RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

OK it's online

Old 03-04-2003, 09:00 PM

You've done a lot of work since I last saw the site...Nice job! I had no problems with the gallery, although it took me a while to actually find the pop-out menu. It's a little slow to load but a nice feature. You might consider changing the font or color of the word "Menu" so that it's easier to find.

Frontpage sounds like a nightmare! I have been using Dreamweaver to create and maintain my brother's poetry e-zine ( www.sidereality.com ) and while the learning curve was rather steep, it's a wonderful program and generates pretty stable code.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2003, 09:40 PM

Hi Greg, Thanks for your comments. I like what you have done with the SideReality.com. That looks real good. My menu problems in the Gallery have ended up with the compromise you see there now. I'm not at all happy with my experiences with frontpage. I don't think it was ever intended for anything more than a generic plain web site. I can't say I would recommend it to anyone. I don't know whether I am just tight and didn't want to waste the money I paid for it or just hard headed and don't like to get beat by a program. I should have given up a long time ago and switched to dreamweaver. I just wish I could get my money back on what I paid for Frontpage.

I have learned a lot though. Even if it was just on what doesn't work for Web publishing. I hope that is my last poor business decission for a while.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2003, 09:53 PM

Quote:
What do you recommend that I consider on the collage on the left of the screen? Is it too much?
I like the collage on the left - I just wish I could see enlargements of them - maybe put the enlarged images in the gallery?

I'm kind of glad I stuck with text editors in building my site - I'm more interested in learning the programming than I am in seeing a finished product.

Considering what you were up against, you did a credible job of your site.

I hope the IE problem is peculiar to my computer. I'll do a shutdown and a cold boot in the morning to see if the problem is still there. I've had some weird problems with my computer so that might be it.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2003, 10:33 PM

I will plan on putting some of those pictures in later. The second picture from the top is just a picture of my family tree on my maternal Grandmothers side.

You know the irony of this situatioin I am in is that I chose the path I took because I didn't have time to learn anything new. Wonderful how my plan worked out don't you think?

I have an older NT machine at work that has IE 5 on it. I will try it out tomorrow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2003, 01:45 AM

Hope I'm not to late chiming in here. You've done a TON of work Kevin! You're probably saying, "You don't know the half of it!" - but I think I do b/c I'm going through it myself. The only thing I did differently was start out with Dreamweaver b/c my experience has always been that I want to do more than any template or "helper" has ever been able to give me, so I knew I'd have a steep learning curve from the start. It didn't make it any easier knowing that though.

It's late and I haven't looked really closely at your site, but here are a couple of comments and I'll try to look more closely tomorrow.

* I really, really like the change you made to the left sidebar with the small pictures. FWIW, I didn't feel the need to click on them until I read Margaret's feedback - then I looked at them more closely and thought, "Yeah, I'd like to see that with more detail!"

* I like the solution you came up with for the menu in your gallery. It's different than the rest of the site (obviously), but the whole layout of the gallery is different, so I think it works. I would suggest that you change the font to a simple Arial (or other sanserif font) to make it easier to read. A while ago I remember hearing that the fancier the font, the more difficult it is to read - and you want your menu items to be easy to read!

* Also with the menu - you might consider putting a small triangle graphic pointing down next to the word menu to indicate that it's a pulldown. That might help people realize it's meant to be a drop-down.

* Nit-picking with the gallery menu - is there a way to get the text centered vertically in the respective bars? The way I see them, the text is aligned with the top of each bar.

* It looks like you designed your gallery for a 1024 width screen resolution. Is that true? I say that b/c if I resize the window a little smaller, the horizontal scrollbar shows up under the large images (in the right frame) and if I make the window smaller yet (esp. on my husband's 800x600 display), there is a horizontal scrollbar for the left index frame as well. It's not really a problem as I'm still able to get the text within whatever window width I resize to. One slight oddity is that the bar that the menu link is in resizes with the window, but not the graphic at the top. So, if you scroll to the right, it looks like there is a chunk missing. That's a bit nitpicky though and might not be worth the time it would take to fix.

* I like the solution you came up with for the menus outside of the gallery. I think they work nicely and I found it easy to get around.

* One other thing I just discovered as I was playing with resizing... If I resize my window down to what I guestimate to be 640 pixels (trying to estimate how the site will look on an old 640x480 display), I'm not able to read the text in your first paragraph on the home page b/c it's covered up with the picture. Even though a horizontal scrollbar exists, the text is not readable b/c of the picture obscuring it. Since you're going to have a scrollbar anyway at that resolution (b/c of the image in your top bar), you might want to try to limit how small that center column gets? (I don't even know how to do that! But I'm not sure what else would work unless you were to put the image and text in separate table cells?)

I know you've spent more time on your site than you'd planned or wanted, but I think the time has been worth it!! You've got a really nice professional looking site and you should be proud of it!

