RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Hosting your own web server

Old 02-27-2003, 12:25 AM

I built my own Linux Web server about 4 years back. A 100MHz P1 with 32MB RAM and a 6GB IDE disk. It still runs RH 6.0 with Apache 1.3.1. It's never been down, though the fan is a bit noisy now. I use it as a departmental Web server and as a source of Web-based coursework for my students. At peak usage it gets hit with somewhere in the region of 5k requests per minute and no-one has ever complained about slow access. I think if you go with an m$ server, you're going to need much more horsepower for the same throughput because of the overheads associated with Windows.

Of course, I'm fortunate in that the university I work for is the ISP.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2003, 01:00 AM

wow, that's a very impressive run time! what kind of internet connection is the server on?

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2003, 02:50 AM

My lab has 100Mb/s ethernet, but the link to the rest of the university is thru fibre optic ATM - I'm not sure of the speed. Out from the university to the wire provider is a very-very fat pipe - not sure of that speed either.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2003, 08:50 AM

Looks like you have everything well on its way David. I haven't downloaded the newest Mandrake yet but I plan on it this weekend.

My problem on hosting a site at my house is that I can't get DSL. My house is too far from the Bell Central office. I have to be content with COX cable modem for now. My ISP wouldn't let me run a Web server without changing me more per month for my connection. So my Web server will probably just be a intranet server for now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2003, 11:35 AM

Echoing the thoughts of others David, I would say that unless you are expecting more than 5 people on your site at once, with the most basic of requests then the answer is to go with the proffesional host.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2003, 06:00 PM

Kevin - if you haven't seen it yet, Mandrake has put out the 9.1 RC1, which has some interesting sounding things, like automatic network configuration, NTFS resizing, and the latest versions of KDE (3.1) and Gnome (2.2 RC2). I'll wait til RC2 at least before downloading this one though so they can get rid of any major bugs (although there probably aren't many, Linux alpha versions are usually more bug free than any of MS's actual releases..)
It's too bad you can't get DSL, but in average situations it's not much faster than cable anyway.

Mike - this isn't really gonna be a good long term hosting solution, but I think it'll be ok for a while. if I start getting a lot of feedack that people can't access the sites, then I'll start worrying about switching to a host.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2003, 06:37 PM

David, I'm looking forward to your experience. I was thinking about hosting a site on one of my machines just for the experience. I don't have a static IP address, so my hosting so far is intermitant and I have to send out a notice of the new address every time I boot

From what I understand, most of the pieces/parts are already installed or free download from Apple, so I won't be investing much money to get it done.

I'm glad I have folks like you to learn from.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2003, 06:40 PM

Thanks David. I was looking at that just recently. I think I will download 9.0 tonight, like you I will wait on 9.1 until RC2. I think I will bring it up as a intranet server to test my Web site on. That should give me enough to practice with. I don't really have a lot of spare time to play with something new, but I am going to do it anyway.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2003, 03:47 AM

well I've finally done it, I got my hardware and I'm almost finished building up the server, all I need to put in now is the hard drive and CD drive. I'm going to be using one of my 2 hard drives from my main system in the server, so right now I'm going through the oh-so-fun experience of going through many months worth of overdue clean up and backups of everything on my HD's (which is about 40GB's of data in total.. it's a good thing I bought a 100 pack of CD-Rs!) if all goes well, I'll be loading everything up and trying to get my networking going sometime this coming weekend.
Kevin - we're not gonna have to wait any longer! I just checked the mandrake page, and they released 9.1 RC2 yesterday. I never actually got to burning the CD's of 9.0 when I downloaded it last week, so now I'm just downloading the 9.1 RC2 overnight and I'll stick with that since it's pretty much the actual release, and if there's any bugs that they find I'll make sure to keep the system updated.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2003, 05:31 PM

Hey David that's great. I hope you get the drive maintenance done and get 9.1 up before I do. I also downloaded 9.0 but didn't have time to burn the CDs. I guess I will download the 9.1 RC2 tonight. Maybe I will have time this weekend to try it out. I'm going to set up an Intranet server to do my Web site testing on at first and then see where it takes me.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website