RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Need help understanding Opera

Old 03-01-2003, 03:02 AM

jeanie,

you could try posting in the opera newsgroup:opera.general , or there's the official opera forums here

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2003, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeaniesa
OK, so let me ask this question (mostly directed at Clare, but anyone else feel free to comment): If your experience with Opera is that you have "no end of problems with it not seeing pull down menus", then why do you use it? When you run into problems on a site, do you end up blaming the website for not coding correctly or assume that the browser is not rendering correctly?

And most importantly, do you use another browser to view the site or do you skip it and move on?

Jeanie
Hello Jeanie,

I use Opera because I don't like IE, I like the fact that when downloading and testing web pages they are all kept neatly in one program not spread all over the taskbar. If I come across a site that doesn't apear to be working in Opera I look at the content that has downloaded - if it seems to be of interest or have answers to my questions I go to IE and view it there. The only time I don't do this is if in the inical download I think 'nope not on there', regarding what I am looking for.

If I was looking for Restoration and came across your site, I have enough information (in Opera) on the first page that would make me switch browsers. The site map is a good idea for those who really don't want to change. I would also put an email address on the front page so if people were really having problems but wanted to get in touch they could.

There are some web sites that I go to (used to include retouchpro) that I know before I start they just don't run properly for these I don't even bother with Opera, just go straight to IE. Opera 7 now shows this site properly

Your Flash graphic was well worth the effort, it looks fantastic

Margret,
Your flash bar is working okay in my version of Opera and IE

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2003, 09:48 AM

Thanks for the feedback - I'm glad to know that the tab bar is working. Now I can move on.

My site seems so plain compared to your's, but the audience for my will be no-nonsense long-haul truckers, so I was going for a down-to-earth look and feel.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2003, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by winwintoo
My site seems so plain compared to your's, but the audience for my will be no-nonsense long-haul truckers, so I was going for a down-to-earth look and feel.
[/B]
It's not plain, you have conceptualized it for the viewing audience, thats what makes the design work
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2003, 07:58 PM

David, Thanks for the Opera resources. I really appreciate it!!

Clare, Thanks for your feedback - and for the idea of the e-mail link on the first page. Good idea. Do you think it would be enough to include the link in my copyright statement, or should it be more prominent? Perhaps as a link in my first sentence for "Lotus Flower Imaging Solutions"? So many details...

Margaret, I can guarantee that if any truckers visited a site created for them with my design, they'd be running in the opposite direction. Your site design is perfect for your audience - and that's the first element of a good design!

Thanks again, you all are the BEST!!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2003, 04:33 AM

Hi Jeanie,

You have got a small line of copyright text on the bottom of the page, so I would imagine just a link to more copyright information should be enough. I would not put this in the first line of text as some of the web search engines use the first line of text as their descriptions about the site. So the first line of text needs to be punchy and business orientated.

Out of interest what are you going to include in your copyright page? I was a little bit stumped on this one, thats why there is only a small sentence on my page. Its something that I need to add to at a later date. Are you going to include the legal jargan or make it a general statement? Any help on this would be fantastic.

Your email link doesn't need to be the most promenant feature of the web page, I will probably be adding this to all my pages as it is something I forgot to do in the first design stage DOH! It could either be in the opposite your logo or underneath. So that the smaller screen sizes, get it in there first viewing. But under your logo would probably mess with navigation.

Hope this helps

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2003, 10:02 AM

Sorry about the delay in answering this Clare. It came in as I was going crazy trying to get last-minute things done before leaving my sister's house. Then got home and had a pile of "things to do" waiting for me here!

Anyway, you asked:
Out of interest what are you going to include in your copyright page? I was a little bit stumped on this one, thats why there is only a small sentence on my page. Its something that I need to add to at a later date. Are you going to include the legal jargan or make it a general statement? Any help on this would be fantastic.

Actually, I was thinking that my copyright page (at least the one linked to from the FAQ>Copyrights menu selection) would be about copyrighted photos that clients own and want me to restore - that copyrights DO exist on old some old images they own (like old Olan Mills photos) and they will need to sign a release form indicating that they have obtained permission to have the photo restored (or that they want me to obtain that permission for them.)

Your suggestion for a link from my copyright line to a separate page more fully explaining that my own images are copyrighted is a good idea which I will implement, but I haven't thought about that yet, so can't give you any guidance there. You might want to peruse some other photography sites (both individual photographers and stock photo agencies) to see how they handle it. (That's probably what I will do.)

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2003, 10:32 AM

Ah, now I see where you are coming from

I think there might be some confusion if you called the page copyright. So a hyperlink would probably be a much better way to implement this type of copyright message. You could add this to both the info pages and the copyright for you work page. I hadn't thought about this type of copyright page, interesting idea.

Thanks for the idea of going to other photographers sites and seeing what they include

Clare
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2003, 07:55 PM

just an opinion. why do everyone designing webpage always like to see if their webpage will work on opera when only netscape and ie are the most browsers used right?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2003, 08:03 PM

I try to make my web pages work in all the available browsers because then I'm sure that everyone viewing my pages will be able to see them as I intend.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website