USPS irradiation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USPS irradiation

Since 9/11 and the anthrax scare the US Postal Service has taken to irradiating our mail to kill possible malicious germs. I've read of some real problems with this (harm to flash memory cards, unprocessed film, etc.) and also some problems under investigation, including some paper problems.

I'm currently discouraging mail shipment of user originals, just to be safe. And I don't use the mail for return shipments.

Have you taken any steps like this?
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

This is scary. I bought a another stick for my puter a while back, and can't remember if it was before or after 9-11. What about hardware? Is there a danger if we buy a new video card or some CDs?

Comment

There seems to be a large FUD factor (fear, uncertainty, doubt) about the whole irradiation thing. Officially, USPS claims they only irradiate incoming mail to certain zipcodes. But mail distribution routes can be very complex nowadays. The notice of compactflash damage was released by the Compact Flash Association.

I did some searching and wasn't able to come up with anything but anecdotal information (though the USPS does admit the process can turn paper brown).

Anyone more knowledgeable than me about this around?
      Learn by teaching
      Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• winwintoo
        OK, now what do I do??
        by winwintoo
        Those of you who've followed my somewhat checkered career, know that I've done some volunteering at the local Seniors' center in the computer lab and even did a couple of stand-up routines based on PhotoShop Elements - to rave reviews I might add

I've had several requests from...
        03-30-2005, 12:00 PM
      • subxaero
        What Speedlight for my EOS400D
        by subxaero
        i want to buy a flash for my eos and have absolutely no idea which one.

the following prerequisites are important:

- it can not be expensive
        - i dont want it attached to my cam, but loose and automatically triggered via remote (or how ever it works ) (being able to...
        03-06-2008, 10:31 AM
      • gina
        recovery deleted CF data
        by gina
        Hi,

Has anyone info or experience with recovery from accidentally deleted photo's on Compact Flash cards??
        Memorex 256 Mb
        Canon G3

Thank you
        gina
        08-15-2003, 12:53 PM
      • Vikki
        Booth ideas
        by Vikki
        Doug, I don't have any information for you, just another question.
        But it's sort of on the same subject (actually I was going to start a thread when I saw yours).

Has anyone here done any displays for their work?
        I'm thinking about setting up a booth at a local home show,...
        10-07-2001, 12:58 PM
      • Ed_L
        A lot of computer help needed
        by Ed_L
        I've been having a lot of trouble with my computer for a while, and we're thinking seriously about buying a new one. Since we know *little* about computers, I have several questions.

1. What's the difference between a Celeron and Pentium processor? Is one better than the other?
        01-09-2002, 04:43 AM
      Working...
      X