RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Stolen web images (Translator Please!!)

Old 12-03-2002, 10:23 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I could be wrong here, but isn't the national language of Brazil, Portugese? Don't know how much difference it would make in the translation though.

I did find that a member of RP had used an image that I submitted for a challenge, on his website. It is an image of my daughter, that she gave permission to use as a challenge, but not for anything else. While I don't think it was right to use the image without asking, I didn't pursue the matter. My daughter doesn't know about it. That's one reason why I no longer submit images for challenges, if there could be a problem. That kind of puts me in a hard position.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2002, 10:26 AM

Clare, I have not had anyone stealing images. (I don't have any up yet. ) However, I found that the Professional Photographers of Colorado website has all of it's images "locked" so that you can't right-click and copy/save them at all. I'm thinking of doing something like that on my site - which I hope to have up by the first of the year. I don't know if this would stop someone from linking back to your page however. (Probably not. )

As far as translation, there are some free translators on the web which will take a URL and translate it. I just did this recently - I'll try to find the one I used again. Oh - and since this webpage is from Brazil, it's most likely in Portuguese (not Spanish.)

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2002, 10:29 AM

stealing images

There isn't much you can do considering where they are being used and if they are giving any sort of credit to you, the link, this seems to be the downsize of posting a pic somewhere on the web, anybody can take it and use it, and you have no control over how they do that.
Unless you have a lot of money you are stuck, because it cost a fortune to pursue copyright enfringement, and after you have paid to stop them, most likely they will just agree to stop using and you have put alot of money out and the cost to them 0.
I had a photo used by somebody else in a art contest and even after I confronted the person and notified the art source nothing was done, the person even got an award and then to make matters worse, when I used my photo, somebody accussed me of stealing it from that person. Go figure that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2002, 10:39 AM

Seeing as how they are linking to your site, why not take just one of the images and type" This image stolen from imagepure.com" in large bold letters.

See how long it takes for them to discover it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2002, 10:48 AM

Wow - I've been trying to translate and going back and forth to the pages - and now all of the images have a big "(c) Clare..." on them! You move fast Clare!

As far as translation, I found http://www.itools.com/ which will take a webpage for translation. It's pretty rough, but from what I can understand, it doesn't appear that the text has anything to do with the images. They both appear to be web blogs which just intersperse poems/musings with random images (that presumably the blogger finds appealing.) All of the images on those two sites are linked to other sites on the web - none appear to be hosted at the site where the text is.

Do you mind my asking how you found your pictures on these sites? Just wondering if there's some sort of searching I should be doing once I get my site up. Is there a way to find all of the links TO your site as well as what they are linking to?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2002, 10:51 AM

I'm going to have fun with these image ........ (expletive)

I have reloaded these images onto my site with the copyright logo attached. Go see

I am now going to take Gary's idea and change another on on each of the pages to have a stolen message!!

If they are atill using them tommorrow I will change the names of my images so they no longer are able to link!

jeaniesa - I am going to take a look at the link that you provided and incorporate this as well - Thank you

platscha@cs.com - I feel for you - having someone win a prize for your image and being told you are the imposter is out of order. Do you still have the original negative - if so I would approach the company and show them that they have made a mistake. (another digital issue that will be hard to prove!) Good Luck!

Thank you all for your feed back - I was really depressed when I saw these images come up - but thanks to everyone I am getting my revenge
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2002, 11:03 AM

jeaniesa

My web server comes with a link to Matrix stats
http://matrixstats.com/
In this there is a section called spongers! I check it every now and then to just check everything is running well. They also send my a stat's chart each week to tell me how many people have accessed my site and the search engines that refer and loads of other useful data on pages being viewed etc.

In my weekly report I noticed that there were over 1100 accesses to a webcrawler that I did not recognise as a link I had put in place! So I went onto the site to see who they are - you know the rest.

Steeling images that we spend our time creating just isn't on. It breaks my heart when someone who has no right to use an image is flaunting it for everyone to see. And not even Paying Me for it!!!

I have learnt a valuable lesson today - and I will not let people like this get away with it - nor should you! Together lets eat them for breakfast and growl at them for lunch!

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2002, 11:05 AM

Clare - the PPC website appears to be down at the moment. I imagine it will be back up soon. I don't know HOW they prevent right-clicks - only that they do. (You can't view source either.) I do have some contacts in that organization however, so I'll try to find out how it's done. (Also, I think I posted at the same time as you previously - don't know if you saw my question just above your last post.)

Platscha - I can't even imagine being accused of stealing someone's picture - who actually stole mine and won a prize for it! Yikes!! I firmly believe that person's actions will come back to haunt him/her however!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2002, 11:13 AM

Clare, I just took another look at your site and I noticed that you've added a "watermark" to all of your images. Did you just do that or was the watermark always there? Would you mind sharing how you did that?

Thanks, Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2002, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeaniesa
Also, I think I posted at the same time as you previously - don't know if you saw my question just above your last post
Jeanie [/B]
Yes we posted together but hopefully my second post will help

Clare
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website