RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

OK it's online

Old 02-22-2003, 10:05 AM

Hi David. The gallery in your link looks impressive. The PS gallery function in version 7 generates a fairly nice looking gallery. I chose the vertical frame gallery and was able to choose a color theme that was close to the theme in my Web site. There is a lot of work afterward to each display frame to try and make it look like the other pages in my site but I think it will be worth it. One nice feature is not having to manually re-size the pictures in advance. PS will automatically resize the pictures to what ever pizel size you specify.

I'm working with the site off-line right now and wont upload any changes until I get all the gallery additions complete.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2003, 05:01 PM

David, I've run into a problem. I had no problem putting the <target="_top "> into a single link. That was simple to understand. Now I have included a link bar into the gallery so that it matches the theme of the site. The coding for this link bar is kind of cyrptic, or at least to me, and I am having trouble incorporating the addition to this code. When I highlight the link bar in Frontpage the following HTML code is highlighted in the HTML page.

This I assume is the head.htm file I use for the header.

<!--webbot bot="Include" U-Include="../../includes/head.htm" TAG="BODY" -->

Somehow this is the link bar?

<!--webbot bot="Navigation" S-Type="sequence" S-Orientation="horizontal" S-Rendering="graphics" B-Include-Home="FALSE" B-Include-Up="FALSE" U-Page="sid:1027" S-Theme="basics1 010" -->

I'm lost.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2003, 05:12 PM

Kevin, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you're dealing with Frontpage jargon that is incomprehensible to human beings.

What you're dealing with is exactly why serious web developers use a program like Frontpage to lay out the page, and then use notepad to do their coding - that way only the stuff you actually write makes it into the html file.

Doesn't Frontpage have a wizard for creating a photo gallery?? You'd think they would because a photo gallery is something quite common.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2003, 07:02 PM

Hi Margaret, yes Frontpage has a gallery feature but it too is limited as to what you can do. The Photoshop gallery allows me to edit the picture viewing page not just the thumbnail page. The Frontpage gallery doesn't give you very much flexability. You cannot edit and modify the viewing page as easily as you can with the Photoshop generated gallery.

I was afraid that this would be the answer to my question. I sure would like to use the link bar in the gallery but if it is too cryptic to deal with then I guess I wil have to place a simple link to the parent page. It's ashame too, Frontpage has a property setting for frames for a simple link, I found out later, but that same property is not available for a link bar.

I'll keep looking to see if I overlooked something. I probably will outgrow Frontpage soon, or at least get tired of it's limitations. But, it has given me a good head start. If I were studying Web creation and had plans to become a Web designer I would try something more powerful. All I want to do is get my own site up like I want it to look.

Thanks margaret.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2003, 08:44 PM

hey, if you outgrow FrontPage, I'd definitely recommend Adobe GoLive if you can afford it, I was lucky enough to get it for free when I got my adobe design collection, and I've been playing with it lately, and I really like it, there's a lot it can do. and I definitely agree with what Margaret was saying, if you want to have full control of the page, at some point you're pretty much going to be forced into learning HTML. the good news is that it's not a horrible thing to learn, and there's tons and tons of books out there for any skill level. the first book I got was called "Teach Yourself HTML 4 in 24 Hours" published by Sams, which I'd say is a pretty easy book to learn from if you're just starting out with it, plus it's been around for a long time so it should be pretty cheap. sorry I can't be any help on your link issues, it's definitely a bunch of FrontPage garble, and I've never even used the program so I don't have a clue what it means..

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2003, 09:12 PM

Well, I was going to anounce that the newest version of my Web site was online. I've been working for days on the revisions and think I have all the problems solved. The new gallery is going to be a nice addition. But, I lost half of my hard drive Raid controller tonight as I was working on some of the last revisions. I wouldn't be surprised if I lose the other half before too long as there is only one processor running both controllers.

One brite side is that I have a mirror image of my primary drive just sitting there turned off. I wont lose any data, just a lot of time and frustration.

