RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Stolen web images (Translator Please!!)

Old 12-04-2002, 07:04 PM

Clare, Thanks for posting info as you find it. I'm still following this thread with great interest!

Sandra, Thanks for the additional info on htaccess. Similar info to what I found - but any info is welcome on what appears to be a very powerful tool!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2002, 08:12 PM

I just came here from reading a thread at 3dcommune.com about the very same thing. It seems that a couple of people had stolen images from quite a few of the artists there. The owners of the sites as well as the hosting company were contacted and the sites were pulled. I really hate seeing this happen but unfortunately it happens quite often.

I have to say though clare, I like the idea of sending them a bill. That ought to be an eye-opener.

Rich
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2002, 09:51 PM

Copyright means nothing on the net, no matter what anyone says. If you don't want something used, then don't post it on the internet, like your real name. Right-click disabled is a joke. Watermarks and copyright symbols are both ugly and narcissistic.
You should be flattered.
Enjoy it while it lasts.

Mig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg daft.jpg (53.9 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2002, 07:06 AM

Heres the java script that I promised earlier, this disables right clicking to save images

This going between The <Head> </Head>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!--
<!-- This script and many more are available free online at -->
<!-- The JavaScript Source!! http://javascript.internet.com -->

<!-- Begin
function right(e) {
var msg = "Sorry, you don't have permission to right-click. These images are the copyright 2002 Your name goes here";
if (navigator.appName == 'Netscape' && e.which == 3) {
alert(msg);
return false;
}
if (navigator.appName == 'Microsoft Internet Explorer' && event.button==2) {
alert(msg);
return false;
}
else return true;
}

function trap()
{
if(document.images)
{
for(i=0;i<document.images.length;i++)
{
document.images[i].onmousedown = right;
document.images[i].onmouseup = right;
}
}
}
// End -->

function MM_callJS(jsStr) { //v2.0
return eval(jsStr)
}
//-->
</SCRIPT>

This needs to be placed in the <BODY onLoad" > This took me ages to work out any problems just PM and I'll talk you through it!

;MM_callJS('trap()')
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2002, 07:57 AM

I am going to implement all the security features I can on my web site. If disabling the right click deters one moron from stealing my work then it has been worth the effort.

There is something nice about someone enjoying the work that you create, and that they like the images, BUT this does not give them the right to steal them!

Not only did thet steal my images but they had the cheek to use my server to access the images, using my bandwidth. Good bandwidth costs money ---MY MONEY---

You simply cannot take someone else's information or data without acknowledging who the creator was - or without paying for it, if required - for that is plagiarism. To believe the internet is a free for all for people to take or exploit what they want is a fallacy. The internet is used by businesses, researchers and others for the exchange of information and products. Genuine people seeking to further their personal achievements. But like all walks of life, it is also full of rogues who do not respect others. I guess this is what it boils down to. Respect of other's rights. Artists also have rights and need respect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2002, 09:12 AM

I've just made the first part of my web changes including the above meta and java script.

If anyone is interested in how it works this is an example! It's all up and running now - just uploaded it as well as a few more images.

What do you think? - I know its not going to deter the rouges but better than nothing!

Clare

I ahve also added a new stolen slash across the images that were taken. They only show up on there site not mine!

(2nd address) first address images have been removed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2002, 11:12 AM

I checked with my webhost and I'm happy to see that they DO allow me to use .htaccess - in fact, they have a couple FAQ answers which mention the use of this file.

I like the new images Clare!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2002, 11:26 AM

A couple more questions

Does anyone know how to disable the save functions on IE when you float over an image?

and

Does anyone know how to stop your images being cached on another machine?

Jeanie,
Thanks, I have been making flowers my study at the moment. Hopefully once I have built up a big enough data base I can start to aproach image libraries (most I have found need you to have a minimum of 60 images!).

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2002, 11:38 AM

Does anyone know how to disable the save functions on IE when you float over an image?

Do you mean creating your own context menu? Or are you referring to the IE menu functions?

Does anyone know how to stop your images being cached on another machine?

If I understand your questions correctly, I don't think it's possible to stop this. The way the browsers work is that they download everything from your server to the viewer's Internet Temp files and then renders them so the viewer can see them. At least that's what I understood from all of my reading yesterday. I don't think there's a way to disable that b/c if it was disabled, then no one would be able to view your site.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2002, 11:50 AM

BigAl,
Thanks for the reminder I will add it to my list. Do you know how to do this?

Jeanie,

I feared that the cache can not be removed, lets hope we are both wrong.

When you float over an image in IE it shows symbols to save the image etc. I have no idea if this can be disabled! I can hope.

Clare
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website