered that someone liked my images enough to want to use them - I just wished they had asked - I probably would have said yes! and sent them some via email, my only request would have been a link and credit.
I have got some ideas today for more security - but I will try them out first and then post the results.

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2002, 05:20 AM

Unfortunately I will have to upgrade my web server to gain access to the .htaccess url security - same company just a different type of account. At least now I know why it isn't working!

So I will have to go for disable view source and just keep a keen eye on any sponge attacks.

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2002, 07:47 AM

To stop further confusion I have changed the text in my about us page to the following :

I am a freelance artist providing fine art and gothic photography.
I gained a Bachelor of Arts degree in Photography in the Arts in 1997, at Swansea Institute of higher education, from the University of West of England, Bristol.

Hope this clears up any problems with checking my degree status, Mig.

-Quote -Mig-
Now, I don't know who this person is, the owner of the site, a friend, who knows for sure (right?)
-end Quote-

You can enquire at under my name Clare Sadler, I have never tried to cover my identity as I have nothing to hide. Do you

Last edited by clare; 12-07-2002 at 10:10 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2002, 10:09 AM

I have just added my url to all my images as Chuck recomended.

Plus even more images. A friend bought me some flowers for helping her out recently and I just can not stop taking photos of them they are so beautiful.

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2002, 11:47 AM

I just checked out your updated website Clare. I like the way you watermarked the rose I looked at. There are of course ways to get around the "no right click" so I think the watermark is much more effective.

I'm personally not concerned wether you have a degree or not.
You do have some very nice photographs on your site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2002, 12:46 PM

Thanks Gland

I agree there is more to life than qualifications - I was worried that a potential customer might come accross MIG and not commission me because they believe it (Mig that is who know's whether it's male or female!)

I was more upset as a photographer that also had his work stolen asked me about web site security and I told him to come here introduce himself and join our discussion. I also told him what a fantastic place this is and that there is no back bitting and everyone was friendly. Lets hope he has not been scared off - his work is very good and another member brings more variety and learning opportunities. I do hope he comes back .....

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2002, 02:29 PM

I agree Clare,this site is very friendly. It certainly has been a learning experience for me.

Hopefully he will come back.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2002, 02:53 PM

Clare,

Nice new flower pics!

I've been doing a little more research on the web and found this great resource. The section on How to tell if someone is stealing your graphics lists ways to search for graphics linked directly to your server - using the "search for graphics" feature of Alta Vista. Also, Lycos lets you search for pictures on the web.

The Protecting Images and Bandwidth of that same site gives a Java script for disabling right click OVER IMAGES ONLY. And it provides a CGI script for preventing bandwidth stealing if you don't have access to the .htaccess technique.

Also, the link that Doug provided (yesterday?) with info on implementing .htaccess had a link to a technique for preventing hotlinking using a PHP script (provided).

Good luck,
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2002, 03:05 PM

Also, the Web Guard site has some great "substitute graphics" on this page.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website