RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Taking the plunge

Old 01-18-2003, 09:13 AM

Taking the plunge

Well I have previously stated that I was not going to have a web presence. Now I have been offered a real good deal from a local hosting company, good friends with my Son, and I can't pass it up. So now I am going to have to learn to create a web page. I hate to admit it but I have no experience with this segment of technology.

My plans are to buy Microsoft Front Page 2002. Is this a good route to take for a beginner with very little spare time?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2003, 09:50 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hi Keven,

I can't answer your question, but I'd like to offer my congratulations. Best of luck with your new venture.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2003, 10:17 AM

Hi Ed. How's that joke go, last week I couldn't spell Entrepreneur and now I are one. Just hope I'm not moving too fast. So far the learning curve is straight up. Thanks for your well wishes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2003, 10:36 AM

Hi Keven,

Good luck with your new venture, I think you made a good choice. My web site is up now TRIMOON.COM I've been working on & off for the past two weeks and am still working on it. Living here in Florida, I have an abundance of opportunity for my kind of shots (Nature). Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2003, 10:39 AM

Thumbs down Re: Taking the plunge

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBE

My plans are to buy Microsoft Front Page 2002. Is this a good route to take for a beginner with very little spare time?
Kevin, I think you'll have no problems at all. Front Page had a deservedly bad rep in the early days but with the newer versions it's become a very choice. I now use it almost exclusively, even for big corporate sites that we develop. It's been easy to teach to clients who want to make minor changes themselves, whereas the learning curve in programs like Dreamweaver were just too intimidating.

I'll be happy to help you in any way, so feel free to contact me.

June
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2003, 11:10 AM

Hi Trimoon, thanks for your comments. I really like what you have done on your site. It's very eye appealing and yet to the point. The images are displayed very well. I hope I can do something as well layed out as yours.

Thanks for your input June. I guess I'll just dive in and see if I can swim. If nothing else it should be good experience. I don't know why I have ignored this segment of technology all this time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2003, 12:27 PM

Thumbs up The voice of experience here....

Hi Kevin,
FrontPage might be a good page generator, but for your first foray into page development, I would recommend that you follow the advice in this tutorial:

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/primers/basics.html

The author recommends using WordPad for your first effort and I agree for the following reasons:

1. If you use FrontPage, you aren't learning the HTML tags and how to use them. When things go wrong (as they surely will) you may not know how to fix them.
2. Page generators such as FrontPage put in some of their own references and code (that's how they keep track of what you're doing) and again when things go wrong, you might inadvertently delete something that's important to them.
3. All that extra "stuff" that FrontPage puts into your HTML documents is more "weight" that you have to worry about downloading.

Once you can build a few basic pages in WordPad, then by all means graduate to FrontPage or whatever - Netscape has "Composer" built right in and it's not a bad page generator, and the best part, it's FREE!

Hope this helps,
Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2003, 01:25 PM

I should say I use NetObjects Fusion 7 for my web page.

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2003, 04:04 PM

Thanks guys, good advice all. Thanks for the link Margaret. That will give me a good start.

Steve, I thought that your page looked a little advanced for Front Page. But hey, I can hope.

Guess I'm going to have to take my Son up on his offer to help. He wants to learn web development and it would be a lot of help if he could at least get the page off the ground until I had time to catch up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2003, 05:44 PM
Janitor

Frontpage is a wonderful editor. It offers an easy learning curve, and has some advanced features. On the downside, it uses some unique paradigms, so if you ever outgrow it you'll have a harder time than most learning new software.

I used to use Netobjects Fusion, and I still admire it. It's the closest anyone has ever come to a true WYSIWYG web editor. If you've ever used a DTP program like Pagemaker or Quark, you already know how to use Fusion. Unfortunately, once you get into more advanced design it gets a little complicated, but I still wish more programs would work like Fusion.

Dreamweaver is the current cross-company, cross-platform standard editor of choice. It's powerful, extensible, does everything well, and no one will ever giggle at you for using it. Its learning curve is a bit steeper than others, but really not too bad, especially if you've had some experience already.

I use Adobe Golive. It's a bit quirky, but getting better. It has a lot of fanatical supporters, but I'm not one of them. I simply like it because it seamlessly integrates with Photoshop, which saves me so much time on a site like this. It's closer to WYSIWYG than Dreamweaver, but its also not as reliable.

An overlooked editor that I like very much is the free one that comes with Netscape. It doesn't have the most advanced features, but it makes sense to just about everyone the first time they use it, and has no proprietary ways that will need to be unlearned later on.

I do like the idea of practising with a text editor, but IMHO using any of the above in source mode will teach the same lesson more painlessly. You need to know how HTML works, but there is no need to have all the codes memorized and to be able to hand-code from scratch. If there is, I'm in trouble, since I couldn't do it
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website