RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Hosting your own web server

Old 03-06-2003, 02:47 AM

it's looking like it's gonna be a while before I've got time to do much with the server, I've got a lot of work shifts coming up and as much as I'd like to play around with it, getting my sattelite, DSL, cell phone etc. bills paid and finishing up all my schoolwork has gotta come first. I just realized that I've got an Apache book (the "Apache 2 Bible") which I got last year sitting around which should come in handy when I actually get to the configuration part of everything.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2003, 09:36 PM

David, I thought you might like an update on my attempts to load Mandrake 9.1 rc-2. I have tried to load it twice, the first time it finished without an error but xwindows wouldn't run. The second time everything looked OK everything came up like it should but eth0 was configured wrong and it took my network down. So I am not impressed with their pre-release OS. I did get a e-mail from them today anouncing the official release of 9.1. I guess I will download this release and try once again to get the server up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2003, 02:18 AM

that's dissapointing news about the release candidate, I hope they've cleaned up the issues for the release, in the past I've had good experiences with other RC's. I'm downloading the three 9.1 ISOs right now, I tried to do it a couple of days ago when it was released, but I couldn't connect to any of the FTP sites (or any I could connect to were so overloaded I could only get a 2 or 3 kbps - impossible for downloading anything ISO sized..) I still haven't got my server up yet though, I just haven't had much time at all lately, I still have to get a couple parts and get everything to work.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2003, 05:03 PM

I tried to get them too and found the same problem. It may be a while before we are able to download them. I guess everyone was waiting on this release. I guess there are a lot of people who don't want to pay for the software. I don't have a real need so if I had to pay I would pass.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2003, 11:48 PM

I downloaded the ISOs succesfully last night, the site I was downloading from was this one here:
ftp://ftp.fi.muni.cz/pub/linux/mandrake/iso/
I just noticed today on the download page (here) they've added a whole bunch of new mirrors, so maybe you'll have better luck now.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2003, 12:02 AM

David, I have changed directions. After getting a good look at the capibilities of Netware 6.0 I am going to bring up a Novell server instead of Linux.

Netware 6 has evolved more toward Unix than ever before. It has Apatchie imbedded all through it. 90% of the administration tools are now HTML based. It has, like Linux, all the components of a file server and Web server.

If I can get a strong enough box to support it I will bring up a Netware 6 server.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2003, 01:58 PM

Hey Kevin,

I'll be interested to hear how that works out for you! I'm not sure what the name of the book is (I can try to find out) but I know there is a book out there that has a full version of netware for a limit of 4 users, but I'm not sure which version it is, I'll let you know if I can find out what it's called.

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2003, 02:43 PM

I have the software I need already. I am in a Novell School this week in New Orleans. I have a 5 user copy of Netware 6 that I was given to use in the class.

I just don't know if the PC I plan on using is strong enough. Time will tell.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website