Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posting images you found through Google on Craigslist

Hi,

I'm looking to build a high end retouching portfolio, and I've been having the toughest time to find quality images to work on. I've been thinking about posting something on craigslist along the line of free retouching in exchange for permission to use images for portfolio, etc... The problem is that I'll be including examples of the type of images that I'm looking to retouch in the post that I found on Google so that photographers get an idea of what I'm interested in retouching. My question is that would it be ok to use images you found on the net and post them elsewhere as an example?

Ban

Re: Posting images you found through Google on Craigslist

No. Unless you get their permission first.

There are plenty of sources for copyright-free images. Stock.xchng, morguefiles, Library of Congress, just to name 3.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll just have to make the post without the images.

Comment

How about providing URL links to the photographers' websites?

Comment

Why not make a genuine page of your own work and link to that?
          Learn by teaching

Comment

Well, that's my whole intention of acquiring images to work on so I'll have a portfolio to show legally on the web. I don't have anything that I have permission to display on the web...not even the stuff I've done at work. I have to start somewhere.

Comment

Start by doing work on copyright-free images. Or some of the Challenges here. Those you can show legally to anyone.
              Learn by teaching

Comment

Thanks for your help. I had my fair share of practicing on images similar in quality to those copyright-free images and challenges, but now they're just not something I would want to put in my portfolio. I've been searching for beauty stock photos, but so far they've all been retouched which destroy the purpose of my need. To give you a clear visual of the type of images I'm interested in acquiring, the images by Sarah Silver echo the style of images that I've done and they're exactly the type of images that I want to build my portfolio upon.

Comment

Re: Posting images you found through Google on Cra

I have the same question. Where can I download / buy high-quality copyright-free pictures which still have room to do technical or artistic re-touch work on. Of course I need to display them before-after on my website legally.

Thanks~

Comment

try this for starters:

http://www.lipstickfetish.org/forum/...pic.php?t=9579

Comment

There is no clear copyright statement or model release with those images, which is not the same thing as being copyright-free. If in doubt, don't.
                      Learn by teaching

Comment

Thanks, pixelzombie, it's very nice of you for the fast reply, and the photos in your link are very good too. But I am afraid that I have to agree with Doug... I am in this for business, can't take a chance to be sued, even the chance is remote.

Too bad myself is not a good photographer, nor I could afford to hire one (and models) to shoot some samples. I remember there is a website (but I don't remember the site name anymore ...) with huge collections of everyday pictures. Every picture has a disclosure 1. free, 2. need to credit the owner 3. need to pay the owner etc. As I said, I don't mind to pay several bucks for a good one, but I need to be sure that I can use it commercially.

Thanks again~

Comment

Working...
                        X