RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

OK it's online

Old 03-05-2003, 10:43 PM

I took a better look at that one type of gallery in Frontpage that allows comments on the viewing page. It just might work good afterall. I think I will work up a gallery based on that format and see what it looks like. It would be better to have the entire site lok the same.

Also according to Microsoft it takes up to 4 weeks for Google to list your site after you submit it. So I may have 2 more weeks of silence. It'll gie me more time to get ready.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2003, 02:25 AM

kevin - you can try this page for the download of that "1st page" program, it seemed to work fine for me.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2003, 02:52 AM

Hi Kevin,

I have just taken a look at your home page source code and found the following
-----
</head>
<meta http-equiv="keywords" content="geneology Lake Charles Louisiana picture CD photo archive photo restoration photo restore photograph restoration Restored Memories">
------

The meta keywords should be in between the <head> and the </head> and each word should have a comma inbetween it. To back up the meta keyword you should also have a description tag. Here is a possibility of how it should read

-----
<title>Photograph Restoration at Restored-Memories.com</title>
<meta name="keywords" content="geneology, Lake Charles Louisiana, picture CD, photo, archive, photo restoration, photo restore, photograph, restoration, Restored Memories >
<meta name="description" content="Photographic Restoration at Restored-Memories.com>

The description will back up the wording in the meta keywords and the title to give you a better placement in the search engines.

Google took about a month to originally start linking to my old site,
although I did spend several days submitting the site to a whole bunch of search engines.

Hope this helps

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2003, 04:29 PM

Thanks David for the new link. I'm going to give that program a run and see how my site works at the different resolutions. It is not real fun changing the resolution on my PC several different times to see how the site is displayed. Also that looks like a good editor. I might just go ahead and get the book you mentioned and spend some quality time with HTML.

Thanks for the tips on the tags Clare. Looks like you have done the syntax corrections for me. I should be able to insert your work in to replace what I have. Like I told David I am going to dive right in and get up to speed on HTML. It looks like Frontpage doesn't necessarily always create clean code. I took CJ's advice and ran my home page through DR HTML 's site and it found a lot of errors.

I'm also going to work on the Frontpage version of the gallery tonight.

Thanks again guys.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2003, 06:37 PM

CJ;

Just wanted you to know that I did read you comments made at my site. I haven't been able to figure out how this data should be presented to me yet. Right now I have to open results.htm in the _private subdirectory on the site. I have asked my host to see if he can determine how this data should be presented to me. So far he hasn't responded. Just editing that file will be a very poor way for me to get the results back. The file has no formatting and no delimitation, ie its just a bunch of words all bunched together in that file. I know I am missing something here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2003, 07:11 PM

Kevin,

Looking in my FrontPage book for what to do with form results (I assume your comments page is a form)...

1. Right-click anywhere on the form while in with WYSIWYG view and you should be able to select "Form Properties" from the pop-up menu.

2. To configure the Save Results component, click the Options button. One option is to e-mail the results to you, but you need to make sure that your web server has identified an SNMP mail server to the FrontPage Server Extensions. (Please don't ask me to explain that - I'm just copying it out of my book. )

You can both save toa file AND send an e-mail with the results. If you want to continue to save to a file, click on the "Options" button and you'll be able to specify the format the form results are saved in, e.g. HTML, formatted text, text database using comma as separator, etc. (FWIW, the example that's shown in the book for HTML looks very readable.)

Hope this helps a little.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2003, 08:15 PM

Thank you Jeannie, that is just what I needed to hear. I don't know why the book I have doesn't cover setting those properties. It's kind of funny that it goes to great discussions on how to create the page but doesn't cover what to do with the results. I have now set the page up properly thanks to you. Guess I didn't buy enough books.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2003, 08:35 PM

Yeah! Glad that helped Kevin.

Have you tried looking at your library for technical books? I have found it really helps to try using a book before purchasing it. I have a bunch of books sitting on my desk right now that I know I will never buy either b/c they don't contain info that's helpful to what I want to do - or b/c they explain things in a way which is impossible for me to understand. OTOH, I have found a few gems which have made things seem really simple - and I've purchased those!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2003, 08:44 PM

That's a good idea Jeannie. Don't know why I haven't thought about that. It sure sounds like a good idea, I have no idea what they have at our public library. I guess I need to find out. Sounds cheaper too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2003, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clare
The meta keywords should be in between the <head> and the </head> and each word should have a comma inbetween it.
Actually, it's better to *not* comma deliniate your keywords, for what they are worth. By not separating them by commas, you're essentially making all of the available for different permutations of common keywords.

And it does take a while for the search engines to find you. When last I checked, Google hadn't even started to dance yet for this month, so the cycle could be even longer than a month there.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website