RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

OK it's online

Old 02-20-2003, 02:32 PM

Kevin, Glad I could help a little.

Re: programming. It's kind of like riding a bike. Once you've done it, you don't really forget how. (You might not like it, but you don't forget! )

I know what you mean about printing this thread so that you remember all of the suggestions. In fact, I think that I might print it myself so that when I'm finally ready for feedback, all of the helpful contributors to this thread don't have to repeat themselves!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2003, 02:58 PM

Re: Your gallery

Kevin,

Don't forget to take a look at the automated Web Photo Gallery function in Photoshop (File>Automate>Web Photo Gallery). I have been able to take the HTML code produced there and insert it into my page quite easily. If PS has a style you like, that might be the easiest way for you to create a gallery.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2003, 03:26 PM

Hey, thanks for the tip on PS. I never thought about that. I will definately give that a look tonight. Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2003, 04:05 PM

Kevin, I don't know what you want in a gallery, but, here's a slide show gallery that I'm working on. If I'm not mistaken, PS builds the thing with a front page that has thumbnails on it and then clicking on the thumbnail takes you to a separate page - maybe it's just me, but I don't like the jumping around it does when a new page is loading.

This slide show doesn't have t/n's on it, but they could easily be added instead of the drop-down list or in addition to it. Also, I intend to fix it so that some text about the picture being viewed is displayed under it or beside or something - just haven't gotten around to it - trade ya - you can have this part if I can have some of your improvements

I've tried other programs to make thumbnails but all fall short of what I want - PS does a good job of it.

Let me know if you want to use this code and can't decipher the script - I don't think I commented it very well.

Take care, Margaret

btw: the photos are untouched, scanned copies of old photos that were xeroxed from copies that were made of the originals and then xeroxed again.....I make no apologies for the "quality" of the images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2003, 04:29 PM

Hi Margaret, I just took a brief look at the PS photo gallery. It looks like it will do exactly what I want. I don't know why I didn't think of looking at this.

Thanks for your information. I'll take a look at what I can do tonight and see if I can get the look I want. Brief exposure seems to indicate that I will. My site will change again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2003, 01:24 PM

Hi Kevin - I seem to recall that you are using Dreamweaver - you might be interested in this DW extension - the Bloom Gallery is very nice.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2003, 08:01 PM

Hi Margaret, no I'm using Frontpage 2002. I do like those gallery demos though.

I do need some help though maybe you or someone else can help me out on a problem I have now. How do you link out from a page that uses frames? The Photoshop gallery I created uses frames. I am trying to place a link back to the parent page but when I click on the link it displays the new page inside the frame my link was in instead of changing to the page I wanted it to.

The gallery PS created looks real nice. The one I chose displays the thumbnails in a vertical frame on the left side of the page and the viewer is in the bigger right hand frame. I just need to link back to the parent page.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2003, 08:07 PM

to make a link from a frame load into the entire browser window, you'll need to add the attribute <target="_top "> to your link if I recall correctly, so it would look like this
<a href="http://www.website.com/page.html" target="_top">Link Name</a>

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2003, 08:26 PM

Thanks David, you's a life saver. That worked perfectly. I was kind of stumped there for a while. It's going to be a lot of work, for me anyway, to incorporate the PS galleries into my site but I think it will be worth it. I really like the frames display.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2003, 04:22 AM

No problem Kevin, glad to help! good to hear that the PS gallery system is working well for you, I'll have to check it out, when I actually get a site up (it's gonna be a while still..) I'm planning on using a system like this, but the problem with that kind of thing is that they can be a pretty big pain to install, you have to deal with various kinds of scripts, databases and libraries on the server, however, if you can get it to work, it's great for being very customizable etc.

- David
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website