RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

resizing for a table

Old 02-21-2003, 08:47 AM

resizing for a table

Hello folks,

This is another call for help....please

I have created my web site using tables. Can I place any html or java or another web language into the site that makes the site resize to the screen size of the viewer. For instance this is build around 1024 by 768, but if someone with a larger screen accesses the site with a screen size of 1280 by 1024 the site will automatically be resized to that.

Did that make sence? I have treid to do a google search but have not come up with anything helpful.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2003, 09:42 AM

Hi Clare, do a goole for "table percents" and you'll find lots of advice (probably not all of it good If you use 100% for the width of your table, it wil resize to wider and narrower screens. If you want your navigation on the left to remain the same regardless of screen dimensions, I think you can set a width for them.

I'm not expert, but there is a lot written about percents as opposed to fixed widths and percents seem to be the way to go.

Hope this helps, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2003, 09:42 AM

I am not sure if this is the answer or not, but from the way I understand the question, I think you want to set your table to 100% rather than a fixed number such as 500 pixels.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2003, 09:58 AM

Thanks I will try this.

I have also found some info on autostreching the table for wider screens.

My problem is that I am using my image as the background and when viewed on a larger screen it duplicates itself making the web page apear messy and un organised. If anyone has experience of auto strech that would be great. I will also make the table 100% hopefully this will stop these problems.

I have to pop out for an hour but will get onto this as soon as I get back, anymore input would be appreciated.

Thanks again, you are a bunch of stars *****

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2003, 12:59 PM

Clare,

I've been fighting with the table layout of my site for a couple of weeks now. Well, perhaps not fighting with it, but it's taken a lot of time to understand the output from ImageReady - esp. when I decided to change some of the fixed widths to percentages.

Like Margaret and chiquitita already said, you will want to use percentages for the table to expand/contract with various screen sizes. However, like Margaret said, you can combine both fixed width and percentage cells in the same table. For example, my lefthand side it a fixed 170 pixels. I set the overall table width to be 100%, but then break that up when I move down to specify the table cell widths. I don't want the eft column to change widths with different screen sizes, so I specify the width of that column in the table to be 170 px. The other column in my table is set to 90% - meaning it will expand to the right as the window size changes. (I've set my whole table to be left justified.)

To prevent the picture you are using as the background from tiling when the window is resized, I would try putting it in a fixed width cell, but have the cells on either side of it specified in percentages so that THEY expand, but not the cell your picture is in. Another trick would be to add more canvas to the picture (the same color as the plain background color in the rest of your table) so that when the table cell expands, it just shows more of the "canvas" of the picture rather than tiling it. (Not sure if that makes sense, let me know if not and I'll try to give a better explanation.)

One site I used to better understand fixed width vs. percentage was the apple.com site. If you go to that site, you'll notice that the menu tabs are all fixed width, but if you resize your window, the ends on either side of the tabs expand with the width of your window. (They have that table centered rather than left-justified.) You can take a look at their source to see how it's done.

Hope this helps,
Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2003, 01:45 PM

This page we're looking at is another good example. Doug correct me if i'm wrong!!

On this page, there is a table set to 100% with color black, then inside that table is another one set to 750 px that holds the actual text etc of the page.

I'm glad this discussion came up, I've been struggling with presentation too. I knew about the percentages, but didn't think of centering the inner table.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2003, 02:11 PM

I think I may have found where I was Going Wrong.....

Here are my adjustments
1. start from scratch!!!
2.Produce the image in slices (PS)
3.Use 2 tables - the inside one being the detail of the page
4.Drink Vodka
5.Set the out side table to 100% width and align to centre
6. Set the inside table to align to centre leaving the size unchanged or maybe 100% width - trial and error
7.Drink more vodka and hope this sorts the whole thing out

How large should I make the outside table that will show on either side of the main area is 31px large enough?
Have I got the idea of this or am I still in the dark?

Thanks for all of your continued help
fustrated
Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2003, 02:29 PM

Talking

Its moving

I have finally got the centre table to stay in the middle of the screen. I am going to have another vodka for that one!!!

Now I just need to figure out how to make it fit on the screen!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2003, 03:02 PM

Clare I know how you feel!!

Try this code. It produces a pretty garish display but it demonstrates how the RetouchPRO forum pages are laid out.

<body>
<table width="100%"> <!-- this is the outside table that will spread and shrink when the user makes the screen bigger or smaller-->
<tr>
<td bgcolor="red"
<table width="600" align="center"> <!-- this is the "meat" for your page it will always stay the same size -->
<tr>
<td width="150" bgcolor="#FF66FF">
This is some text
</td>
<td width="450" bgcolor="#66FFFF">
And this is some other text
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</body>

Hope this helps Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2003, 03:49 PM

Thanks, thats what I now have my site doing - before the program crashed! thankfully I remembered what I had done

My web nightmares seem to becoming more extreme as I couldn't find the original .psd file - it was thankfully on my laptop but not after I had had a few heart attacks realising it wasn't on my main computer.

I have just finished slicing up the image again and pasting it into a new table. Hopefully this will be the end of it, this has been driving me crazy. My problem was I was setting the outside table to align centre instead of the frame to centre - big difference.

thanks for your continued help - every piece of information brings me one step closer to my dream web site.....thanks

Clare
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website