Non-work related copyright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-work related copyright

I think I remember reading something about using images for educational purposes (but maybe not). Some time ago, I saw a photo of two kittens or two puppies on a calendar. The photo carried the copyright symbol. At the time, I thought it would make a good image for use in a tutorial, and I tried to contact the holder of the copyright (without any luck). I did not post the image (or even scan it) because of the copyright. Is it okay to use an image like this for the intended purpose? Do you think it's ethical? I'd be interested in your views on this.

Ed

Again, as covered in another thread, it would fall under "fair use" here, but possibly not in subsequent re-use by our members.

It would probably be ok to use it for your own purposes, as long as you don't re-sell, re-distribute, or make any money off of it.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

I could point you to the relevent documents but suffice to say that sadly even for personal use, you cant use the pictures or reproduce/alter them in any way - sorry

however I wont tell if you wont and you could always chance your arm and put a disclaimer that if anyone finds your work derivative you will replace it

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Crissyanon
        Poor Mans Copyright
        Crissyanon
        by Crissyanon
        Has any one heard of a poor mans copyright? Some one told me I could put my images on a cd and send it certified mail back to myself. I was told not to open it and put it away that way if anyone were to use the images I could use this in court. Not sure how true it is???? I always add the copyright...
        07-24-2011, 06:50 PM
      • TheTexan
        Another interesting Copyright question
        TheTexan
        by TheTexan
        Now that we have thoroughly reviewed our copyright rules here is one we havent been over.

Let's say you restore an antique photo that is out of its copyright. To whom did the copyright revert. Does the copyright renew itself in the name of the estate of the owner? (I dont think so)....
        09-03-2002, 05:41 PM
      • Duv
        Copyright
        Duv
        by Duv
        I was running a Copyright action on a batch of images on my desktop. After it was completed, I noticed that several images in fact were not mine and were copyrighted by others. However, when I went to File Info, the copyright was now under my name.

How then is original copyrighter protected...
        06-06-2004, 05:51 PM
      • Ed_L
        copyright releases
        Ed_L
        by Ed_L
        I was just looking through some of the very early threads in this forum, and I came across one that touched on copyright releases. My question is this: If the client signs a statement indicating that he/she owns the copyright or has permission to have it copied, does that take us, as restoration artists,...
        04-09-2002, 03:03 PM
      • bcarll
        Copyright again
        by bcarll
        Well the copyright issue will always be one to be discussed whether here or in other forums. It still remains a gray area in my mind but I try to think about it like this -- everything has an owner. Would I borrow something from my neighbor without asking such as a rake or mower? The answer is no of...
        12-10-2006, 10:29 AM
      Working...
      X