RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Quick question about keywords meta tags

Old 03-06-2003, 11:31 PM

I notice that on Search Engine Watch you can pay a 6-month subscription fee and get more "in-depth" information on search engine optimization and submittal. Do you happen to know if it's worth the $60 for that info, or would I do just as well at searchengineforums.com? (Thanks for that link BTW.)

Thanks for the additional comments on your "page as a whole" approach. I think if I can just feel a little more comfortable with the concept of search engine optimization, that approach will be like second nature to me. I have to admit - I hate writing. (I know, I know... with all that I write at RP, you'd have a hard time imagining that! ) So, having to think about keyword density at the same time I'm trying to just think up the words is close to torture for me.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2003, 09:07 AM

I wouldn't pay to subscribe to search engine watch. Search Engine Forums, for the most part, is going to have what you're after. It's also got a lot of members there who are members at SEW, so if any new exciting content is brought up over there they'll sort of migrate it to SEF. SEW also has a lot more infighting and name calling than SEF, IMHO.

You're welcome! I'm glad I could help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2003, 10:53 AM

Thanks again themanda. I spent a couple of hours reading through the "free" info on SEW last night and learned quite a bit. Plus, the links to other places and I've got some good ideas.

One thing that I found interesting is that according to SEW, only one crawler-based serach engine actually uses keywords (Inktomi) still uses the keywords meta tag. All others have ceased to even look at it b/c so many sites were using it for crawler spamming. It seems incorporating the keywords you want to be found for into your title and then repeating them in your text is a much better match for the algorithms that most crawlers use. (I.e., the "density" that you referred to a few posts back.)

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2003, 11:25 AM

Yes, that's true. That's why I don't advise people to get all caught up in their meta tag values. A bazillion years ago, AltaVista put a lot of weight on meta tags, so that's when the whole thing really started. Google, the 800 pound gorilla of the moment, doesn't look at the at all. The newest thing getting keyword stuffed is alt image tags and other such non-humanly visible content. (Spiders see it, but your average browser doesn't really.)

The reason that I still continue to include this nearly obsolete information is that I never know when it will start to be important again, you know? That's the frustrating beauty of SEO...what works today might not work tomorrow and what worked three months ago might suddenly start working again in five. The main thing that fuels all of this, IMO, are the spammers. They're the first ones to find and exploit any loophole in the engine's algo. Once that starts to happen, the engine changes the algo and the spammers start looking for a new loophole. Keeps everyone on their toes.

All of this is why you're really best off to focus on building your keyword relevant text. Ideally, you'll want about 4% (give or take a little) keyword density in a block of at least 250 words. You don't want to stuff your text with your chosen words, but you want them repeated often enough, and in enough of your key *phrases* for the spiders to pick up on it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2003, 11:41 AM

It's nice to know I'm understanding what I read. I think I'd read your post 24 hours ago, I wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about! Now, not only do I understand it, but I feel somewhat confident that I can actually implement it for my site! I think I might see a light at the end of this very long tunnel.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 08:13 PM

This is all very interesting. More things I have to learn! I am in no hurry to get the type of recognition I need but I guess I should be planning now for what I will need a couple of months from now because it might take that long.

My URL has been picked up by Webcrawler.com. The funny thing is that it picked my site up before I had posted the first real site. It picked up on my place holder page which said that we are under construction now but should be up by February. Also google , When I search on "restored memories", has links to www.restoredmemories.com which has been down at least 2 months. I looked this site up when I was trying to get my URL and saw that it was taken but there was no site up at that URL.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 09:49 PM

Kevin,

FWIW, I've gotten to what I consider to be "working knowledge" of search engine optimization after a couple of (very) late nights reading the free info at Search Engine Watch and then moving on to the Search Engine Forums (that themanda pointed me to). I'm by no means an expert, but I feel like I know enough to write my webpages in a way that is at least starting off with SEO in mind. I'll probably want to tweak later, but I figured better to start off with a concerted effort to correlate my page titles, descriptions, headings and copy text.

I also found that google picked up my "under construction" page, so I assume it will be back - and when it is, I'd like to already have some keyword density built into my pages and not have another "under construction" site indexed.

I don't know that I'd necessarily recommend that everyone follow the path I have, since I still don't have more than a couple of pages for my site up yet - and you seem to be almost finished with yours!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 10:03 PM

Hi Jeanie, I still have a long way to go but I'm getting there. I need to do some of the research you have been doing about search engine optimizing.

I still haven't come up with a way of doing eCommerce yet. I've had to make a list and just go down it one item at a time. The whole project looks too large when viewed as a whole. Just got my PC back to operating at 100% today. Replacing an HD array controller with a different type of card is not for the faint at heart. Look it's 10:00pm already!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2003, 11:45 PM

I don't have the eCommerce thing figured out yet either! Ugh.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website