RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Stolen web images (Translator Please!!)

Old 12-05-2002, 03:06 PM

Sorry Jeanie and Jeffery, I didn't notice your posts. I was only trying to help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2002, 03:23 PM

Don't feel bad for posting duplicate info Sanda! The more info the better, and in this case, I found the link you posted to explain the technique in a slightly different way that clarified something for me - so that's GOOD!! Somehow, I'd gotten the idea that you had to resize the actual GIF image for each of your images that you wanted to put it over. In fact, you keep the GIF image at 1x1 pixel size and just specify the size in the HTML code. Makes it a lot easier and a lot faster to load!! So, thanks to you, I'll now implement it correctly!

Regarding the "challenge" link I posted above, it didn't take me too long to track down the code, but he was pretty clever in naming the file. Hint: It has to do with the files cached on your hard drive. Now I just have to look at his actual code to figure out all that he did!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2002, 07:11 PM

It took a while but I have found the source code to jeanies link!!!

Wanna now how ..... na that would ruin the fun

Clare

Jeanie - I did it a different way!

Sandra - I second Jeanie in saying all posts are welcome. Yours answered a few questions for me and we have so many more to cover.

Last edited by clare; 12-05-2002 at 07:16 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2002, 01:22 AM

Another idea to consider for protecting images from being copied. I've had two people mention to me this evening that you can embed an image in Flash - and then the context menu doesn't give you the option of copy and saving is a SWF file - not a JPG or GIF.

See this site for an example.

What I haven't determined yet is how much overhead (in terms of file size) is added by embedding an image in Flash. Anyone else know?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2002, 03:05 AM

yep, that's one way of doing it, but you'd still have to use that script to disable the view source, since I can find the swf file by doing that (on the page you linked to for example, that file is: http://wanspages.prodigy.net/bardolf...s/topclown.swf
however, there are some big advantages to it:
Once it's saved as a swf file, it's a vector format so when you put it up on your site you can specify whatever size you want it to be scaled to (in pixels or percentage).
Also, when you save an SWF file in flash, you can choose an option called "protect from import" so even if they do manage to find your swf file, they can't do anything with it unless they just take a screenshot or something.
As for file size, because it's vector, it just saves information, not actual pixels, so there's almost no overhead besides the actual photo information. when you save the file, you also have the option of jpeg compression, and when I took the quality down to 50% on my test pic, the file size was a ways less than the original, and it was decent enough quality for web posting.
hope that info helps, I'm finding some good info that I didn't know before from this too.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2002, 06:01 AM

One thing about right-click disable -

One thing about right-click disable -

This can be a huge pain to web surfers. I am constantly opening links in new windows by using the right click menu. The right-click disable is very annoying for people like me who don't want to loose your page but want to visit a link at your site. There are obviously ways around this but it is still a pain for your visitors.

Also, I don't know if anything has changed, but right-click disable never used to work in netscape.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2002, 06:24 AM

When linking to another site from your own - get it to come up in a new window. This has the advantage of not loosing a poteintal client because the window with your information in is lost and they can't be bothered to look for it again and that when closing down the subsequent windows they are reminded what they went searching for.

You can also have the pop up windows to have a diferent handling, you can set the scroll bar - location bar - menu bar - status bar etc to be either active or not.

One of the things that I made sure of when I originally built my site was that there were ample buttons for navigation round my site. There is a contact on every page so If someone comes across something of interest it is not lost in there attempt to get in touch. Hopefully because I layed these links down, disabling the right click in my site will not have a detremental effect.

Unfortunately I have had to shut down my site on a temporary basis until I can impliment .htaccess and to hide the source code. This was not an easy discision. I emailed the sponger this morning and requested that if he did not remove my images by 12.00 GMT I would be informing his host and sponsors of his breach of copyright. I closed my site as I don't want him to have the opportunity to copy my images before I get a chance to stop him.

Clare
On mission .htaccess
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2002, 08:23 AM

I need some help again,

I just can't seem to get my brain around this .htaccess I know my server supports it because I rang them. Heres what I understand can someone please put it together so I can get this working. Java didn't seem a problem but this just makes no sence to me - I have probably been staring at it for far to long!

So heres what I understand
-You have to upload the .htaccess file to the route directory of your site
-You have to use ASCII to upload it - not binary
-The folder that you place the file in protects all sub folders unless other wise stated.
-I have gained this code from reading the links that have been posted here. This aparently stops people linking into your site to sponge images

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://(www\.)imagepure.com/.*$ [NC]
RewriteRule \.(gif|jpg)$ - [F]

Does this go in the original .htaccess file or do you have to have this in your images directory in another .htaccess file and have another file in the route directory

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2002, 10:29 AM

Clare -- as of 9:22 am MST - your site is up and images are accessible to copying (right click disabled still).

Does this mean you figured out .htaccess or is there a problem shutting down your site?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2002, 10:34 AM

Na,

I just put my site back up, I am about to check if the htaccess has worked!

Clare

Ahhhhhhhhh! its still not working
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website