RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Contact Information

Old 02-04-2003, 10:00 AM

Kevin, those people-data search engines like Switchboard, etc. must use the phone book for their info because I don't show up when I search for my name. I have an unpublished phone number.

David, I think your strategy sounds good. Serious customers would like to know your general location, and you can screen in those serious customers either through the email or phone calls. I'd use a freebie email address, of course, rather than my main one, as I'm sure you'll do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2003, 10:09 AM

CJ - just wondering why a "freebie" e-mail address? It seems to me that a paid-for e-mail address adds some credibility to your legitimacy - especially if you're not going to put your street address on the site.

If the freebie address is b/c of the spam it will generate, there was another thread discussing that issue here.

If for another reason, I'm curious.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2003, 10:31 AM

I have to agree with Jeanie. When I see blah@hotmail.com on a website I don't get the impression of a professional. Truthfully, even when I see a site with an address like blah@aol.com, I have serious reservations.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2003, 11:05 AM

I was just thinking about avoiding spam. If the website provides it's own email address, that would be fine. I would not use my email reserved for family and friends. I hate spam. I don't want to delete it - I want to not get it in the first place. Just my opinion.

I will have to read more about Kevin's suggestion - Hivelogic Email Address Encoder.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2003, 11:23 AM
Janitor

I considered putting my contact info on my site, but I work out of my home and firmly believe only very brave people put their home address up on the web. If I worked out of an office or storefront I'd have my address up in a heartbeat, along with a map and driving instructions.

I've said before that the web is not the best way to find customers for work such as ours, and that most customers want to work locally, with someone they can meet and hand their one-of-a-kind heirloom photos to in-person. I feel that, if I did put an address on my website, I would get more local business, but probably also less non-local business.

I get next to zero spam via my work website.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2003, 11:29 AM

Spam....

I just have to gloat for a minute here

The built-in mail program in the latest version of Mac OS is really good at handling spam. You train it to recognize junk and lets you bounce unwanted mail so it looks like your address isn't valid - hopefully the spammers will remove your address from their list.

In about a week, I've gone from 100+ spam messages a day to less than 10.

End of gloat.

It won't be long until the other mail programs catch up and provide the same kind of relief and then the spammers will catch up and ........

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2003, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CJ Swartz
David, I think your strategy sounds good. Serious customers would like to know your general location, and you can screen in those serious customers either through the email or phone calls. I'd use a freebie email address, of course, rather than my main one, as I'm sure you'll do.
CJ - I'll be keeping my main address (the one from my internet provider) for personal mail, and I'll create email addresses at the domain name of my site for inquiries (i.e. inquiries@businessname.com etc.)
I agree with Jeanie and chiquitita, if I saw a site using Hotmail or one of those others for the main email I'd be a little worried about credibility.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2003, 05:51 PM

The other day I saw an add on TV, I can't remember the product, but I remember giving them low regard when I saw them list their e-mail as blabla@hotmail.com My hosting company has offered me several e-mail addresses from my own site. I have been wondering how well this was going to work.

CJ I tried to take my own advice and I checked out the hivelogic link. As far as I can tell the download is a java script. Since I don't have java or speak java it wont do me any good rightnow. They do offer an online e-mail spoof script generator. It only works from the account you have set up in outlook on the PC you are browsing with. I want to spoof kevin@restored-memories.com . I will have to spend more time investigating this. They seem to have a compiled program for MAC OS only, but I may have moissed something.

I'm going to have to give this identity thing more thought. It is very thought provoking.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2003, 06:49 PM

Hi Kevin, I went to the Hiveware site and was able to convert my email address (which isn't an outlook Pc email)

I'm on a mac, so it's possible they put up a different page for Macs.

The conversion ends up being a bit of Javascript code that you put in the head of your page - and you have to alter it so it shows up where you want it to. I just made sure it would work, haven't tried to figure out where to put it yet.

As far as the applications they offer - there is indeed a Mac OS version, but at the bottom of the products page, there is a Java (which is not the same as Javascript by the way) version that should run on your computer as long as you have Java Runtime Enviroment on your computer. If you have a newer version of Windows, you probably have the JRE unless you took it off for some reason.

If none of the above works for you, I'd be happy to encode your address and send it to you.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2003, 07:15 PM

Hi Margaret, I wonder how it knew my e-mail address then. It didn't ask me for an address before it ran. I don't believe in magic so I assumed it must have found the address on my PC somehow. A cookie maybe? Maybe I need to turn my cookie controls up a notch. I don't like the idea that a site could get that kind of info by itself. I had expected the program to ask me for my address.

I have a fairly new load of XP Pro on my PC and Windows didn't know what to do with that file. I probably should be able to locate and install the java runtime program now that I know what I need.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website