portfolio images = legal probelms??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• portfolio images = legal probelms??

do you need permission from a photographer/model/company before posting before/after samples in a portfolio?

someone told me that as long as i note the photographer as the copyright then i shouldnt feel "guilty" about using images in my retouching book.
    others disagree.

and ironically all the photographers i meet with want to see online samples of work ive done in the past.

anyone know what the legal method is?

Re: portfolio images = legal probelms??

You always need permission to use someone else's work. This goes for music, writing, film, and of course retouching.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

i thought it fell under the "fair use" clause of copywrite laws, but i've been told i am wrong..it's kind of a grey area as the copywrite laws refer to authors and the written word...

Comment

Not gray at all. In fact, the only confusion is caused by those that wish there was some confusion. Fair use only applies to scholarly and editorial use. Portfolios are neither.
        Learn by teaching
        Take responsibility for learning

Comment

what category do Portfolios fall under, as part of fair use allows exemptions for the purpose of critiquing...

Comment

retouching falls under the derivative works clause, and as such still needs permission from the original author.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ14.html#derivative/

Comment

If the copyright owner disagrees with your interpretation of fair use --- you may get sued. I think the following webpage explains the problems of claiming fair use.

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyrigh...pter9/9-d.html

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• bcnretouch
                celebrities in portfolio-
                by bcnretouch
                Hi everyone,

I am in the process of setting up my portfolio and have a question. I have a number of celebrity images that I want to include. I have permission from the photographer but obviously I can't show before and afters on my site. Is there any way that I can provide interested...
                11-15-2011, 07:24 AM
              • Tig
                Questions on how to impress with portfolio without violating copyright violations
                by Tig
                I've worked for an image agency where I've done retouching on several celebrities. I did not have a portfolio prior to said job, but now I'd like to build one in hopes of getting some retouching work.

Because of copyright violations, I know displaying before and after shots is out of...
                04-06-2007, 03:39 AM
              • Darvinder Singh Kochhar
                Stock images for practicing and portfolio
                by Darvinder Singh Kochhar
                Hi guys.

I am willing to make a retouching portfolio but I do not have any original images to work on. Could you please guide me to a website or a section on this forum which helps me get those images?

Thanks in advance. Would really appreciate your help.
                08-28-2012, 12:35 PM
              • CloieEB
                Images for my portfolio?
                by CloieEB
                I'm currently setting up a new website under a new professional name, and thought I needed better quality images to go alongside that.
                Where would I be able to find beauty/fashion images that I would be able to work on and then showcase in my portfolio on my website?
                I've already come...
                07-15-2012, 08:47 AM
              • madscientist
                some queastions on building a portfolio
                by madscientist
                Hey everyone,

I'm planning on building an online portfolio of my retouch & design work.. and attach a blog and some other pages to that as well.. I definitely want to make it in wordpress.. still looking for a nice theme

a few Q's

1) What would be...
                02-24-2012, 05:24 AM
              Working...
              X