Setting up FTP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up FTP

How do I set FTP so that clients can send me files? Do I need a seperate computer? I have broadband. What are the security issues?

Help, I am in the dark. I am in the sticks and want to do work for the surrounding town photo studios/labs and I need to know how they can get the files to me. I do not want to set up a web page, just recieve work.

Larry

There are some free, and low cost PHP scripts that will allow a user to upload a photo onto your site.. most are easy to install, however, you would have to have a site. If you do decide to get a site, some servers come with an assortment of free scripts.
    ~Nancy~
    OOpps almost forgot your clients can send you large files up to 1 gb :http://www.yousendit.com/
    Last edited by Nanls; 10-14-2005, 04:04 PM.

Comment

This is what i have set up

http://www.cerberusftp.com/

BUt you have to set up port forwarding on your router if you have one.

Its very simple to run and works great, i've not had any problems.

EDIT: yousendit works great 85% of the time, i have had files not show up at their destination email address, its neither in the spam folder or anything else. I notice this with slightly larger files, versus smaller ones

Comment

a much safer way...

is to give client access to your server directory, (with security) so as not to have clients looking at other clients work (or messing with your website for that matter).

Comment

Still confused. Don't have a server or do I. Only one computer. Do I need two? Plenty of hard drive space - 4 plut external.

Larry

Comment

If FTP is confusing (and may be for your clients too), just use http://www.yousendit.com/

Comment

If you have a website, talk to your hosting company. They can easily (and sometimes for free) set you up with a basic FTP account. I have one. It has basically two directories (although I can make others). "Incoming," for when clients send me files and a "Pub" folder, for me to put files they can grab. However, the "Pub" folder is publically accessible. If privacy is needed, I can set up a folder and password protect it. All of this came free from the company that hosts my site (cihost.com)

Comment

Originally posted by leuallen
                Still confused. Don't have a server or do I. Only one computer. Do I need two? Plenty of hard drive space - 4 plut external.

Larry
                No...you can run that program that i linked to off of one computer, set up password protected directories, etc etc....i run it on my desktop, that i work on.

Comment

Working...
                X