Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retouching Assistants?

Hi everybody,
    I recently moved to New York and am looking for entry level retouching opportunities. I have been doing freelance assisting for two years and retouching for one. I would really like to get my foot in the door at a retouching house, but don't think anyone is taking me very seriously with only one year of experience. Anyways, I was wondering if there is such a thing as a retouching assistant? And also, are there really any entry level retouching jobs, or is it pretty much freelance until you have enough experience.

I was thinking about doing an internship, but I'm not in school anymore and need to work for a living, it also feels like it would be taking a step back after photo assisting for two years. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Retouching Assistants?

big retouching houses have all levels of retouchers. Be prepared to clean up backgrounds and cut masks and paths for a long time, but yeah, there is work to be had. Another in for you might be ad agencies. Many of the larger agencies have gone in-house with their retouching and since they tend toward a lot of retail work, they have need for less experienced retouchers. Get a book together if you don't have one already and start shopping yourself just as you are - a retoucher with 1 year experience. Just make sure what's in your book looks perfect and don't worry about the lack of technical ability it took to get there. Also, you may wish to try your hand at working direct with up and coming photographers who are getting published, but have no retouching budget. this will provide you with more experience and you'll have more tears for your book. good luck.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• McCallister81
      The "administrative" side of retouching?
      by McCallister81
      Hey folks. New member here and seeking some input from fellow retouchers. Especially in a corportate/larger team environment(not freelance).

Basically, if you have a usual 40hr/wk retouching job, how much of your time do you spend deciphering excel lists or other non-editing tasks,...
      04-24-2017, 10:48 PM
    • lukasdp
      retouching studios in Toronto?
      by lukasdp
      my name is Lukas and I have been retouching and using photoshop for the better part of a decade. Currently I live in Vancouver and wish to re-locate to Toronto and hopefully get on with a good retouching studio. If you know of any retouching houses I'd very much appreciate if you would list them here,...
      09-14-2010, 04:16 PM
    • KittyBuddha
      Architectural Retouching
      by KittyBuddha
      Can anyone recommend books, blogs or on-line tutorials on architectural retouching? I know virtually nothing about it & would like to enhance my work. I'll be retouching interior as well as exterior shots.
      02-21-2008, 10:14 PM
    • bobajango
      Retouching work in Europe?
      by bobajango
      Hi all, I'm a professional retoucher in NYC, working in a high-end shop.

I was wondering how the photo retouching market is in Europe, and if so, what city would be the capital of it? If the opportunities are there, I would consider moving to Europe.

I work with beauty,...
      04-27-2007, 06:41 PM
    • ftp-Jeff
      Anniversary....
      by ftp-Jeff
      Well, this is my 45th year in retouching! In 5 years, I hit retirement age. So wondering what is next. I could carry on retouching, or I could do something different... So I am asking for any input from you guys.

2 things spring to mind.

Training / Coaching.

03-02-2017, 07:14 PM
    Working...
    X