Stay tuned the new version will be online soon, I hope.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2003, 09:27 PM

Unhappy

You have my sympathy, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2003, 06:22 PM

OK, now I have finally finished the new version 3.0 of restored-memories.com. I have been fighting Frontpage for the last hour to get it to publish the site right. It only took 4 tries, I finally had to delete everything on the server and then publish to a blank directory. Even then it messed up the navigation structure and I had to edit it online to correct that.

Since I have made so many changes I wish that everyone take a good look at the site and let me know what I have done wrong or forgotten. I really appreciate the help I have gotten so far. I couldn't have done this without you guys.

The gallery was generated in Photoshop 7 and caused me a lot of problems. But, I think I have what I wanted. I need input as to whether I am going in the right direction. I don't even want to know how many hours I have invested in the site update. It was a lot of dead-ends and failed attempts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2003, 07:28 PM

Looking good Kevin!!

I went through it with a "fine-toothed comb" and here's what I found:

*take the "under construction" sign off - it's distracting and your site is in such good shape you don't need it any more

*it's good that you attribute the quote on the right hand side of the main pages, but I would make the author's name smaller than the quoted text - when I first saw it, I thought that was your name

*still on the home page, I wanted to click on the pictures on the left-hand side - they look so interesting

*On the Restorations page, some of the headings and paragraphs aren't evenly spaced out and the top heading doesn't seem to line up with the rest - it's only out a couple of pixels but I have to uphold my reputation as a nit-picker

*Now the Gallery page. First I have to tell you, I downloaded one of your pages a week ago and tried to figure out how to convert it from FrontPage to normal HTML and I gave up after my eyes started to bleed so I want you to know that I understand how much work you put into it - and you did an amazing job

I also know how much work it was to get the "Menu" to work on the Gallery page - but - it only has one item on it. Unless you're going to put more items on it, replace it with a nice button that fits with the rest of the page.

And this last item, I had a real problem opening the Gallery page in IE 5.2. If I have to guess I would say it's because IE and FrontPage are both Microsoft products and IE is anticipating what "should" be on the page instead of rendering what "IS" on the page.

What happens is that it mostly loads but without the scroll bars and if I link back to the home page, I get a nasty line up the left side of the page where the scroll bar would have been on the gallery page. I tried loading random unrelated pages (google, retouchpro etc.) but the nasty line was still there.

If I resize the gallery window as soon as it's done loading, I can get it to draw the scroll bars and everything runs smoothly from then on.

One more thing - also in IE, on the Home pages (and other pages with the same format) there is a tiny image blob that doesn't seem to be loading. I took a screen shot of it and circled what I mean. It doesn't show up on other browsers though.

Sorry to run on so long, but I really had to dig to find ANYTHING that you could fix....

Take care, Margaret
Attached Images
File Type: gif res_mem.gif (41.1 KB, 7 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2003, 08:33 PM

Thank you Margaret for taking the time to research this for me. Your right about the under construction signage I'll take it down. I'll fix the quotation also. What do you recommend that I consider on the collage on the left of the screen? Is it too much?

I'll try to get the text formatting lined up a little better. I have fought Frontpage a lot on this type of thing. It doesn't conform to MS Word nearly as much as Microsoft is willing to admit. It is hard to line up columns for instance because you cannot use the tab key in the edit mode. It's just little things like this that get frustrating.

Thanks for your comments about the gallery. It was a lot of trial and error and just everything imaginable stood in my way. On the Menu, did you mouse over the MENU and see the "pull down" menu items? That was a bear to write, and I hope it is working in all browsers. Frontpage refused to allow me to put in the -top> command to allow a link out from a page with frames using the "Link Bar" feature. I went to an add-in called "J-Bots" navigational component. It writes java script to generate DHTML code. Well let me tell you, it did the job but it was a nightmare to work with. If you were just talking about the menu bar only having one item, you'r right I may need to pull the bar back to make the menu look like a button.

I'm going to print out your comments so that I don't miss anything. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this.

I can't believe that Frontpage is having so many problems with IE! You'd think that Microsoft would generate code that would at least be compatible with their own browsers.

I hope your experiences with the gallery aren't typical with what others experience with it. I'd hate to have to abandon the gallery because of compatability problems. I can switch to a different style that doesn't use frames. I need to get other browsers on my systems so that I can test compatibility with the other browsers.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website