RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Stolen web images (Translator Please!!)

Old 12-03-2002, 11:20 AM

jeaniesa -we did it again!!!!!

The water mark was created by placing a text layer over the final image with the (c)Clare Sadler repeted several times ++++. Then I changed the layer setting until it showed the writting without obsuring any of the image and reduced the opacity till it was legable. Normally either opacity or difference but it depends on the image.

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2002, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the info Clare! I know that my webhost provides a bunch of stats, but since I don't have my webpage up yet, I haven't actually bothered to figure out what the stats actually tell me. Now I'm inspired to go look!

I really like how you did the watermark b/c it doesn't detract from the image - but it's enough to catch your eye and make you look closer. Very elegant solution!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2002, 12:09 PM
Janitor

Disabling right-click will only prevent the most casual users from stealing images. You can still use "view source" from the menu to get the paths.

There is a way to prevent anyone from linking to your images if you have access to your .htaccess file (check with your webspace provider). It's a bit complex to get into here, but it prevents anyone clicking through from any domain but your own from viewing images.

Someone used one of our images here in a Howard Stern chat forum, and that one image drove our bandwidth usage way up. So I simply renamed the image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2002, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the info Doug

I will look into remove the right click properties - and get in touch with my host for further linking issues.

I have just emailed just about everyone who has images on the site to tell them there images maybe being used without there knowledge. Hopefully this will stop there steeling of images - and give them alot of work to try and keep there pages upto date. I am also going to go to this site on a regular basis and sent emails to all the images sites.

clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2002, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the additional info Doug. I know there are some sites which also prevent View Source too. Or have I imagined that?

Do you know how to prevent right-click from working? I haven't been able to figure that out yet. Is it done in HTML or with the security settings at the webserver level?

And thanks for the tip about .htaccess!

Clare, I was going to suggest contacting the owners of other images on those sites, but seems like it could be a big job to track it all the time. I applaud you for taking that on!

Jeanie

Last edited by jeaniesa; 12-03-2002 at 12:48 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2002, 12:57 PM

Ah ha!

Well, I used the cached pages from a google search to look at a PPC page and it appears the the right-click is disabled with a Java script such that when a right click occurs, a dialog box pops up and says (in effect) "This is a copyrighted image. Thank you for not copying it."

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2002, 02:21 PM

I am going to leave my new edited images on this site for probably about a week. Then I will rename them. I am also looking into Doug's suggestion of not being able to download the images and keeping a eye on my stat's. Hopefully with the editing that I have done to my images this will deter future image scouts from using my images.

I am also going to send the web site an email telling them how discusted I am at there business, and that I have sent all other image holders an email to this effect.

Hopefully in time they will learn that they need to pay for the work they exhibit - or at least give a credit to those images they use.

Keep your eye on those who are steeling images - we work hard - we deserve credit for what we have produced.

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2002, 02:21 PM

This is not what I had planned on doing today, but interesting nonetheless. If anyone is still following this thread, I did a little research on "disable view source" and came up with a ton of information. The general consensus is that if you are using HTML, there isn't a way to prevent people from seeing your source (and hence the links to your images.) Java script can be used to disable right click, but a user can just as easily turn off Java in their browser and the script would be useless. There are deterrants you can use, but the only way to really "secure" your site is to use something other than HTML.

If anyone's interested, here are some links that I found helpful in explaining the issue:

https://lists.latech.edu/pipermail/j...er/004115.html

http://www.geocities.com/felgall_com_au/htmlt4.htm

http://www.drpeterjones.com/hidden/hidden.php

Here's some sites that provide some code:

http://www.js-examples.com/example/?ex=580

http://users3.cgiforme.com/htmlhelpo...sages/383.html

And here's some shareware encryption tools:

http://www.softlandmark.com/HtmlEncryption.htm

This has been a fascinating lesson for me Clare. Thanks! (But still sorry to hear your images were being used illegally.)

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2002, 02:22 PM

We're posting at the same time again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2002, 02:28 PM

Thanks jeaniesa

I am going to look into your links tomorrow- I am bushed for today - this was meant to be a productive day - it's turned into a very frustrating day. Hopefully with all the help that has been given here I will beable to beat the bad people and move on.

Thank you all

Ready for a large beer - Clare
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website