Jeanie

P.S. It's possible that the little "blocky thing" that Margaret is seeing is a missing image? I had asked her to look at my site a while back and she saw something similar that I didn't see on my computer. I knew exactly what it was caused by - it just never appeared on my screen. And what she sees on your site is not visible on my version of IE6 nor my husband's version of IE5.5 (both Windows machines). I'm too tired right now to try viewing your site with other browsers - I'll try to do that in the morning.

Last edited by jeaniesa; 03-05-2003 at 01:50 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2003, 03:03 AM

I like the new design, nice work Kevin! I agree with the others, one of my first reactions was to try and click on the small images to see the full size example, it would be nice if you could create an image map linking to the bigger photos of that to replace what you have now.
Since Jeanie mentioned the problem of different resolutions, that reminded me of a program I've used for quite a while now called 1st page 2000, it has a very nice feature I haven't seen in any other web design programs, you can preview your HTML file in various resolutions (640x480 - 1024x768). it's a good idea to design a site so that it works in multiple resolutions, and if that's not really possible, than it's probably smart to have a warning at the bottom of your pages stating something like *this page best viewed at a resolution of 800 x 600 or above*

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2003, 09:23 AM

Hi Kevin, after a cold boot this morning, I still had the problem with the gallery page so I think it's a bug in IE.

I think what happens is that IE sees that it's a FrontPage produced page and sees the template and without reading the HTML to see what is actually on the page, it renders the template and only later when I force it by resizing the window will it draw the window properly.

Other browsers don't know about FrontPage (or don't care LOL) and render what the HTML is saying, thus producing the intended result.

This behavior could be peculiar to the Mac versions of IE.

My first instinct is to remove any reference to FP or the template from the meta tags, but that would destroy other formatting that you've worked so hard to achieve. Unfortunately, IE seems to be the big winner in the Mac browser wars for the time being so this might be worth pursuing. If you want me to, I'll take it up with the Mac folks at Microsoft.

Take care Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2003, 09:45 AM

Testing briefly in other browsers:

Netscape 7 - Looks good. The only thing that I notice different from IE6 is the color of the text in the menu on the gallery page. The text appears white when you first pull it down (in IE it's black). If you click on the link, then return to the gallery page, the link that you clicked on is now black (all others remain white - until you click on them.) Not really a problem as I can still read everything - just a difference in behavior.

Opera 7 - FWIW, this is my nemesis where browsers are concerned! I found it odd that the rollovers in your menu bar (on the right of all pages except the gallery) do not work. (I.e., the color of the boxes does not change when you rollover a link.) When you actually click on the link and go to another page, the color of the box changes to let you know where you are. It's just the rollover effect that doesn't work. I don't think this is a huge problem b/c it's obvious from other clues (pointing finger, link names in the status bar, alt text showing link) that these are meant to be links.

Still in Opera 7 - I found the above odd b/c your pulldown menu on the gallery page does work! The fancy effect is slightly different in that the boxes appear all at once and just the text scrolls out. Opera also displays the menu items in white until they are clicked on, then they turn to black once visited (like Netscape).

FWIW, I think these things are minor since they don't really affect the usability of your site - they're just comments about what's different in the different browsers. I can look at earlier Netscape versions if you want - it's just a little more setup b/c they're on my laptop (not my desktop) and I have to find a spare network cable.

Hope this helps,
Jeanie

Last edited by jeaniesa; 03-05-2003 at 09:51 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2003, 09:46 AM

Kevin

Nice work...long and hard to do. I'm like the rest, it's tough to make FrontPage work exactly the way you want beyond the basic web page itself.

Anyhow, I won't go over what others have said, but a couple of minor things I see.

The pics in the left margin...they don't have even spacing between them, you have the black lines "attaching" them, but the bottom pic is more closely spaced than the others. Oh, and the black line between that bottom one and the pic above...the black line extends over the bottom pic.

I've attached a screen shot of another "coding" error. You have a first letter in Bold, when you don't have that anywhere else on your site.

Otherwise...keep up the good work, you've got a great site and these minor things are just that...minor. It sure helps having multiple (dozens) of eyes helping you out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bold error.jpg (47.9 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2003, 09:50 AM

Hi Kevin,

You have been working very hard and the results are fantastic The site is working very well on Opera, and the navigation is much better and far less confusing that it was. I would also like to beable to click on the left hand images, or at least see them in the gallery... sorry that sounds like an echo

The only thing (oh no not another one ) is might be worth looking at having the price page after the archival page. It seems to split the services that you provide in two, making the archival look like it was added later. Just my opinion, and boy have you got to dig to find anything wrong, you have done a good job.

The gallery pages with the link back to the main pages of your web site link in well, even though it is a change of design it works well and I found that it didn't produces any navigation problems.

Hope this helps

Clare
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website