Professional Ret. Techniques in commercials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professional Ret. Techniques in commercials

sometimes i wonder how professional retouchers got their jobs done so good, due to the limited time there usually is in this stressful business.

is it just years of experience which makes them so fast or is there something left i dont know, wonder-applications, crazy techniques, new filters, and so on, which help them to improve the picture carefully with a perfect look but still in a very short period of time. for myself, i am working as retoucher since 8 month, 6 month in a fashion photographers’s studio and 2 month in my homeoffice.

i am referring especially to the skin problem. you cant click point-per-point with dodge and burn or healing brush if you have 10 or 20 nearly nude or bikini-images with a time limit of 5 days or so, in my opinion. (using Photoshop CS)

i am struggling a bit as i am currently working on commercial jobs and the time limit is exceeded. when i hurry up more i produce more mistakes or leave something which doesnt look so good.

using filters/blurs/and other techniques which cover whole areas of the skin/image isnt satisfying for some pictures and it just looks too soft. the problem is, that the photographers, shooting the popular billboard campaigns have very demanding and high expectations regarding a perfect skin without anything on it than decent visible but very sharp pors. they demand the original texture of the skin, which shouldnt look soft at all, only pores and shades, but no stains, spots, blurs, bruises, freckles and so on...

the question is, if its only possible to produce a high quality retouched picture having a certain amount of time or not? is it really hard work, with examining every little mini-inch of an image or are there hidden techniques which i am not aware of – still delivering high quality for commercial use?

Well, I don't do much skin work, but I do a lot of product images and cars. With the cars I will typically have about 100+ images that need to be retouched in about 2 weeks. It's really not that bad. You do so many of them you find ways to be more efficient. I don't use filters too much (except sometimes I'll add noise to match the film grain) but almost every image is like the one prior and you just get used to it.

For product shots you kinda get into a rythm. And then you're amazed how quickly you can get it done. This is why I don't like to get paid on an hourly basis. I tend to get penalized for being fast. Instead, I usually will charge a per image fee.

I suppose for models (skin) it's not too different. You just get better as you do more of them.

Comment

i have the answer

Hello everyone
      I just want all of you to look at my work and please have a close eye on skin texture and sharpness of the photograph..and important thing each of these photos have taken not more then 5 minutes.. i have quickest and best tools
      please reply if anybody's interested
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Akbar Tahir
        Hello everyone
        I just want all of you to look at my work and please have a close eye on skin texture and sharpness of the photograph..and important thing each of these photos have taken not more then 5 minutes.. i have quickest and best tools
        indeed very good. how so fast? this result would take me at least 5h in Photoshop. i am mostly beginning with the healing-brush. this takes me at least 1 h for a whole bikini body to remove the biggest errors in the skin and so on....
        Last edited by pure; 02-26-2006, 02:07 AM.

Comment

what about this one

wats you openion about this one ,,in my photgraphs photos are high quality retouched and they look like plastic doll coz i always love to preserve pros on faces that is why my photographs are well detailed there is no cloning,no healing ...please checkout my other threads...

Comment

Hello everyone
            WAY overdone, IMO. Her skin looks like an orange peel - this is not attractive. Large deep pores are ugly, if an image is close and detailed enough to show individual pores (and 95% arent) they should be shallow and tight, not like giant crators

This took about 4 minutes, degrunged the skin - byRo has a tutorial on how to do this in the tuts section, then 50% opacity surface blur of original to soften the deeper pores and finished off with a colour adjustment layer.
            Attached Files

Comment

I would suggest writing actions, especially if you have shots with similar characteristic to work on. Certainly, less mouse/menu, more keyboard shortcuts. There is some time a psychological trap, when you are trying to get a perfect result, but you don't know how…trying more, loosing time. I often catch myself in this trap, and for me it means, that I overdid already! I go back for 20%, and it is OK.

Comment

very impresive!

Hei Akbar

just saw ur before and after photos

im blown away!

how did you do the skin?

Comment

Pure,

there is a big border between cheap and expensive. Fashion magazines like Vogue etc. have good images, true. But they are not SO really good. They are very small and will be viewed one or two times, then the paper goes to the trashcan so there is no need to be super-accurate.

But the big deals, Alice as an example here (as a german you should know her ) is printed on 12 foot walls so those pictures are indeed done pixel by pixel.

After all, this is why they are a slight bit more expensive than a 20 Cent print in the photo-store

Comment

Hello everyone

For quick facial or body retouch please try Kodak Digital_GEM_Air_Pro ...

Comment

tried it.
                      they overuse it in the TV-newspapers and some ads.
                      it looks artificial. maybe using it and decreasing the kodak-layer to 20% ?

Comment

nothing can beat clone stamp

Hello everyone

hai

nothing can beat clone stamp i did in only 3 minutes to for this results
                        Attached Files

Comment

Image from my Website

Tahir...

I see that you are using an image from my site.

Also come clean... you are not using Photoshop but another piece of software - why the big secret??

Comment

C'mon Tahir - spill the beans

Tahir,

I think Shelby has made an interesting observation; I'd very much like to know what tools you are using to get a result like that in just 5 minutes (if you're not using PS and Ro's de-grunge technique, or something very similar).

I'm also curious as to why you haven't revealed your technique in any of your posts. I guess if you wanna keep it a secret that's fine, but I'm pretty sure there are a lot of members who would be very interested to know what the process is.

P.S. Shelby - I can't get to your website - I just get re-directed to Pipex - thought you might want to know.

Comment

site is down

yip, I need to sort out my hosting - Thanks anyway

Tahir... why be shy about it?

Comment