RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

AOL compression schemes

Old 01-07-2003, 10:02 AM

Debbie,

I DID try loading my page in Internet Explorer - and it showed the same compression scheme! I'm pretty sure AOL (I'm not sure what version my mother has) overwrites the IE provided with Windows and installs it's own version of IE over it. How else can I explain "Internet Explorer brought to you by AOL" in the title bar??

Granted, I tried IE after I'd already viewed the page in the AOL browser, so perhaps it just found the already compressed images in the Temporary Internet Files folder and used them. I'm not sure. I can't remember if I tried CTL-Refresh in the IE window or not. I'll try to do a little more investigation and figure that out. It sure threw me for a loop because I also always use IE after logging in via AOL (I have to use AOL when I visit my sister).

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2003, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeaniesa
Thinking more on the Flash idea (my brain is working overtime )... The problem with Flash is that it requires people to download a Flash player - which some people don't want to do - and there are others who won't wait to see what is contained in the Flash file and move on. Seems like it might deter some people from viewing my site - I just don't know how many.

Jeanie
That shouldn't be a big deal, since I saw a stat somewhere (but I can't remember for the life of me where) that 98% of people on the web have the flash plugin loaded. also, you can make a flash file that's not an animation and you can also use Jpeg compression for the output to .swf, so it can load fairly quickly (you just need to make sure the file isn't already compressed or you'll just run into the double compression again). another nice thing about flash is the animation features, you can do things with photos like having a restoration example fade from before to after when you do a rollover and things like that.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2003, 03:24 PM

I feel like my website is becoming more and more complex to implement - and I haven't even started putting it together yet!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2003, 08:38 PM

Forgot about that "brought to you by.." line Jeanie. You are probably right. It does seem to take over every possible aspect of the web.
Debbie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2003, 12:55 AM

Well, I played around a bit more on my mom's computer. She's running AOL 6.0 (and moving to non-AOL cable internet this month, so not going to upgrade AOL), so what I report here may be different for the newer AOL versions.

If AOL has compression turned on and a webpage is loaded, then it stores the compressed versions of the images in the cache. If IE (AOL) is then used to view the webpage, it uses those compressed images from the cache. If you hit refresh in IE, it still uses the compressed images from the cache. It isn't until you hit CTL-refresh that the uncompressed images are downloaded from the server. They overwrite the previous cache files so that if you go back to the AOL browser and hit the Reload button, it will display the cached uncompressed files (even with the compression preference set). CTL-Reload in the AOL browser does NOT download a new set of (compressed) files from the server.

Obviously no one actually browses the web like this. I was just trying to figure out why IE was showing me the compressed files the other day. As it turns out, if I were to first load a page from IE (without first loading in AOL), then there is no issue with compression. And, CTL-Refresh will solve the problem if compressed files are already stored in the cache.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website