Portfolio question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portfolio question

what has been the latest style/feel for print porfolios, especially around nyc, lately?

8x10 or 11x14 ? any tips would help me udate myself.

what type of print are you using for your images?

thanks.

Re: Portfolio question

11x14. Epson prints or Fuji Final Proofs (cmyk final files).

I'm thinking about taking my 11x14 though and using it for my photography and getting a much larger book for my retouching book. It's so much easier and nicer to see stuff big for before and afters.. dunno. recently I see people just bringing in dvds to interviews because you can see stuff at 100%

Comment

yea i figured larger the better. thanks for info.

Comment

we had a guy come in with a dvd, and he was fumbling and clicking away to get a before and after comparison...he was moving windows like a madman, it was awkward to say the least...

Comment

Originally posted by pixelzombie View Post
          we had a guy come in with a dvd, and he was fumbling and clicking away to get a before and after comparison...he was moving windows like a madman, it was awkward to say the least...
          yeah, if you are going to bring a dvd in, you need to have all your files set up as just before and after layers (2 max) and let someone else drive. Still, for me, it takes to long to load images/copy off a dvd and while it's nice to be able to view stuff at 100% and beyond, you get a real sense of a persons color ability when you see prints. I can't tell you how many bad prints I've seen of otherwise ok work. Persons like that never get hired. It's your book and it had better be perfect for the most part, and that includes the prints.

Comment

I used to use a 12x19 book or a 16x20 book for my portfolio with canon prints.
            They are larger, but very visible. pain to carry around though.

I tried a dvd once but the computer that it was viewed on was to slow to go through it and it was that last time I did that.

Chris

Comment

Yeah, I have considered doing a 16x20 book, but I don't know that I'll do that anytime soon or at all as I hope to not need it for quite some time and/or at all again.

Comment

thanks all for feedback. appreciated.

Comment

Hi guys do you do your before and afters in your folios at the same size?
                  (both at 11x14) in different sleeves side by side?

Comment

I do, but I don't have that many.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant View Post
                      I do, but I don't have that many.
                      Is that normal then Ant, not to have before and afters of all your images?
                      Or is that because your folio has images from high profile campaigns and therefore speak for themself more?

Comment

Depends on what they want to see. Some people may really want to compare your before and afters. Best just to go for that if you're just getting started out. Also, with a myriad of composited elements, it's hard and distracting to put the raws all mish-mashed on the before page. I see people do that and I've done it somewhat on one campaign I did, but meh... Best to just know who you are showing your work to and what they might want to see. If you don't know, ask.

Comment

Yes big mistake to show them too much different stuff, after a while its impossible to focus. Concentrate on what they are likely to be interested in.

Comment

Thanks Ant, so much useful knowlege for all of us.

Comment

Originally posted by pixelzombie View Post
                              Would making a DVD with before and afters along with video fx and good qaulity music work as part of the portfolio?

Comment