RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

OK it's online

Old 02-16-2003, 09:45 PM

I love what you have so far! Very clean and professional looking. A couple of quick things - The word "Genealogy" is pretty hard to read on the left hand side. Also, you might consider creating a more refined logo for "Restored Memories" just to set the name of your business off from the rest of the text.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2003, 09:52 PM
Janitor

ablrule.gif is what's spreading it out. It's 600 pixels wide by itself.

I like 800 pixels wide as a maximum. It doesn't really make much sense to measure vertically. RP is 750 pixels wide, with a little extra for the menubar.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2003, 09:56 PM

I'd go with 800 pixels wide...but you could always mess around with auto stretching tables to make the site size itself for various resolutions!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2003, 09:58 PM

Hi Greg. Thanks for your comments. I haven't been happy with the sidebar graphic either. The capital G in that font is not very readable to start with. I will try and see if I can redesign those graphics without changing the whole decor of the site. The main thing I like about the current design is the color scheme. I'll need to find some graphic elements that compliment the current theme.

I'm still working on a real logo. I've tried several things and am not happy with anything yet. The logo I used on my business card doesn't look good on the Web page. So you could say I am logo challenged right now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2003, 10:02 PM

Kevin - you should post your business card logo...we might have some ideas for converting it to the web. I used to work in a place where I created a lot of logos for small companies and it can be difficult to create something that translates well to all media.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2003, 10:13 PM

Thanks for researching that problem Doug. I deleted those horizontal lines and now the site should compress down to 800 easily. That is the reason I designed the site like this so that it would compress and expand to compliment all resolutions.

OK Greg I'll post the business card and see what you guys can come up with. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg business card for web.jpg (85.7 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2003, 12:56 AM
Janitor

I'd advise using an obviously antique photo for your card, or people will think that it's a picture of you (this happened to me). Of course, if it IS a picture of you...
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2003, 02:00 AM

Kevin, I found some difficulty in the navigation:
Main Page and Home Page make me think they should be the same thing.

On the Products page, you suddenly get extra menu items. Some kind of break between the "regular" items and the new ones could be useful in grouping them (you'll probably be stumped by FP on this one ). What sometimes helps is to have the main menu across the top, and submenus on the side.

On the Restoration page, there a new menu items again, with no way to the Manipulation and Archive pages.

Expanding menus could be what you're looking for.

On the manipulation page, I'd change grey scale to black and white (the man on the street won't understand greyscale). In the same sentence, I'm not sure of the American spelling but in UK English, the last word is spelt "blurring"

On the archiving page, it appears there should be a picture on the left of the paragraph (part of the paragraph is indented). In the first paragraph you say the following:
"We use only the highest quality Gold impregnated CD-ROM disks. The normal CD-ROM disks you see on sale for a low price use blue or green dye recording media and can be erased with exposure to sunlight. The CD-ROM disks we use are guaranteed to last in excess of 100 years, excluding physical damage of course."
The CD is not impregnated with gold, but rather has a gold reflective layer. Also, unless you have your discs (note the "c" used in spelling for optical media) checked regularly by someone like Media Sciences, you should be wary of claiming 100 years longevity. All discs suffer from degradation in sunlight, regardless of the dye used.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2003, 05:43 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hi Kevin,

I'm a little late on this thread (been busy). I think the site looks fantastic! One thing I noticed is when you said " Whether you visit us on the Web or at our place of business, please feel free to browse,". I think this gives you credibility, and gives the potential customer a better feeling about doing business with someone they don't know. Regarding the business card, I really like the looks of it, but I agree with Doug. I also thought it was a picture of you when it was loading. Super job! You've put a lot of work into it, and it shows.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2003, 09:51 AM

Good morning.

Doug I think you are right about the business card. I had the same thoughts. I need to re-think the design on the business card. I don't think that most people would notice that one picture was restored and the other not. The pictures are too small to be effective. Those pictures are of my father-in-law and not me.

BigAl, you really have given me some good information. I appreciate the work you put into the responce. I'm not satisfied with the menus either and will give them a lot more thought. I am thinking of removing the splash page ( the Home page) and making the Main page the Home page. I just need to figure out how to do it. I am using Frontpage 2002 and I'm far from being an expert at this.

Ed, you aren't late at all. I hope this thread keeps going for a while longer. This has been invaluable help for me. Maybe I will get most of the bugs out of my site with everyones help. I thank you for the flowers Ed. There were a lot of other things I should have been doing while I was working on this project. But, I am glad I have spent the time learning how to do this myself.

It's hard to find your own mistakes. I appreciate everyone helping me get this site right.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website