Are retoucher's a dying breed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are retoucher's a dying breed?

Everywhere I look there seems to be a lesser need for a retoucher and more need for photographers and designers with retouching skills. Just what to know what everyone else is experiencing.

Re: Are retoucher's a dying breed?

WOW! 33 people have viewed so far and no response.

Comment

Are photographers a dying breed? I mean everyone now has a camera, a computer and PhotoShop.

The answer is no. Designers should have some retouching abilities. Photographers, due to the nature of digital also have or come by skills as a necessity. There still is and always will be a need for high end retouchers. The low end is where there is no need and it's also why retouching houses eveywhere are more and more having their applicants take involved tests.

Comment

Now we're getting somewhere.
        Ant, I agree with you totally. Could you please recommend some retouching sites that show the high-end skills that are in demand. So far, the only sites that I have seen that exemplify these skills are THOMASCANNYSTUDIO AND
        DOUG FISHER.

Comment

http://www.industrialcolor.com/home.html
          http://www.4thfloorny.com/
          http://www.nucleusimaging.com
          http://www.boxstudios.com/
          http://www.backbonenyc.com

Comment

Sorry Ant, you gonna have to do better then that.
            Been in the biz a long time and know the difference between high-end retouching and high-end photography. I bet you have a hard time getting past the gate keepers to develop a portfolio to showcase your work.

Thanks anyway

Comment

Originally posted by mche
              Sorry Ant, you gonna have to do better then that.
              Been in the biz a long time and know the difference between high-end retouching and high-end photography. I bet you have a hard time getting past the gate keepers to develop a portfolio to showcase your work.

Thanks anyway

What the hell are you talking about? I listed high end retouching houses. I don't know who doug fisher is, but thomas canny studio is retouching also. What did you want to see? If you have been in business a long time, what have you been doing?

Photography? Gatekeepers?

Comment

It is not my wish to pick a fight about a topic that probably no retoucher would like to discuss or consider. I appreciate your honest answer and the links provided. To answer your question concerning what I have been doing
                .......I was retouching Christie Brinkley when you were running around in sh#&ty diapers.

Comment

mche
                  There will always be a need for hi end retouchers no matter how involved a designer or photographer gets involved with doing it themselves.

Whether there will be a lot of these hi end retouchers is another story. Just like a lot of the higher end post production houses that are consolidating, hi end retouchers will be focusing on making a few clients happy if they are freelancers. There is to much of the give it to me quick and well done going on for there to be large client lists anymore. Even larger houses with multiple hi end retouchers on site are having problems with this.

Personally, I turn down more work because of this attitude than I take. I have a level of excellence that I have work to achieve since the very early 80's that I am not willing to compromise just because someone thinks it is easier because it is digital.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by mche
                    It is not my wish to pick a fight about a topic that probably no retoucher would like to discuss or consider. I appreciate your honest answer and the links provided. To answer your question concerning what I have been doing
                    .......I was retouching Christie Brinkley when you were running around in sh#&ty diapers.
                    Not arguing or looking for a fight. just have no clue what you meant by:

"Sorry Ant, you gonna have to do better then that.
                    Been in the biz a long time and know the difference between high-end retouching and high-end photography. I bet you have a hard time getting past the gate keepers to develop a portfolio to showcase your work."

what is it that you are looking for? I posted only retouching, not photogs sites.

Gate keeper and portfolio? What is it that you are trying to say here?

"..I was retouching Christie Brinkley when you were running around in sh#&ty diapers."

Is that right? Yet you can't recognize a website for what it is? You want to get personal? I'm 35 and have been doing this in NYC, professionally for 8 years.

probably no retoucher would like to discuss or consider
                    Ones who aren't any good or don't have real skills above the norm perhaps, nor anything else to fall back on. If there were an actual pro retouching forum somewhere you'd get more discussion, but there isn't. Hence, we are both here - killing time and feeling good about our work..

edit to remove some snarky-ness

edit again: less snarky
                    Last edited by Ant; 03-02-2007, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Re: Ant and Cricket1961

A lot of truth in both of your words IMO... and I only see these things from the relatively uninformed outside looking in. I think that anyone that spends a good amount of time looking for work will see that most employers simply do not want someone who only knows Photoshop. It's seen a a valued extra even in some general office work ads I've seen.

Good artists (regardless of what their art is) are generally not respected or appreciated enough and I'm not so sure that's a sign of the times.
                      Many people DO think it's all easy and should be done for peanuts because of digital and computers in general. I think that you always get what you pay for and if you have unrealistic expectations that's your fault. There's no such thing as a one-click fix that will work for everything but I often get the impression that a lot of people think that's how it is.

I don't consider myself an artist. I'm a geek/dork with artistic tendencies, poor social skills, mid-range intellect and the ability to amuse myself by finding missing pieces, fixing something broken or just making something better than it was before I got ahold of it. I didn't grow up around art, photography or with money. One day I got a job at a photo lab because it was the only thing that had come my way in 3 weeks that I didn't think would drive me insane 2 weeks into it... and I haven't been the same since

Sorry if I got a little soapboxy

Comment

I just wanted to know what other people are going through in this ever evolving industry. Over the years, I have seen alot of excellent craftsmen become dinosaurs within a matter of months, myself included. Yes, I am behind the times with the newest trends and got blind sided by a corporate merger. Basically, spent too many thankless nights preparing victoria's secret for submit. I can not blame anyone because it's just business as usual, but when you've made a living doing something that you love, get caught in the cross hairs, and no access to all the work produced for clients....well, it gets sort of rough. Thanks for your responses, just wanted to know what's going on and Ant...hey, I had to take my frustrations out on someone and your snarky response pulled the switch. But at least you were honest....I know your good at what you do. Take care and no harm was meant. I think it's time for me to pack my bags and ride off into the sunset.

Comment

I think it's time for me to pack my bags and ride off into the sunset.
                          Or conversely you could stay here and give others the benefit of your skill and experience. I'm sure it would be appreciated.

Comment

A few comments and questions...
                            Define a high end retoucher...what are their skills vs. a non-high end retoucher? What does a high-end retoucher retouch? Models? For magazines? Does one take a test to be a qualified retoucher? Again what are the skills? I can imagine a high end retoucher has a unique touch. Someone creative. Someone who can deliver a quality product quickly. Some one that can provide a unique look? Just curious.

When I think of photography and touching, I first think of film. Digital has really taken off during the last 5 to 10 years. Before that it was film. Processing film took time. Today I can go out and take 1000 digial pics in a few hours. In the past, with film, every shot counted and cost. Then there was the post processing. I'm sure there are those who have been in a dark room dodging and burning with light and a piece of paper at the end of a pencil. The "film" retoucher was indeed a very respected artist - trust me, I was not one of those. Times are now a changin...new skills must be learned by us old dinosaurs..or we will die or get close to extinction....like Minolta and Kodak. It appears to me, that there is a new breed of retouchers: those that can retouch digital and can effectively use the tools like photoshop.

More skills more possibilities.

I admire those who pursue photography and retouching or any other art as a full time means of employment. .

Comment

Gary,

From what I've seen on the forum, you guy's are far ahead of me.
                              Besides, after viewing Chris Tarantino's site, I'm convinced that
                              RP has benefitted from someone that has carried on a tradition of
                              excellence in the retouching arena. Darn, should have been here sooner.

Comment