RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Stolen web images (Translator Please!!)

Old 12-07-2002, 03:07 PM

Thanks Jeanie,

You web crawler you - and a very good one at that

Just taken a quick look at the first link - Very interesting. Also I know my web site supports cgi as I have a cgi bin so some code to go in here is much appreciated.

Glad you like the flowers - more to study yet - this web site is drawing me away from producing more images at the moment!! Hopefully it will all be as I want it soon. I am about to design a second web site for a friend and want to complete all of these issues before I start so that I can impliment them straight into the new site - save a bit of time.

The java script I gave earlier in this thread only disables the right click over the images.

Okay you have just posted again so I'll finish this to have a look

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2002, 03:12 PM

Oh I particualy like the substitute graphics - I will have to bookmark these just incase of future nurds!

Thanks for sharing

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2002, 03:18 PM

I just cracked up when I got to the one that says, "You, Sir, are a Dork!" I doubt I'd ever actually use that one, but it made me laugh just the same.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2002, 03:32 PM

I like the fact that when you float over the image it say You Dork!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2002, 03:40 PM

I can't remember if someone has already posted a link for this or not, but here is a link for providing a replacement context menu when you right click.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2002, 04:42 PM

I haven't seen this idea for "protecting" images on the web anywhere, but my brain is working overtime and wonder if anyone has thought of this before and it's just a dumb idea...

But, what about slicing images into 12-16 pieces and putting them back together in a table? ImageReady does this fairly easily/automatically, I think. Of course, someone can still "print screen", but this way, even the cached files are pieces of the image. Obviously, someone can put them back together if they really want them, but it makes it a bit more of a pain in the butt to do it. (I.e., they really have to want them.)

I just wonder if this adds siginificantly to the loading time of images? It also could make file management on the web server a nightmare. What other downsides am I missing? Or does this really do nothing to deter others from stealing images?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2002, 07:59 PM

thanks for the link to the Web Guard's "substitute graphics" those are really funny! Re: slicing images: I actually find that kind of annoying when I'm viewing web pages, I'd rather just wait for a whole image to load, but I'm not sure about the people about dial up, since sometimes they like that better. I'm not sure about loading time/size, I'll have to let somebody else answer that one.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2002, 12:15 AM

Thinking more about slicing an image... If I don't also hide the source, then it's pretty much useless, b/c someone could just take the HTML needed to put the image back together and use it on their page. So, pretty much a waste of effort and just makes things more complicated.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2002, 02:05 AM

With the thread involving topics of security and theft and plagiarism, etc., credibility becomes an issue all around - something about 'people who live in glass houses should not throw stones'.
Consider spell-checking your site, as this will surely get you further than fancy script and watermarks.
Lastly, you want 'some' theft of your images. It's good for business.

Mig
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2002, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mig
Lastly, you want 'some' theft of your images. It's good for business.
Agreed if you're given credit. Do you also mean if you're not given credit? If so, how is that so?

I'm thinking of putting a "copy policy" on my site - something to the effect of "You're welcome to copy my images as long as you credit them to me and provide link back to this site." Seems like it would be free advertising that way.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website