RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

Photoshop CS > Automate > Photo Web Gallery > Horizontal Slideshow

Old 11-11-2004, 04:02 AM

Photoshop CS > Automate > Photo Web Gallery > Horizontal Slideshow

Hello,

I created a website using PS7 earlier this year and am happy with the results. I used the Vertical Slide Show 2 option and modified it for my needs.

I recently got PS CS and found they had different options... In particular they have a Horizontal Slide Show with the ability to advance, pause or 'rewind' the images: a very nice feature that I would like to incorporate in my site.

My problem is that I want a Vertical orientation and for some reason PS CS does not offer it... strange.

Anyone out there that can show me how to either a) insert some code into my existing site to accomplish this feature or b) how to modify the PS CS Horizontal Slide Show into a vertical one?

Thank you in advance,

Rocker
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2004, 05:53 AM

I'll have a look tonight (UK time) if no one gets back to you before then.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2004, 04:39 PM

*** NOTE: This will not work if you have special characters in your filenames. Stick to alphanumeric and underscore only. ***

Create Horizontal Slideshow from Photoshop CS.

Then navigate to the folder where you saved the slideshow.

1. Edit index.htm in a plain text editor (such as Notepad or WordPad). I suggest Notepad with Word Wrap turned OFF.

i) Find the line that starts <iframe id="TopFrame" and notice what src equals (it will be "pages/[something].htm").

ii) Select all (Ctrl+A) and delete. Copy and paste in all the text from the text file attached to this message.

iii) Find the line that starts <iframe id="TopFrame"and change src from "pages/****.htm" to whatever it was you noted above.

iv) Save index.htm

2. Edit ThumbnailFrame.htm in a plain text editor (such as Notepad or WordPad). I suggest Notepad with Word Wrap turned OFF.

i) Delete all instances of <tr align="center"> and </tr> (you can leave anything else that's on the same lines as these, though)

ii) Delete the lines
setImage("previous1", prevImg);
setImage("next1", nextImg);
setImage("pausePlay1", theImg);

iii) Edit every instance of <td align="center"> to read <tr><td align="center"> and every instance of </td> to read </td></tr>

iv) Save ThumbnailFrame.htm

3. In the /images subfolder, make the following adjustments:

i) Open next.gif, rotate 90% clockwise, resave

ii) Open next_disabled.gif, rotate 90% clockwise, resave

iii) Open previous.gif, rotate 90% clockwise, resave

iv) Open previous_disabled.gif, rotate 90% clockwise, resave
Attached Files
File Type: txt indextemplate.txt (3.9 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2004, 05:58 AM

Thanks

Hi Leah,

Thanks for the work you have done, but...

I am looking for a simpler way of accomplishing this.

When I first built the site in PS7 using the Vertical Slideshow 2 option, I modified the orginal files found in Presets > WebContactSheet > Vertical Slideshow 2 so that when I ran the Automate > Web Photo Gallery > Vertical Slideshow 2, it would create it correctly right then and there (I copied the original files and kept them in case I wanted to return to the PS7 default options for that slideshow).

I am hoping that the same thing can be done with PS CS. That is modify files located in Presets > Web Photo Gallery > Horizontal Slideshow so that the pages spit out correctly as I had done in PS7.

Otherwise, If I understand correctly then, every slideshow I create for each of my galleries (14 of them!!) will have to undergo the process you've outlined above... correct? This would be especially cumbersome everytime I had to add an image to a gallery... it must be automated for efficiency.

ps. I have found someone else who is working on this with me... I'll be more than happy to keep you posted if you don't want to proceed with this anymore...

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2004, 06:31 AM

Well, it only takes approximately 5 minutes per gallery (longer to read than to do ... after I'd written the instructions I tried them out to make sure they worked and that's how long it took (thanks to Replace All feature)), but I agree that it would be better to be able to squirt them out that way. I'll have a look at it for my own interest but in the meantime your friend might find what I have done useful in working out what to do with the presets.

One thing to mention -- the old gallery format used regular frames which are html standard -- the new one (or at least as used for the Horizontal Slideshow) used iframes which are not strictly speaking part of the standard (so far as I know, that might have changed) so you may want to do some cross-browser testing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2004, 06:57 AM

Thanks

Thanks Leah,

This person is from a different forum and his initial solution was similar to yours in that he worked with the files AFTER the automation process.

He is now working on the actual Automation files.

I'll keep you posted and by all means let me know if you were succesful.

I had a crack at it myself before posting on these forums - but I could not figure it out - I have zero experience in coding etc.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2004, 05:07 PM

OK -- this was actually pretty easy. Most of the work was in working out how to do it manually yesterday, and armed with that it only took ten minutes to work out the automation files.

Unzip the Vertical Slideshow folder (attached) into C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Presets\Web Photo Gallery and everything should work. If you want to change the standard headers and copyright statement they are in the IndexPage.htm file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Vertical Slideshow.zip (13.4 KB, 93 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2005, 11:28 AM

Exclamation Horizontal slideshow won't work on PC

I have a different issue with the Photosho CS horizontal slideshow. The javascript generated on my Mac version incorporates a time delay for paging through the slides. It works just fine on all the browsers on the Mac, but fails on IE for Windows XP and Windows 2000 Pro. On the PC, the show changes only the first slide, and then remains dormant, with a page error flag in the status bar. You can still page back & forth with the arrow buttons, and jump to any slide from the thumbnail navigation pane. I really want this simple slide show fuction to work on both platforms. I am burning a custom hybrid CD, so I can easily include a "Windows" version.
The show is available to view on line: www/dwiggins.com/teach
Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2005, 01:57 PM

I got this problem (first image displays, but not the others, plus javascript error in staus bar) playing around with it just on Windows -- it turned out the problem was the file names. It worked if the file names were just plain alphanumeric but, for example, anything with a dash character in it wouldn't work. I can't remember if spaces were OK. Is it possible your issue is something similar?

What do you get if you debug the javascript?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2005, 02:50 PM

horizontal slide show acting strange

I tried to adapt horizontal slide show.
Certain shows work perfectly on MAC OSX Tiger
Others just jump by example 1>4>5>7>8>3>4>5>7>8
I tried to change file names without result?
What can be the reason?

Koen
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website