RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

My New Web Site

Old 09-15-2004, 08:44 AM

My New Web Site

I recently bought a new computer and moved to NTL Broadband (complete with 50Mb of web space) so I took the opportunity to revamp my web site when I moved it to its new address. It's now at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/malfirth and I would appreciate people's comments about it. I still have work to do on some of the pages, converting them to the new format.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2004, 11:42 PM

Mal, what a beautiful website! I have been doing a lot of research on web usability and yours definately passes the test. More importantly, it made me want to look at each and every picture. I love the clean lines and subdued background. The pictures are allowed to shine!

The format you used is very effective at inviting the view in...to take a walk, to see the sights, to meet your friends. The artwork page is amazing!

Very nicely done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2004, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyMae
Mal, what a beautiful website! I have been doing a lot of research on web usability and yours definately passes the test. More importantly, it made me want to look at each and every picture. I love the clean lines and subdued background. The pictures are allowed to shine!

The format you used is very effective at inviting the view in...to take a walk, to see the sights, to meet your friends. The artwork page is amazing!

Very nicely done.
Thanks Franny, I'm flattered by your kind comments. One thing I have discovered lately is that a large number of web users still use a screen resolution of 800 x 600, so I was thinking of reducing the size of my pictures slightly so that thay are viewable at that resolution without scrolling.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2004, 06:41 AM

Mal, that is probably a good idea. I have been reading a lot about web "usability" issues, and if you can avoid making folks scroll that is a good thing. I'll have to check your site while I am at work because I know I have to scroll on just about every site when I use that computer. I don't think having to scroll down is such a horrible think....as long as I don't have to scroll sideways! But I love the clean, classy look of your site...not a bunch of stuff 'n nonsense, if you know what I mean. Well done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2004, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyMae
Mal, that is probably a good idea. I have been reading a lot about web "usability" issues, and if you can avoid making folks scroll that is a good thing. I'll have to check your site while I am at work because I know I have to scroll on just about every site when I use that computer. I don't think having to scroll down is such a horrible think....as long as I don't have to scroll sideways! But I love the clean, classy look of your site...not a bunch of stuff 'n nonsense, if you know what I mean. Well done.
Thanks again, I've just begun a little tidying up by making the header a bit slimmer and moving the menu slightly higher, so as to leave a little more room below it for the substance. I've also made the picture of me on the front page somewhat smaller so that it's not so in yer face. I am going to try reducing the size of the main images to about 500px wide so that all the picture can be seen on 800 x 600 without scrolling. That should also make them quite a reasonable size on other resolutions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2005, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Firth
I recently bought a new computer and moved to NTL Broadband (complete with 50Mb of web space) so I took the opportunity to revamp my web site when I moved it to its new address. It's now at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/malfirth and I would appreciate people's comments about it. I still have work to do on some of the pages, converting them to the new format.

Hi!

I really like your home page!! It is beautiful!

I would though suggest making the gallery table a bit bigger so that it takes up more of the page and the thumbnails are larger and more interesting. I would also not use the word "foto" so much in all the nav links.

What program did you use to make it?

Best regards,
Diane
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2005, 11:07 AM

Hi Franny...

It's funny that you mention Web Usability. I work for the Federal Government and that's actually a very large part when creating any web-based application or any presentation, on or off the web. There's a whole division here where I work dedicated to Usability. One of the requirements is that it must be based on an 800X600 resolution.
Just interesting to know that others also deal with this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2005, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipech
Hi!

I really like your home page!! It is beautiful!

I would though suggest making the gallery table a bit bigger so that it takes up more of the page and the thumbnails are larger and more interesting. I would also not use the word "foto" so much in all the nav links.

What program did you use to make it?

Best regards,
Diane
Thanks for your kind comments Diane, the only program I used was Notepad to write both the HTML and the Cascading Style Sheet.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website