RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Amazing tool

Old 01-26-2003, 12:44 PM

Hi Clare,

The closest I've found to different platforms/browsers is this page that has a group of "favelets" that change the screen size. Just select the size you want to text and click on the link - your window will resize. Not perfect, but it will give you an idea.

http://tantek.com/favelets/

BTW: favelets and bookmarklets are bits of code that execute in the URL line of your web browser. There are thousands of them out on the internet - just do a search on Google for favelets or bookmarklets and see what you can find.

I also have one that will show the edges of tables on a page, one that shows the edges of divs and another that shows all the stylesheets attached to a page - very useful when you're trying to get a page laid out properly.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll post them - after I find out where I got them LOL

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 01:23 PM

Clare, I swear I read recently of a site that will show how your webpage looks in a variety of browsers, but I can't find it now for the life of me.

However, there is a site where you can download just about any version of any browser that you can think of:
Browser archives

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 02:57 PM

I couldn't find a site that emulates the different browsers - just the ones that change the screen sizes and that's not quite the same thing.

This site has several useful tools - links to W3C varification, link checker, meta tag checker as well as the tools to change the screen sizes.

The favelets page I mentioned above has some screen sizes not mentioned in this page (the Palm Pilot for one LOL)

http://www.anybrowser.com/index.html

Hope this helps, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2003, 03:31 PM

Here's a site that gives a pretty detailed report of your pages:

http://www.fixingyourwebsite.com/drhtml.html

I couldn't get it to work with local files, but it does a nice job of pages that are on the server.

PS/ I have work to do. Is this work? Yah, how can I work if I don't have the right tools?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2003, 07:04 AM

Thanks Margret and Jeanie,

Those have gone straight on my bookmarks list - to useful to lose.

Dr Htlm the bottom link gave a very good clear indication including incorrect spelling and if the code was supported by different browsers. I have started my new site and boy is this going to be easier than the trial and error method I have been using upto now.

Thanks you have just released several days of hair pulling from my life and alowed them to be used up for photography

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2003, 07:43 AM

I have done a quick search for calculators and found these sites that might be of interest

http://www.phpclub.net/index.phtml?m=138

http://javascript.internet.com/calculators/

hope one of these helps

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2003, 09:19 AM

Another serious timesaver....

I just discovered this and I'm very excited.

I usually spent the weekend searching for new goodies to add to my web development stash and have mostly used the "add to favorites" or "bookmark this page" browser functions.

Then when my bookmark files get so big they won't open any more, I go through and purge them, sometimes throwing away good stuff because I get tired of trying to figure out what it is - the "organize bookmarks" function is a joke.

BUT there is a solution.

If you have Netscape, it comes with it's own HTML editor (Composer)and you can create links on a page by simply dragging them to the Composer page and Composer creates the link and while the information is still fresh in your mind, you can type in a description that will (hopefully) be meaningful to you later.

Save the Composer page to somewhere on your harddrive (where you can find it again LOL) and bookmark the saved page - then when you want to find something that you saved, select the bookmark for your page and voila! there are your important links with dscriptions.

You can also reopen the page in Composer and add to it.

To keep things organized, you can add various headings to group related topics etc.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website