Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Taking the plunge

Old 01-18-2003, 05:26 PM
Hi Doug. Thanks for the information. That's a good breakdown on the choices. If I was wanting to enhance my Resume' then Dreamweaver would be the way to go. But right now I simply want to do this one thing and get back to my Photoshop work. I wish I had more time, my company wants me to update my Novell certifications and then get my Cisco certifications. Man, I'm getting too old for all this. Those certifications are a lot of work for me. I'm not sure my heart is in it this time around.

Thanks again Doug, you've given me a lot to think about.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2003, 08:55 PM
I found that basic web page development was pretty easy, once I knew the basics of how html worked. My website isn't elaborate, but it does what I need. I'm not a rocket scientist, so I figure if I can do it, how hard can it be?
I agree with Margaret, and Doug. Once you know what the different tags do, let a program like Front Page do it for you. The more you know, the more control you'll have.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2003, 04:49 PM

Hi folks, I've been reading about HTML and Javascript and CSS and Perl until my eyes are bleeding but this is the first mention I've come across about the importance of "Doctype" so I thought I'd pass it along in case you might find it useful.

Article about DOCTYPE

I'm working on a web site for my son's business so of course I want to do a good job. Well, all weekend I worked on it and was making no progress - when I read the above article, the lights came on

As with a lot of web pages, I need to use tables to keep things in line (I know there are other ways, but I'm not there yet)

I decided to use one of the "many" web development applications that I have kicking around to mark up the main tables so I wouldn't have to do all that typing - well, I couldn't get those (*^&*^(*%*^&%(^ table to draw properly no matter what I did. Now when I look at the Doctype of the documents that old program produced, I can see why.

I eventually took my own advice and used a text editor and found it worked fine,

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2003, 06:29 PM
Thanks Vikki, congratulations maybe premature. I have a ways to go yet. The deeper I get into this project the bigger it gets. I'm going to start taking it slow and easy, I think I was moving too fast. Right now I have more questions than answers. Even when I get the Web page ready I'm not sure I am ready for a Web presence.

Anyway, I've bought Front Page 2002 after fighting with the 30 eval copy for a couple of days. Microsoft has a problem with with the earlier release of FP 2002. It will work just fine with a simple one page document. But as soon as you go to multiple pages it simply crashes. I went to the Microsoft site to see if there was an update but the update wizard said that the update that I needed was already installed. Hmmmm, so I bought a copy at Office Depot and installed it. Same problem! So I go online again to see if I could find some help at their site. Now that I had the retail version installed the update wizard said that I needed an update. I ran the update and the problem was resolved finally. So much for a 30 evaluation!

A couple of years ago after I installed my first Linux server I played with Apachie and HTML for a little while. Of course I forgot most of it because I didin't use it again for a long time. I think I am going to be happy with Front Page. Maybe this will let me concentrate more on Photo retouching and not spend all my time learning HTML and the other things needed to design and maintain my Web page.

Thanks for your input too Margaret.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website