RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

resizing for a table

Old 02-23-2003, 01:59 PM

Well my web nightmares certainly did not stop there!

I wanted the whole web site to resize on the fly - so if you change the size of the screen that you were using the web page became larger and smaller as you moved the page. For this I took a trip down to waterstones book shop and bought a large handful of books about DHTML XHTML and CSS, I am still consuming the data! but I have found that using css enables you to change the size on the fly - which is what I wanted to do...... this has taken all day to work out but hopefully the end product will be worth the hastle of learning a new web language.

thanks again for all your help, there will probably be more questions coming, so if you know css your help will be fantastic. One thing I will say is that once you know html the leap to css is not as confusing as I thought it would be - I am very thankful for this! ( I hope I haven't spoken to soon! )

Just out of interest is the font trebuchet avaliable on the mac and older versions of windows, if you view my current site (this uses this font) and you don't have 'trebuchet' on your system what font does your OS display? this would be really helpful to know before I go any further with the web design that is in progress.

thanks again

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2003, 02:52 PM

Hi Clare, I have Trebuchet on my Mac, so it looks like your site uses it - I'm not that good at fonts though, so can't say for sure.

I'm learning about CSS, DOM, Javascript etc all at the same time. I love programming (love it, but can't say I'm very good at it LOL) so I'm enjoying learning.

There is tons of information on the net about CSS, just do a search.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2003, 03:20 PM

I didn't realise until I was at the book store what CSS does for websites! I don't really want to have to learn java as I don't have a programing background so CSS seemed to be the best way to go.
I am also enjoying learning these new tools, luckly the books I bought have a interesting perspective on the techniques used. I have bought books in the past that just say, do this do that, without any feeling or involving the reader. It makes the learning process very boring if you can't realise the potential of a product. Does that make sense?

I am glad to here that the font I intend to use is in the mac as well as the windows OS

Margret you are more adventurous than me learning Java How difficult is it to learn? If I have to I will learn it, but its good to get feedback from a student of a different technique! One more question : What does Java give you that html and css can't reproduce?

thanks again
Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2003, 03:29 PM

My thoughts...

HI Clare (and everyone else)

You may know...but you may be getting JAVA and JavaScrip mixed...what you probably will be wanting to work with is JavaScript, this is mostly what is used for things like menuing systems, rollovers, etc.

I know because I am heading back to classes for this (JavaScript), as per the LVS Online classes site (www.lvsonline.com).

Anyhow...I've got a question and for the life of me can't find the thread where I read it...I think it was here at RetouchPro.

People were discussing sizes of their sites, with 800x600 being the most/widely used, so creating the site at for that resolution seems to be the best best. Someone mentioned that size you should make it, (something like 760x5xx) in order to leave room for scroll bars, etc.

Can anyone let me know where that was discussed again???

Good luck with the CSS stuff, it REALLY helps as you can change the fonts/colors/styles all in one place without having to go to each page to change things.

Another good thread to keep alive, as I know it surely helps me as I design/build my sites.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2003, 03:42 PM

Java vs Javascript

Hi Clare, Java and Javascript are not the same thing at all. You already use a lot of Javascript on your web site!!

Javascript is interpretted by the web browser and is used to manipulate elements on the page - deal with form fields, rollover images etc. Javascript is dismissed by some "real" programmers because traditionally a "scripting" language was light-weight. Don't dismiss Javascript. Used properly, it's very powerful.

Java is a compiled language that is much more complex - and it follows, more difficult to learn. When Java is present on a web page, it is an applet that is embedded in the page - used for some games and things like that. Java in web pages seems to have fallen out of favor - largely due to performance problems. Flash is much easier to use and performs much better for the purpose of games etc.

So, forget about Java - you don't need it. You already have some experience with Javascript and you can probably find whatever you need on the many Javascript web sites. You could do your whole site without any Javascript, but it would be bland.

CSS will help you lay out your page(s) and by saving your stylesheets and linking to them in your pages, you can maintain or change a consistent look across many pages.

Having said all that, I must admit that I'm a novice at using all these web page components, but I'm learning - and I might add, I learn by trying to answer questions, so fire away.....

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2003, 02:49 PM

Clare,

Are you using CSS to lay out your page instead of tables? Just wondering if you're using the layout aspects of CSS in addition to fonts/colors/styles and completely doing away with the tables? I know that's possible, but I didn't go that route b/c I was under the impression that only the newest browsers support the page layout features of CSS. I figured I'd layout my site with tables for now and switch over to the (very cool) CSS features when more browsers supported them.

Jeffrey,

I'm not sure where the discussion on screen resolution took place, but I did design my site for 800x600 and made my table width 760 to account for the scroll bar on the right. The height is a little more difficult to design for b/c people have so many differences in the toolbars/status bars they choose to display in their browser. For a family site I just did, I didn't make my photos larger than 450 pixels in height if I wanted them to fit completely on an 800x600 screen, but I have no particular resource data to back that up (just my experience viewing that site on my husband's 800x600 screen.)

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2003, 03:15 PM

On of the fantastic things that I have learnt is that CSS allows you to have a background image in a table. This has helped me so much as my screen layout has lines that I want to show through the menu bar.

On a personal note I think most people are viewing web pages at 1024 by 768, so my main navigation is for this screen size - it anyone knows any different please post your responce to this....

I have made my text on the table so it expands to any screen size this will include any portfolio images I inculde. but I have set my line breaks so that they can be viewed comfortably on any screen size. One thing that I have found from my art / design background is that it is easier to read text if it dosen't extend too far, like magazines using 3-4 collums of text instead of one. The reason I mention this is I could have made my text expand to the viewers resolution but I decided to put breaks in the text to make it easier to read. This also means anyone who is still using 800-600 will not have to scroll across and down(does that make sence?)

Apart from that I am using CSS to set the text size and the font.
There are so many posibilities with CSS that are not available in HTML, WOW I like what I have learnt and want to learn more.....

Clare
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website