RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

How much spam does your website generate?

Old 01-14-2003, 11:29 AM

How much spam does your website generate?

Let me be a little more specific. The website for the non-profit organization I volunteer with has a simple hyperlink with our e-mail address (which then brings up a new message window using whatever the viewer's default mailer is.) The problem is that we get more junk mail on this address than "real" mail. Is there a way to get around this?

I'm working on my own website at the moment and I really don't want to generate a bunch of spam for myself. If I were to create a form with a "click to submit" button, does that get around the web trawlers looking for e-mail addresses to spam? (I realize I can use MailWasher, but I'm wondering if there's a way to stop the mail at the source?)

Thanks,
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2003, 10:19 PM

Unfortunately, the spiders used for trawling email addresses look at the html source and probably search for items like mailto and @. Retouchpro's way of protecting the email addresses is quite good, but that will probably also be hacked sometime.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2003, 10:25 PM
Janitor

A web-only email interface will cut down on spam. It will also cut down on emails in general, since some people (like me) don't like them.

You'd think that with RP and my other websites I'd get a ton of spam, but I really don't. Of course, definitions of 'ton' vary, but I'd guess I get maybe 5 a day.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2003, 06:14 AM

When you recieve each piece of spam and down load it it sends a ping back to the source - this tells the sender of the spam that the email address is active and they will send you even more spam.

To avoid the inicial spam ping you can use a program such as Lydia. This program allows you to look at the list of the emails you have recieved. You can then open each email and it gives the first 20 lines in the email - this way you can check the content of the email - if you then notice that it is spam or a possible virus, you can simply delete the message with out down loading it and avoid the ping that will send you some more spam.

I have been using a program like this since I put up my web site and don't recieve that much spam because the spiders think the email address is not active and move on to bother others

Hope this helps

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2003, 10:22 AM

Al, I was afraid the trawlers were searching HTML - which is why I asked the question.

Doug, I feel the same way about web-only e-mail interfaces, which is why I asked this question to begin with. Since Al mentioned it, can you explain how the hiding of e-mail address on RP works? Is that part of the forum software, or was it an addition that you programmed in?

Clare - thanks for the info on Lydia (and the info on pinging - I hadn't realized that.) Do you (or anyone) happen to know how Lydia compares to Mailwasher? It looks like they both work with messages still on the server, but it appears that Mailwasher then allows you to download to your preferred e-mail browser, while Lydia is the e-mail browser. Is that right?

Thanks everyone for your responses. I find I'm worrying about the strangest details as I design my site!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2003, 10:33 AM

Hi Jeanie,

Lydia can be used as a email program but I don't use it this way. I check my headers delete what I don't want and then use eudora as my email program. (I am not a fan of outlook!)

I don't know about the mail washer program. Lydia is very easy to set up and if you have broadband you can set it to check your mail every 10-15-60- minutes depending on how oftern you want it check and then it tells you when you have new mail.

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2003, 10:38 AM

Thanks Clare. The way you describe it, it sounds very similar to Mailwasher.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2003, 10:45 AM
Janitor

Email addresses here aren't really hidden. If you type your email address in a post you'll be vulnerable for spam. But the forum software makes it so that there's no reason to ever do that, since you can email any member with a mouseclick, and you have the option to turn what little email functionality it offers completely off via your control panel.

But ultimately it's just web-based email, except it knows who the sender is and prevents non-members from using it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2003, 10:59 AM

Got it - thanks Doug. -Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2003, 01:31 PM

Jeanie,

One possible technique to stop them harvesting your email address from your website is to use the Unicode values to code the characters of your email address:

@ @ E E M M U U c c k k s s
. . F F N N V V d d l l t t
- - G G O O W W e e m m u u
_ _ H H P P X X f f n n v v
A A I I Q Q Y Y g g o o w w
B B J J R R Z Z h h p p x x
C C K K S S a a i i q q y y
D D L L T T b b j j r r z z

e.g. fred@abc.com would become fred@abc.com

Unfortunately SOME spambots can still parse that too...

If you are really keen to foil their evil plots and are comfortable with Javascript then check out this page which discusses a variety of even better (and so far undefeatable) options.

Hope this helps...

Leah
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website