RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

What to do when web page keeps suddenly crashing in Dreameaver??

Old 05-23-2005, 08:08 PM

Solved Dreamweaver Crashing problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldP
Was just curious to find out whether you solved your problem or not. If so, could you share your solution... if not, please contact me off-list and I will find a workable solution to your dilemna.

I just finished college with an AS in computer art and design. While in college, I assisted and tutored both students and instructors alike in a majority of the Adobe, Macromedia, and Microsoft graphics/imaging/page creation programs. So, I could likely assist you in finding your glitch and fixing it.

DonaldP

Hi Donald,

Thanks for writing. I did solve that problem though I don't understand what happened 100% to avoid it happening again. It was pretty bad as one by one my pages were crashing and couldn't be re-opened. It was something to do with code being in the body section that could only properly be in the head section on a library item for the website's banner.

I had used xhtml on these files and I'm not sure if that was also part of what went wrong. I solved it by revising the library item and then globally replacing the old version with the new.

I am new to Dreamweaver and part of the coding had to do with formatting the text in the banner area with CSS. After I did this I made it into a library item and a library item is not supposed to contain CSS.

I may need your help in the future with other things as I'm finding that Dreamweaver experts are not so easy to find!

I would be curious to know your opinion of how Dreamweaver compares to some of the other web creation programs; which one do you rate as the best, most user friendly?

Thanks again for contacting me,
Best regards,
Diane
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2005, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Hi Donald,

Thanks for writing. I did solve that problem though I don't understand what happened 100% to avoid it happening again. It was pretty bad as one by one my pages were crashing and couldn't be re-opened. It was something to do with code being in the body section that could only properly be in the head section on a library item for the website's banner.

I had used xhtml on these files and I'm not sure if that was also part of what went wrong. I solved it by revising the library item and then globally replacing the old version with the new.

I am new to Dreamweaver and part of the coding had to do with formatting the text in the banner area with CSS. After I did this I made it into a library item and a library item is not supposed to contain CSS.

I may need your help in the future with other things as I'm finding that Dreamweaver experts are not so easy to find!

I would be curious to know your opinion of how Dreamweaver compares to some of the other web creation programs; which one do you rate as the best, most user friendly?

Thanks again for contacting me,
Best regards,
Diane
Hi Diane,

I was very happy to read that you finally figured out what was causing the problem. But, as you had said in your last message, you weren't completely 100% sure as to whether the problem may show up again or not.

A general rule of thumb, in this case, would be that if you have found a solution for the problem, then retrace the steps you took to alleviate the situation and place the information onto a text file for future reference. This way, should the situation arise again (and it just might), you'll have information to work with that will save you time, hair, and brain cells. *grins*

I self-taught myself hand-coding long before I was introduced to Dreamweaver, which I've been using on and off since version 4. Hence, I can go into my code, read what has been placed there, figure out where I made my mistake and make the appropriate corrections where necessary.

I have gone through approximately a dozen and a half different HTML and site-building programs, over the last 7 years. Many were trials, some were betas, and others were full-blown programs. Of all these programs, I've settled on two which have served me the best so far.... Dreamweaver (Macromedia) and FrontPage (Microsoft). Each has its own pluses and minuses that will either make you extremely pleased or drive you completely insane. Also, there are plugins and widgets that can be used to make life a little easier, depending on what you want to add to your site.

There are plenty of the programs that will state "no knowledge of HTML is needed", which, in my honest opinion, defeats the whole premise of site creation. Granted, there are some that will do what you want them to do, but if you should happen to make a mistake somewhere along the line, you're pretty much stuck. And what I mean by this is that if there isn't a separate window that will show you what your coding looks like, then how are you going to know what to fix?

With your permission, I would like the opportunity to see your finished site as well as the coding that was giving you grief (provided you have a copy of it on file, that is). I may be able to come up with a viable solution that will prevent the situation from arising again.

Oh, and for what it is worth, I do this on two different platforms... PC and Macintosh... which also have pluses and minuses, but I can tell you about those later if you wish.

Anytime you need help, please don't hesitate to contact me... I will help you where I am able.

Many Blessings and Best Regards,

Donald

P.S. - I almost forgot... you are much welcome!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website