RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Its up and running.... hopefully!

Old 02-27-2003, 02:11 PM

Its up and running.... hopefully!

Thanks to a vast amount of help from you folks and reading several books on web site I have now launch my new look web site.

So I am now anfter your opinions on the new design and whether you have any problems viewing the new site. I have tested it in opera and IE at 1024 by 768, 800 by 600 and IE at a larger size...can't quite remember the dimensions.

Please post any spelling and gammar mistakes and general opinions on the site.

All comments are greatfully recieved

Thanks in advance

Clare

p.s Those of you who know my old site - do you like the new one? Is there anything specific you like? How would you rate the change in functionality?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2003, 02:36 PM

And you tried to make us think you were confused about web development!

I really like your new site - it's lovely. It loads quickly, everything works. I'm on a Mac, so I tried it on all the browsers and it also works in Safari - that's the new Mac browser and it's kind of an acid test.

I also tried it on Netscape 4.7 and it works there too! My code always breaks on the 4.7 browser

Congratulations Clare.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2003, 03:12 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I agree with Margaret. Loads quickly on my dial up account (very important), and it looks very professional. I assume you're aware that you have nothing showing for the red-eye and tonal corrections links? Also, maybe you didn't want it this way, but when I read there was a three tiered pricing structure, I expected to see *something* about pricing, even if it was only a range of prices for the categories. Very nice job though. You can be proud of yourself. I won't comment on the spelling differences between the UK and the US.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2003, 03:51 PM

It looks great Clare, I loaded it in both IE and Netscape 6. It's great in IE but in Netscape 6 it's not quite right. I've attached a screen shot of what I see in Netscape 6, hope it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clare.jpg (44.4 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Sanda; 02-27-2003 at 04:11 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2003, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the input.

This is the third web site I have created this year and the only one that has made it far enough to go live.... I have learnt so much through building the others and still have so far to go. I am only half way through one of the three books that I bought recently on web design and other programing related subjects and am really hoping that I will beable to iron out some of the glitches that I have found soon.

Margret thanks for the vote of encouragement, I am really glad that it views well on the Mac, this is one of the things I have not been able to try out so this information is so valuable.

Ed, I have been thinking of including a price list in the three-tire levels section, but was just a little unsure, I will probably go with a loose price structure so that it complements the individual approach that I have tried to convey with the site. The red eye and tonal correction images are on their way, I need a picture of a person with red eye as I have none that are suitable for a web site ...... can anyone help!

Sandra, thanks for the heads up about netscape, it looks from the screen shot that it might be an issue with the css file that controls that background, I will have to hit the books to work out how to fix this one. Does Netscape show the web page in this way on all the pages or just the index page? This will help with me finding the problem, thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2003, 04:59 PM

Clare, it's on all of the pages in Netscape 6, I think you're right about the background being the culprit.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2003, 05:16 PM

I don't have a Mac version of Netscape 6 to see if the same problem exists here, but I found a download site for it and will dl it later and let you know. If it's any comfort, the download site had this to say:

Quote:
Netscape 6 is the first standards compliance of any browser ever released. This is made possible by the small, fast, standards-compliant, free, open-source, cross-platform, cross-device, embeddable Netscape Gecko browser engine. (However, Netscape 6 is generally considered as premature product, Netscape 7 is a better choice for stability and much better standard
I'll let you know how it works in 6 when I get it downloaded - I need to be checking my pages in 6 too.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2003, 05:34 PM

Hi Clare,

you've got a very nice site running! I really like the menu, it works great and it's very easy to navigate. the one thing I noticed is that all the text appears very small in Opera 6 and 7 but it's just fine in IE. it's probably just a combination of having a fairly high resolution (1280x1024) and not using one of the most popular browsers, but I thought I'd let you know anyway. great work!

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2003, 12:28 AM

Nice one Clare. It's just a pity that you were forced to put watermarks all over the pics.

One thing I found a bit funny was on this page, if you click on one of the text links, I'd expect to go to the example, but instead you go to a page of the same name. I got into a cycle until I realised you wanted me to click on the pics.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2003, 12:57 AM

Clare,

I like the new layout much better than your old site! I think it is organized better as well.

A couple of things I noticed (wrt comments others have made):
- The strange layout that Sanda found in Netscape 6 does NOT appear with Netscape 6.2. (I did see it in Netscape 6 though.)
- Your text size looks just fine in my Opera 7 browser. I'm running a 1024x768 screen resolution. Actually, your bold text in the main portion of your site (i.e., the main page and all of your description titles) appear quite small in all of my Netscape browsers - though I didn't really notice it until David mentioned the small text size he saw in his Opera browsers.

A few comments that I think would help with the consistency of your site...

- In your galleries, it would be nice to be able to go from one "large" picture to the next without having to go back to the thumbnails to get to the next large picture.

- Also, the phrase which indicates to people that clicking on the larger picture will bring you back to the thumbnails is inconsistent in your different galleries. In your Restoration/Retouching examples, I know I can click on the large picture, but I don't know what it will do - there's nothing to tell me what clicking on the picture will do, and there's nothing to tell me how to get to the next picture or back to the thumbnails without clicking the back button on my browser. In your Business Commissions gallery, you use the phrase "Please click on image to enlarge" even when the large picture is showing. I clicked a picture expecting to see an even larger version of the image and was brought back to the thumbnails. I haven't checked every page in that gallery, but the ones I did check were all like this. In your Image Library, the wording tells me what to expect and everything works like I expect it to (with the caveat of my comment above this one). Again, I didn't check every image, but those that I did appeared consistent.

- Is there a purpose for the rollovers of the "bar images" in your navigation area? I'd like to see the bar at 100% opacity when a particular area is selected to give me a visual indication as to where I am in the site. Perhaps you have a reason for not doing that though.

I didn't look at every page and I didn't look for hard for typos - I was looking at your site more from a navigation standpoint. I do think it's much better than your old site!

Now if I can just get my site up and catch up with the rest of you...

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website