Things that say "I'm not really a professional"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things that say "I'm not really a professional"

1. Using gmail or yahoo or any other email domain besides your own. Pros spend the $5/year on their own domain.
    2. Using myspace or any other website domain besides your own. See #1, plus pros are proud of their work and want to control how it's seen.
    3. Beautiful examples on an ugly/amateurish website or one that is an obvious template
    4. Ugly examples on a beautiful website
    5. No contact method besides email. Pros have phone numbers and mailing addresses and aren't afraid/embarrassed to share them
    6. "Contact me for more details". Pros know that most potential customers will simply browse away if there's anything not clearly and completely explained
    7. Only one or two examples of your work
    8. Ridiculous levels of copyright protection. Pros know the law, and that javascript tricks and stealth techniques won't protect you any more than a simple line of text.

Feel free to add your own.
    Last edited by Doug Nelson; 06-11-2008, 12:36 PM. Reason: Bad spelling is also very unprofessional
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Re: Things that say "I'm not really a professional

I agree with you on 8, nothing is more annoying then a water mark over the images

Comment

Google Adsense on opening page or on galleries. A lot of advertising in general. Ads unrelated to photography or design.

A site that claims artistic merit, style etc. but looks like it was built in 1995 - large text (looks like the Reader's Digest large-type edition) and large "clunky", beveled buttons, New Times Roman font. "Under construction" signs. E-mail link icon that looks like a cartoon mail box. Animated gifs. Tables with thick beveled borders.
      Any spelling or grammar errors.

Comment

Definitely agree with this...
        Originally posted by smak View Post
        Any spelling or grammar errors.
        My .02:
        * Broken links anywhere within the site
        * A very short list of references
        * Only one entry on the "satisfied clients" list
        * Even with a decent domain name, a non-professional looking contact e-mail name like [email protected] would raise an immediate flag
        * Slideshow that changes images way too quickly
        * Ridiculously low prices

Comment

I like Danny's email suggestion.

Any more?
          Learn by teaching

Comment

#1 thing that says to me that you're not a professional is the type of imagery you work on. I can look at 1 piece and tell if you're just putzing around.

Comment

This page under construction!

Comment

Originally posted by JD Spears View Post
                This page under construction!
                That's a good one. I'll add the even more egregious offenses of transition effects, music, animated gifs, and guestbooks. "Last updated xx/xx/xxxx" is possibly not quite as bad, unless it's from a year ago.

Paradoxically, I tend to rate flash sites as more professional (but not less irritating)

More subtle, but I've still seen it and abandoned any thought that they were professional is mixing private and professional sites (ie: family, pet and vacation pictures, etc.)
                Learn by teaching

Comment

And just so this isn't all about websites:

No business card, or business card with no web, email, and phone details (all 3)
                  No takeaway literature, or it's just laserjet output
                  Portfolio is a folder of loose samples
                  Coy about pricing (I hate that so much)
                  No recognitions to brag about (if nothing else, win a contest here, that's why I started them)

And this one is kind of in-between:
                  No website
                  Learn by teaching

Comment

Possible candidate: not offering downloadable "e-brochures"/sample portfolios
                    Lacking a better business bureau affiliation (for those that are state-side, anyway) logo.
                    No associations noted/listed (i.e.: Photographers of America, Inc., et al)
                    "In Business since 19.." and it's posted on a 1 or 2 page web site.
                    The thumbnails are the actual 3 megabyte images
                    All the sample photos are of the photographer's family members

Comment

OK,you guys are right .But instead of saying what not to do how about positive feedback on what to do.I asked in another post for an outline I dont do retouching but thought it was a good question because I see people asking bits and pices of this all the time

Comment

Coming to RetouchPro and exerting oneself through writing what constitutes a pro.

A pro doesn't care about what others do and why. He knows that the only one he should be comparing himself to is himself and his latest job.
                        If you measure your "pro-ness" by amateurs you're only one step up the ladder...

Comment

Originally posted by flice View Post
                          Coming to RetouchPro and exerting oneself through writing what constitutes a pro.

A pro doesn't care about what others do and why. He knows that the only one he should be comparing himself to is himself and his latest job.
                          If you measure your "pro-ness" by amateurs you're only one step up the ladder...
                          Respectfully, I disagree. I think this is an excellent ideal for a thread. So much so I even have it bookmarked. If not for this site I would have a very inflated opinion of my skills. The best way to climb a latter is one step at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Vernon View Post
                            Lacking a better business bureau affiliation (for those that are state-side, anyway) logo.
                            No associations noted/listed (i.e.: Photographers of America, Inc., et al)
                            I would take issue with these two items. On the last one, I never meet a customer that had any idea of what "PPA" (Professional Photographers of America) was or had they ever heard of it. In 25 years of owning and running my studio I think I may have been asked 2 or 3 times if I was a member of any type of professional organization.

As far as the BBB, they are nothing more than another for profit business with a very good advertising campaign. They where very expensive to join and very heavy handed in their dealings with other business's. My (and other business's in my area) experiences with them would fill a book. Its much better to run your business in a way that precludes any one from having to think about relying on the BBB.

Comment

Spelling and grammar errors! I know it seems like a small thing, but spelling an grammar errors just seem to jump off the page.

Comment