RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

How much spam does your website generate?

Old 01-15-2003, 01:39 PM

ooh, excellent tip Leah, I never would have thought of doing it that way. right now I'm trying to learn PHP right now, so when I actually get a website up, I'll write a script using that for web based email so I can avoid as much spam as possible. (and if I ever do actually get that script done - I still have a long way to go for learning PHP - I'll definitely post it in the forums here somewhere for anybody who wants to use it)

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2003, 05:01 PM

Awesome info Leah! THANKS!! (I don't know that I'm "comfortable" with Javascript, but I'm not UNcomfortable with it. )

David, what would be the advantage of a PHP script over a Java script? Is it that some browsers don't support Java (and that's not an issue with PHP?)

My brain is about to explode!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2003, 06:32 PM

Try Cloudmark

You might try using Cloudmark. It is a plugin of sorts for Outlook that uses the contributions of all it's users to create a database of spam, It filters your incoming mail and sends the spam to a spam folder. YOu can unblock or block any mail. The mail you block gets sent to their database as spam and contributes in helping everyone else filter their email for the same emails. I know that probably doesn't make sense. I am not sure how to explain it more simple though (I am very tired right now).

I think it does a good job. I have never had it block a client's email and it seperates most of the junk. I just go thru the folder once every day or two and make sure there isn't anything in there I want to see, then I delete the contents.

http://www.cloudmark.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2003, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeaniesa
David, what would be the advantage of a PHP script over a Java script? Is it that some browsers don't support Java (and that's not an issue with PHP?)
Hi Jeanie,
the advantage to PHP (and the reason I'm learning it before I get into Javascript much) is that it's a server side language meaning that all the scripts you write run on the server then display as an HTML page for any browser eliminating the possibility of browser compatibility (which can definitely be a problem with javascript, the menu bar here is an example, a lot of people had problems with it, but as long as people keep their browsers updated it's generally not a problem) the other advantage to it is that your code is kept hidden since it only runs on the server and your page is output in HTML, where with javascript, your code is right there to anybody who decides to do a "View source". ASP is the same idea, but I prefer to go with the open source stuff and from what I've seen and learned so far, I like PHP better anyway.
Quote:
Originally posted by jeaniesa
My brain is about to explode!

Jeanie
I know how you feel, I feel like that all the time these days!!

- David

Last edited by d_kendal; 01-17-2003 at 03:55 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2003, 03:38 PM

Since general PHP info is a bit off-topic from the original purpose of this thread, I've continued the PHP discussion here.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2003, 04:04 PM

In relation to this discussion, worth pointing out that there's not much point writing the extra-cunning spambot-fooling scripts (as linked to above) in a server-side script (e.g. PHP, ASP) because all that will do is deliver the email address to the spambot as if you'd typed it in straight. Although you do get some programming practice, it's otherwise relatively futile as an exercise.

You could use server-side scripting to automate the conversion of email addresses into Unicode values, though, if you want to go down that route. If you're likely to want to do it on different pages and for different addresses this would save time in the long run.

If you want to write scripts to fool even spambots that can see through a Unicode disguise, you'll need to write them in a client-side scripting language such as JavaScript.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2003, 07:58 PM

My site attracts hardly any spam - nor does it's email.

My personal email gets heaps, as it is used in many online forums.

So my personal take is that bot's harvest more mail from mail lists/web forums than they do trawling the net.

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2003, 08:48 PM

Interesting Stephen. The e-mail address on the website I mentioned in my first post is actually an alias - never used to send any e-mail, only used to receive e-mail. It is only on the webpage, not used in any newsgroups or mailing lists. And it's up to about 10 spam messages per day at this point. My personal e-mail (associated with the same URL) is used on many e-mail lists, but I get almost no spam sent to that address. So, my experience seems to be exactly opposite from yours.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2003, 02:31 PM

On the Screensavers this week Megan had a tip about this. The link is here

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/d...414140,00.html

It looks very good and is free.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2003, 09:58 PM

OT, but hey, another TechTV addict here? ever since I got my sattelite system I've been watching the channel all the time, they've got some pretty decent shows one there. I missed that app, so thanks for the link Kevin, looks like a good program.

- David
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website