RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Stolen web images (Translator Please!!)

Old 12-08-2002, 10:57 AM

Rather than making your images free to down load a better way might be the one Chuck mentioned - by placing a text url in your images if someone is sponging then they are automatically advertising your site. Other wise you might end up with your host calling for more money because your bandwidth is going all over the web. Along with the watermark this should ensure that people know that the images is yours.

Of course there are always going to be dorks out there who think it is fine to use other peoples images illegally but this is probably just because they haven't got the imagination to create anything themselves.

Clare

Jeanie,
Your work should not be given away free - its too good and you deserve recognition for it
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2002, 12:08 PM

Thanks for the compliment Clare.

Yes, of course you are right. My URL and watermark are a good way to ensure that advertising happens if the images are stolen. Of course, someone could go to the trouble of cloning that out if they really wanted. But, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2002, 01:15 PM

Has anyone heard of a program called 'encript web'?, you can set it up do disable the right click, view source, and many other html effects.

I have been looking at this for a posibility for my site. It unforunately does not support Opera but works with IE and Netscape.

I was just wondering on the overall reaction to the lack of Opera and the security this has? Has anyone got this running and if so how do you find the program?

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2002, 07:42 PM

Getting credit would be nice if someone used your stuff, but even without credit you still win. This can happen in a variety of ways. People grab stuff off the net everyday, as we all know because we've all done it - there isn't anyone reading this who can honestly say they've never taken something from the net without permission. You may not have used it, but you took it anyway.

People take stuff for all sorts of reasons, but much of the time they just 'like' the picture, so they might e-mail it to friends, put it on their homepages, whatever. It gets around. People might see it, and ask, who did that?, where'd you get that? "I got it from some site called ImagePure."

I haven't read the whole thread here, but from what I understood from the beginning, images from Clare's site ended up on a Brazilian site that seemed to be about poetry (but I could be wrong). Now, I have two questions: one, how did Clare's pic end up 5,000 miles away, and two, how did Clare find out that her pic was being used on this site? It's great stuff!

This has happened to me twice that I know of, and one of them was in the most bizarre way; I won't get into it, except to say it was an 'adult' thing (unintended on my side) and it ended up on their splash page. Woo-hoo!

Check out the links section here... iconotrope.com (a friend) to see how some people have done it. I doubt there's any concern over right-clicking tho. They might be a little pretentious for e-cards, but what the... hey! now that's an idea! e-cards. Free advertising.

All the well-meaning advice given to Clare, and her knee jerk response in implementing these measures, has only made her site unpalatable, (but that's just one opinion). Most of the images are quite beautiful, so it's a shame. To each his own, good luck.

MIg
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-12-2002, 03:27 AM

Thanks Chuck for your support.

There is a lot more to this than just a stolen image. I did not intend make my site unpalatable to anyone. If this has become the result then I am sure my stats will show this and I will have to rethink my security strategies. If my site still shows a growing amount of interest then I know that the people that visit my site realise that artists and photographers need to protect there images and have respect for this. They will also see that my images are of a high quality and hopefully commission me or pass my name on. (They will not think oh if I had been able to right click and copy the image I would have commissioned this artist, but because there is security here I will go elsewhere!) We want clients that respect our creativity. Respect = trust.

I view my web site as a online portfolio and I expect that the viewing public to use it this way. I don't call using images off my site for others use as there own acceptable.

Ask your self this:
If while trawling through photographers studios trying to get work experience and you have your hard copy of your portfolio stolen would you find this acceptable? and just think oh well someone is going to be using my work (your creativity) to get a job (that should be yours) and take the credit for what I have produced - oh well, at least I get some advertising out of it? No you wouldn't because that's a fairly naive attitude (do you think they will phone you up and say, oh by the way I have this fantastic job with loads of money - would you like my wages as I used your portfolio as mine to gain the job!)- that portfolio is yours and copyright is there for a reason.

We all expect a little bit of a work to be copied or page printed and no matter how much security we implement on our site there will always be someone out there who knows a way round the security we have put there.

In time maybe people will come to use the web as it was originally intended - as a source of international information. People will see others work as just that - someone else’s. Respect of others will again be recognised as very important. There are good honest people out there now, and a lot of them visit and share there experiences here - I am glad to be part of this learning and sharing environment.

As yet I can’t see a drop in interest in my web site in the stats - I need to leave this for a few weeks to get a proper indication of how security has or hasn't affected my site. I will keep this thread informed to share my experiences - and I am sure others will share theirs. Together we can make our sites not only secure, but the best they can be, with as much user friendliness as possible. I look forward to sharing and learning

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2002, 11:47 AM

Clare, about your inquiry on "encrypt web"... I haven't used it - or any others like it. But, in my recent websurfing, I came across a site on securing websites that basically said NONE of the web encryption products being sold were fool proof - and most were easily gotten around. I think that's because of the underlying web issues (i.e., the building blocks of these encryption products) which have been discussed in this thread. For example, a lot of the ones I looked at were written in Java, which if course can be turned off in the blink of an eye. So, my decision was not to follow the path of web encryption tools.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2002, 12:01 PM

Thank Jeanie,

I have reservations about using web encription tools, one of my prime reasons for this is that some web surfing programs like opera don't allow you to view the pages. As the web is meant to be for all I see this as a bit of a down fall! I have not tried disabling the java to see if this program then fails but this is a good point - I will try this and get back to you.

I think all web encript programs are able to be decryted, but hopefully they might deter the average user. I think there is good and bad points about these programs and am still researching them as a maybe.

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2002, 04:03 PM

My 1st post on this board. You can translate that page using a free service at Free Translations . What I liked about the site is that you can make your own site translatable in up to 6 languages. A demo of the capabilities are at our Poodle's web site.

Best,
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2003, 12:53 PM

I just picked up this tip from another board I'm on:

Re: the Microsoft "tool bar" that pops up over images and makes it possible for others to save or print your images? It can be turned off by putting

<META HTTP-EQUIV="imagetoolbar" CONTENT="no">

in the header information of your webpages.

Obviously, this doesn't stop anyone from right-clicking and/or using print screen. However, at least in my mind, it seems like that little toolbar almost gives permission for people to download and use your images. Why give that impression if you don't need to?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2003, 03:22 PM

Jeanie

You are a complete star I have been looking for a way to stop that irritating microsoft float over from happening on my site - this will definately be on my next update.

Personally, I think this float over draws attention to the fact that you can save the image and there fore probably encourages copyright fraud - IMHO

I am so glad I can turn it off

Thank You
Thank You
Thank You

Clare
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website