RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Your Website Questions and (hopefully) answers about setting up your own business or gallery website

What to do when web page keeps suddenly crashing in Dreameaver??

Old 02-06-2005, 02:08 PM

What to do when web page keeps suddenly crashing in Dreameaver??

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of creating my first website ever using Dreamweaver MX 2004. I am getting close to finishing it. I have not yet uploaded it to a server and preview all the pages locally. The problem I'm suddenly having is that the file for a page seems to somehow be getting corrupted and then Dreamweaver crashes each time I try to re-open the page. This is the second page this has happened to..

Has anyone heard of this kind of problem? Any suggestions??

Hope someone can help,
Diane
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2005, 02:21 PM

Just wanted to add that the page does still show up when I go to it from a linked page online.

Thanks,
Diane
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Janitor

I tried Googling "dreamweaver crashes" and got 29,100 results!

I don't use Dreamweaver, but I did see that it has a problem when opening or previewing a page that contains a link to a missing file.

Wish I could be of more help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2005, 03:14 PM

Thanks, Doug, this clue helps a bit. I have been making alot of changes in the links and other pages. Maybe there is some old code from an earlier version of the page that is causing the problem. Though how might I access it if I can no longer open the page (at least in Dreamweaver)?

I am just now searching the Macromedia site tech support area for any answers and will try searching on google next.

Thanks for the tip,
Diane
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2005, 07:11 PM

Check out the Macromedia site and make sure you have the latest update.
Dreamweaver MX 2004 and Dreamweaver MX 2004 Update 7.0.1

Quote:
About the 7.0.1 Update
Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004 (7.0.1) fixes known problems in Dreamweaver MX 2004. Some of these issues could cause Dreamweaver to perform slowly or occasionally crash, so all current Dreamweaver MX 2004 users should download and install this software update.

Stability improvements
The update fixes several bugs that caused Dreamweaver to crash, such as in certain circumstances when working on ASP.NET or JSP pages in Design view, or when applying bold or italics to text after applying a color style to the text.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2005, 07:39 PM

Thanks T. I am using the latest update....

Still haven't figured this out....
Diane
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2005, 10:44 AM

Hmmmm. What a pain. I suggest sending an email or making a phone call to Dreamweaver Support. Let us know if you figure out what is causing the crashes.

Best of Luck!

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2005, 12:25 PM

Are you using any extensions? I've been using DW for years (v3, 4, UltraDev, MX, and now MX2004) and the only time I ever had DW crash was with a bad extension. The only way to find out which one it is, unfortunately, is to either uninstall *all* of the extensions via the Extension Manager (just uncheck the box next to the name) and then re-install them one at a time (remember, that DW has to be shut down when installing an extension) and relaunching the app after each one to find the culprit. OR if you just installed some new extensions, start with removing those first.

Hmm just an afterthought. Did you install a new version of Java recently? If so, you might roll-back to an early JRE to see if that helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2005, 03:43 PM

Re: Dreamweaver crashes

Hi,

So this is the online response I received via Macromedia support:

I am not sure if this is the problem, but I notice
> that you have a css link
> to an .htm file:
>
> <link href="../final-index-picture%20perfect.htm"
> rel="stylesheet"
> type="text/css" />
>
> If this page happens to link a file that includes
> this file, then it will
> crash due to an infinite loop. This is a known bug
> that we will fix for the
> next release.
>
> Try removing or fixing this link to see if that
> fixes the problem.
>

This does in fact appear to be the problem, but I haven't figured out how to work around it yet. If I just delete the code, I seem unable to format the library item which is my main web banner that the code relates to. If I cut and move the code to the "head" area, it has no formatting effect at all. There are some 50 other pages in my site that all use the same library banner item so this is a really huge problem...

I also discovered an online validation service at http://validator.w3org.
This indicated that one common cause of a "style element" showing up in the "body" section instead of the "head" is the use of xhtml syntax in html docs.

I did initially start out with my DW preferences set to "make all docs xhtml compliant" but later (after probs arose) unchecked this preference.

Does anyone know if there is a way to now get rid of the xhtml coding and classification of a doc as xhtml vs html??

Man, if you think photo restoration can be hard at times.....

Any advice, suggestions or alternative speeches would be appreciated!
Diane
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2005, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipech
I am not sure if this is the problem, but I notice
> that you have a css link
> to an .htm file:
>
> <link href="../final-index-picture%20perfect.htm"
> rel="stylesheet"
> type="text/css" />
While probably not the problem, it's a good rule of thumb to never use spaces in a file name that will be used online. (that's what the %20) is referencing. Also, never use any special characters in file names like +,'{}[]|\/?=()*&^%$#@!~`;: use only letters, numbers, dashes (debatable, but I will still use them), and/or underscores, and nothing else for your filenames.

Also, a CSS file should end in .CSS and not .HTM because the CSS file should not have any HTML formatting in it at all. If it has the HTM/HTML extension on it, the application could add all the HTML/TITLE/HEAD/BODY/etc tags to the file and create lots of problems.

Quote:
Does anyone know if there is a way to now get rid of the xhtml coding and classification of a doc as xhtml vs html??
Well, you'd need to change your DTD (document type declaration)... hopefully you created the site by making a template and basing everything off of a template page so you can just edit the template and have all its child pages replicate the changes. Otherwise, perhaps it would be best if you start from scratch with a new base site and learn from the mistakes of this one. Don't worry, we all go through this, it's part of the learning process.

Quote:
Any advice, suggestions or alternative speeches would be appreciated!
Diane
There are many good DW books out on the market - if you've not picked any up, do so. They usually run in the $50.00 range. Check out many of the developer/extension sites like Project Seven (aka PVII) -- www.projectseven.com -- they have a lot of good tutorials and add-ons for Dreamweaver.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Your Website