RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Desperate, please help...

Old 04-15-2003, 07:24 AM

Desperate, please help...

I'm "helping" someone (who is 200 miles away) do a simple web page for a school project and since I don't know win98, I'm at a loss.

When we view the site from the server, it shows up fine on his machine - win98, and IE 5.5.

There are only 2 files - silver.jpg and silver.html. When he downloads the files to his desktop and tries to view them locally from IE, he doesn't get the background.

When he looks at the files on his desktop, they have the file extensions, but when he does file>open from IE, the files show up with no extension.

I'm wondering if he has file extensions turned off or something?? How do you do that in win98? Does anyone have any idea what we're doing wrong?
He's going to be using Notepad to edit the html file since the whole design is so simple.

You can look at it here: http://csm.lfchosting.com/sean/silver.html

TIA, margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2003, 10:20 AM

Under MY COMPUTER->View->Folder Options->View, he may have the box checked that says "Hide file extensions for known file types".
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2003, 10:23 AM

Thanks CJ, I'll have him check that.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2003, 10:39 AM

>There are only 2 files - silver.jpg and silver.html. When he
>downloads the files to his desktop and tries to view them locally
>from IE, he doesn't get the background.

Viewing source for the link you gave, I notice the html references silver3.jpg, not silver.jpg. Your problem couldn't be as simple as that, could it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2003, 10:45 AM

Sorry Leah, I changed the image so silver3.jpg is the right one.

We checked the view file extensions thing that CJ suggested and fixed that, so now he doesn't have a problem with the extensions, but the image still doesnt' show up. Maybe I'll have to take a trip to Saskatoon and see it in person

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2003, 10:50 AM

I thought of the same thing Leah did.

Also, when you use the File->Open from IE and browse, I think the default mode for listing the files is "List". If he is using the "Browse" feature to find the files, then have him click on the icon on the top right called the "View Menu" with a little black triangle next to it. Click on it and choose "Details" and he should see the file extensions.

Hmmm - looks like you've already answered as I'm writing this. Let me try downloading myself and see what happens...

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2003, 10:53 AM

Margaret,

Do you know what method he used to download the files to his hard disk? Are you sure that the image file is located on his disk in the same relative/absolute path that is indicated in the HTML?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2003, 10:56 AM

Thanks Jeanie - that solves another part of the puzzle!!

He still can't see the image in IE when viewing locally, but he does see it from the server so I won't worry about that now. He needs to get busy and write the essay he wants to post.

Why do people leave everything to the last minutes?? and I'm in a hurry to get out of here so I can run to the mall and get my Mom a birthday gift for her birthday today and I'm meeting her for lunch and before I do that, I have to.......

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2003, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Do you know what method he used to download the files to his hard disk? Are you sure that the image file is located on his disk in the same relative/absolute path that is indicated in the HTML?
He downloaded them using the browser and they are in the same folder (same path) - I think it might be an IE thing.

With all your help, we got most of the mystery solved and he can get busy on the writing. We'll figure a way to get the image in there later (or maybe go without an image )

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website