RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

OK it's online

Old 03-06-2003, 11:00 PM

OK, here I go again. I took a hard look at the gallery situation and made a decission to try the Frontpage gallery. The style I chose is kind of a table layout, but not really a table. I decided to quit fighting Frontpage and conform to the rules that it likes to play by and I think we might get along better now.

I thought that it was important that I add a lot of descriptive text along with the photos in the view mode. But I guess if I do it right the pictures should be self-explainatory and no other comments needed. What do you think? I will admit that the photoshop gallery might have looked a little better but it was going to be a bear to administer. The Frontpage galley will be simple to modify and maintain.

I also corrected many small things, hopefully not making any more in the process. Well I am through making changes for tonight, everything is starting to blurr.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2003, 11:20 PM

Hi Kevin,

I like the look of the new gallery. Unfortunately, with the thumbnail table three cells wide, it makes the page too wide even on my 1024x768 display. It looks like you have three examples for each of the Basic, Moderate and Major restorations, so perhaps that's why you chose that number. However, I think that if you are able to specify the number of cells across, I would change it to two. That should help with the page width problem a lot!

Also, I know you don't want to play outside of Frontpages rules, but if it were me (and take this for what it's worth, b/c I always get myself into trouble with my big ideas! ), I would change the HTML code the FP generates for the HREF link. It looks like it's a direct link to your JPG files. You could change that to create your own HTML page to include the picture in - along with descriptive text - and then change the HREF to refer to the HTML file rather than the JPG image. Just a thought. You've had more headaches with FP than I, so it's up to you if you want to try that. If I were viewing your site for the first time and I didn't know much about restoration, I would want to know what you had to do to fix the image. But, I'm also an information junkie and perhaps I'm not "the norm."

Looking good!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2003, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by themanda
Actually, it's better to *not* comma deliniate your keywords, for what they are worth. By not separating them by commas, you're essentially making all of the available for different permutations of common keywords.
Thanks Themanda,

Its all so much to learn, I was told to seperate the words with a comma, I will try it without - thanks for the advice. Sorry for the mis information Kevin

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2003, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the insite Jeannie. I had failed to consider the screen size factor. Nice thing is that I can just simply make changes to the proterties of the gallery and the changes will be imediate. With the Adobe gallery I had to make a lot of manual changes after regenerating a new gallery.

I really like your idea to modify the thumbnail operation. But, if I do that it will make updates more complicated. I'll look at it though.

Clare don't worry about the info. That change was easy to correct.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2003, 01:26 PM

OK Jeannie I went home for lunch and in about 15 seconds I changed the format of the gallery. I can add a large description text entry to each one of these thumbnails and it will display the description right under the picture in the viewing window. My question about this format is are most visitors going to be able to recognize that they have to click on the arrows to make the thumbnails scroll to see the remaining thumbnails. It seems to me that this might be deal breaker but I want to know what you guys think. Adding the descriptions tonight will be an easy task. I just didn't have a lot of time at lunch.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2003, 02:35 PM

Kevin,

I like it. If you're worried about people not knowing what the arrows mean, then just edit the graphic in PS and add the text you want. E.g., see my attachment here. Then, just replace the FP generated arrow with your edited one. If you keep the name the same, you won't need to change any code. Do keep a separate copy of your edited one though b/c I have a feeling if you update the gallery, your edited one will be overwritten.

You need to decide what screen width you're targeting though. This version is still quite wide. If you look at line 41 in your gallery page code, you'll notice that your table with is set to 1119. That's pretty wide! What happens on my display is that I have to scroll to the right to see your navigation links. I think that's because your large gallery images are 700 px wide. (Can you specify that when you set up the gallery?)

To help you determine how wide your images can be without causing a horizontal scrollbar, you need to look at the fixed width of the other columns in the table that lays out your page design. Specifically

105 - left column that contains the thumbnail design we all like
19 - left border of vertical navigation bar
150 - navigation buttons
87 - right bar
-----
361 - total

So, if you want to design for a 800 px wide screen, and you take into account the vertical scroll bar in the browser window (about 25px, giving you 775 px to work with in your design), then

775-361=414 px (the maximum width for your gallery examples, less if you want some cellpadding (i.e., buffer) between the edges of your image and the surrounding page elements.)

For a 1024 px wide display, work with 999 and

999-361=638 px (the mazimum width for gallery ex. for 1024 px)

I know that really doesn't seem like much room. I'm running into the same problem with my site. The table design you had before is actually a little better in this regard b/c the image opened in a new window without the extra site design elements around it. That allowed the image to be larger without causing the horizontal scroll bar.

Sorry, I wish I had some easy answers for you!! I hope this makes some sense. I'm dealing with the same thing myself. (Though just in my head b/c I haven't actually tried to implement anything yet.)

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2003, 03:47 PM

Hey Jeannie, No problems on adjusting the picture size that is one of the properties that are dynamic. All those settings can be changed on the fly. I'll check it out when I get home.

That is one advantage to the Frontpage gallery. Maintanence is not going to be a problem. I will try to come up with an attractive way to let my visitors know that the thumbnails do scroll.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2003, 04:36 PM

Doh - I knew I'd forget to attach that graphic!! OK, this time for sure!

Jeanie
Attached Images
File Type: gif next.gif (222 Bytes, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2003, 05:31 PM

Thanks Jeanie, that looks just like what I need. How come you keep letting me spell your name wrong. I just woke up and saw what I was doing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 12:32 AM

Kevin

Great site!

In regards to the gallery problem of the menu not fitting on the screen at 800x600; If you want to keep the format of the before and after photos being next to each other - that means that your horizontal real estate is very precious. You might consider moving your menu to a horizontal strip under the header, unless you have plans for additional ways to use your "menu strip" in the future that this would mess up ...

You might consider a FAQ page with a link to contact page to add a suggested question. If you do a lot of web work from shipped / mailed originals you might state your policies and preferred methods / insurance, etc.

You might add a gaurantee policy to the price list if you have one.

I might have missed it, normal turn around times?

Roger
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website