RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

OK it's online

Old 02-17-2003, 03:58 PM

Hi Kevin,

you've obviously done a lot of work on this site already, and it shows, I like what you've done. just a couple suggestions:
you might want to change the <title> tag inside the <head> area of your HTML since right now it's just displaying the site URL or page name (New Page 1). if you want to change it, just type whatever you want to appear in the browser between <title></title> and put it anywhere inside the <head> tags.
also, are you able to create new email aliases at your domain? if you are, I'd recommend creating seperate addresses for the different types of inquiries (i.e. sales@restored-memories.com, support@restored-memories.com)
the only other thing I noticed (and it's probably because you're still creating it..) but the gallery page is just displaying some text and things (see attachment).
overall, it's looking good and easily navigatable.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2003, 04:31 PM

Thanks CJ. That's a good site to visit. I'll take advantage of that.

Thanks David, I've caught some of the page headings. Frontpage has some funny quirks. It automatically changes some of the page titles to match the file name and not others.

I hope to get the new and improved version up this evening. I keep running into other things that need changing. Now I have to solve the font proglem.

I am going to have to put the logo on the top right hand graphic. The text area on the left side of the top is the crush zone where the page is allowed to compress. If I put a graphic all the way accross the top the page will not be able to compress down for lower resolutions.

Last edited by KevinBE; 02-17-2003 at 04:43 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2003, 04:58 PM

Kevin;

I like the page. To the point. But when I use IE 6 and go to the gallery page I see no pictures and the language is not one I read. Everything below the "contact us" heading is in the old language.
Maybe me, and I do seem to be the only one to have said this...Hum.

FYI this is what I get:

Ipsum lorem
vei illum sat dolor euis mod tincidunt vei auminiure dolor in esse. Ulta ceet dolore magna si napi. Wisi e nim admin im veniam, quis nostrud. In atsvulpate velt esse meleste at semper manet sola.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2003, 05:17 PM

Hi Lacto. That page isn't being used. I have deleted it in the new and improved version. I hope to upload it tonight. That text is the giberish that the template installs when it creates the page.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2003, 08:30 PM

OK, the Restored-Memories.com version 2.0 is online. I think most of the mechanical, gramatical, and general content is complete, of course you'll tell me if this is so or not.

The link bar along the top is not the way I want it to be but I couldn't find any better alternative, so for now I'll go with this. I will be studying and looking for a better answer.

I'm also not happy with the gallery examples I have. Microsoft after all these years still hasn't improved the way graphic and text interact. This will just take me more time to figure out.

Anyway, kick the tires and let me know what else needs attention. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2003, 12:40 AM

hey kevin,

I'm still getting the "Ipsum lorem" thing when I go to the gallery page (I've tried clearing the cache and trying different browsers but still no success). also, if I go to the "Main page", I don't have any menu, so I have to go back to your main splash page to navigate to anywhere else. I know how frustrating it can be to try and debug a web site, hang in there!!

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2003, 12:49 AM

I think you're onto a winning streak now Kevin. When a visitor doesn't have to think about the navigation, then you've got it right

(Found another spelling mistake on the Major Restoration page moire needs an i).

David, I don't have the problem that you're having. There is no link to the gallery that I can find in the new pages. Also, there's no longer a splash page - the index page and the home page are now the same (which I like). Are you maybe running thru a proxy server? Could be that the proxy server cache is still hanging on to the old pages??
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2003, 01:14 AM

whoops, my bad, it was my own problem (I only tried Opera and IE) when I went to the page in Netscape, I'm finally seeing the new page, and it's looking good, much improved. you can ignore my last post Kevin!

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2003, 01:29 PM

Thoughts/Suggestions

Kevin

I like your site...and compliment you on your efforts, both in learning and producing a working site. I too am working on building my site and with the sugguestions you're getting, the work you're doing as well as other sites out there, I look forward to getting mine critiqued as well.

Anyhow, here are some thoughts...much different than the first time I looked at it, so here I go.

The "top" navigation bar area is a different height on the Products page than all your other pages, a minor inconsistency.

I (personally) would like to not see the top navigation links when on the main Products page, but then once you click on Restoration, have the 3 navigation links appear. Oh, line them up on the nav bar so that the left margin is above the white text area (make sense?) instead of the left margin of the page.

Remove top navigation links when not on Product/Restoration pages.

In the right Nav bar, make the Product "over" indicator selected anytime you are in either Product/Restoration, Product/Manipulation, or Product/Archive. Currently, it is "dark".

Maybe use Pop-up windows for your larger examples, that way there is just a Pop-up window to close and they clients/customers are still on the Examples pages??

I like someone's earlier reply about putting before/after pics side by side as examples...that works well in all the sites I've seen that are showing actual work done and/or examples.

Anyhow, just a couple of cents worth, but overall I like the look and feel of the site.

Congrats again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2003, 05:50 PM

Hi guys, just got home from work. Thanks for the comments and David I'm glad you finally saw the new site. I'm having a similar problem now myself. I just made a change to the horizontal links bar and one link stayed the same even though the copy I pull into the editor shows it right. Oh well.

Thanks for the information BigAl. The spell checker looked right over that spelling of Moire', guess it's not as smart as I thought. Maybe More' is how you spell something. I just made another correction to the links bar accross the top. Jeffery made a suggestion that made sence. I had been looking at it and thinking something wasn't right. I hope this change is an improvement.

Thanks for your comments Jeffery. I have removed the restoration links from the products pages and added a products link bar that only appears on the three different products pages. I tried moving the horizontal bar to the same areas as the other links but it added to the confustion. I am studying the whole links bar situation to see if there is a better way to place them.

I am also looking for ideas on a better way of displaying the gallery of examples. I'm not too happy with what I have now and I wasn't satisfied with Frontpage's gallery function.

Tell me what you think of the new horizontal link bars on the products pages.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website