IMPERATIVE THAT YOU READ: Copyrighting Photographs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMPERATIVE THAT YOU READ: Copyrighting Photographs

As most of you know, you don't have to register your work for it to be copyrighted. The act of creating it is enough to satisfy the law. However, it is best to register with the U.S. Copyright Office if you ever wish to pursue monetary damages. This is not always the case but it is the best way to go.

As some of you also know, to copyright an image with the U.S. Copyright Office runs $30. Well, have I got news for you. In speaking with the U.S. Copyright Office by telephone yesterday regarding an idea that I had, I discovered that, according to their office, it is confirmed that you may present a contact sheet of your photos and, get this, there is no particular limitation on the size of the contact sheet. In their eyes, anything on that contact sheet is copyrighted and is covered by the law. I'm figuring that I can get several hundred images copyrighted for $30. Isn't that neat and enlightening (to say the least)? For you doubters, don't take my word for it. Call the copyright office and find out for yourself. You can also fill a CD with low-res JPGs and batch register that way.

I hope this will encourage more photographers/artists/painters, etc. to register and protect themselves. This is an issue that has come up many times on this forum and others.
    Steve
    Last edited by Trimoon; 01-04-2003, 12:49 PM.

Great find Steve! that's very valuable information to have.

- David

Comment

Thanks for that info Steve! If I decide to go the CD route, do you know if that covers the printed versions of the images as well?

Jeanie

Comment

Excellent info! Thanks for passing that on.

Ed

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Crissyanon
          Poor Mans Copyright
          by Crissyanon
          Has any one heard of a poor mans copyright? Some one told me I could put my images on a cd and send it certified mail back to myself. I was told not to open it and put it away that way if anyone were to use the images I could use this in court. Not sure how true it is???? I always add the copyright...
          07-24-2011, 05:50 PM
        • Duv
          Copyright
          by Duv
          I was running a Copyright action on a batch of images on my desktop. After it was completed, I noticed that several images in fact were not mine and were copyrighted by others. However, when I went to File Info, the copyright was now under my name.

How then is original copyrighter protected...
          06-06-2004, 04:51 PM
        • thomasgeorge
          Further Copyright Info
          by thomasgeorge
          For those interested, or who just want to get a headache from reading some convoluted stuff, the link below will take you to a not so brief, but none the less, moderately enlightening explination of Copyright regs/law: http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/bytop...rop/circ1.html

Good luck,...
          04-16-2002, 02:08 PM
        • darylbubba
          Is copyright expensive-can I fake it on my photos
          by darylbubba
          I have 70 years old photo negatives. I make prints and sell them. I do not want other people to copy my prints and sell them. Is copyrighting expensive? Is it worth the time and trouble? Can I affix a copyright symbol to my images even though they have not been registered? If they have a copyright symbol,...
          11-30-2010, 07:21 PM
        • TheTexan
          Another interesting Copyright question
          by TheTexan
          Now that we have thoroughly reviewed our copyright rules here is one we havent been over.

Let's say you restore an antique photo that is out of its copyright. To whom did the copyright revert. Does the copyright renew itself in the name of the estate of the owner? (I dont think so)....
          09-03-2002, 04:41 PM
        Working...
        X