Balancing retouching with your dayjob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balancing retouching with your dayjob

Who here has a real job and started doing forprofit retouching? I'd like to know how you balance it.

I currently have an office job and those ads on the right side of the site with those sexy beautiful women are a little risky here.

Re: Balancing retouching with your dayjob

Integrity, professionalism-each place you work you do exactly what you have to do….

Comment

Originally posted by synthetamine View Post
      I currently have an office job and those ads on the right side of the site with those sexy beautiful women are a little risky here.
      Simple solution.. become a PATRON and the ads dissapear!!

Comment

Those are risky? Where do you work? In a convent?

Comment

it only takes one complainer to ruin it for everyone...

Comment

its got a pretty hefty filtering system and everything is logged, I'd feel better if I could make that computer there block that adsense stuff. but i dont have access to the hosts file.

no, not china.

Comment

I have google ads on the right side that are all links to retouching/photoshop/etc...?

What am i missing out on!

Comment

Originally posted by synthetamine View Post
                Who here has a real job and started doing forprofit retouching? I'd like to know how you balance it.

What do you want to know about. Jobs, or how to get rid of ads on your screen?

Comment

jobs, do you guys do retouching for a living or just on the side. If on the side, how much time do you devote to it, everyday after work ?

Comment

I do color and retouching for a major magazine publisher. I've done it with different companies, on the clock, 8 hours a day, for 27 years. So when I go home, I'm kinda done.

Occasionally, I'll have freelance work to do at home for an agency or photographer and that's cool for extra $$$.

Comment

For my day job, I have been employed for the last 27 years as a retoucher. (I am up at 3:30 AM and out by noon).

That leaves the rest of the day for my other retouching gig - my 8 year old retouching/illustration business (that will one day soon replace the day job).

Between the two jobs, I get about 4 hours of sleep. I'm ALWAYS working weekends. I am ALWAYS at the agencies looking for work. Whatever time I have left over, I am a father and husband (I am lucky to have a wife that understand the sacrifices that have to be made).

There is no time (now) for friends, hobbies, social activities or relaxation.

This is the price I am paying for starting my own business and being my own boss - nothing feels better than being in charge of your life, not having to punch a time-clock making some other clown rich (while you get peanuts) and not having to deal with fool employers who only know how to say "no", idiots and mediocrity.

Still, it is very hard work.

And it is paying off big time...

Good topic-

P
                      Last edited by Velocity Arts; 06-29-2008, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Still, it is very hard work. Indeed it is.

Comment