International Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Business

I wonder... what is everyone's view on doing photo restoration internationally? If your business has a website, you are inevitably going to get restoration requests from other countries. What are the ups and downs to doing business internationally? Are there legal issues associated? Tax issues?

I think it sounds like a idea worth investigating!! Perhaps the Chamber of commerce would be a good place to start...They could point you in the right direction, at least as far as who else to contact....keep us informed of what you find out! I think you have an excellent idea!! Tom

Comment

I've done quite a few international orders. Canada is the main place my international customers come from. Ocasionally I get some from the USA.
      I had one recently everything went fine until I requested payment. She simply didn't send the cheque this is the first international customer who has defaulted in payment. She must have changed her mind, I believe it was because my postal address in Australia but I can't prove that.Maybe she didn't realize I was here, I just don't know. I have done the work but have not sent it to her so all I'm out is my time. But I'm a little peeved about it. It's clear that I'm in Australia on my web site in my contact information, which she used to contact me in the first place.
      Last edited by Sanda; 09-03-2002, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Sandra,I wonder what difference it would make where you live. If you do the work at the contracted price, I guess I don't see the problem.

Dealing with the public can be frustrating sometimes.

Comment

I might be being over critical of this particular situation. Maybe she would have defaulted where ever I was.

Comment

I guess I am wondering how it works if someone in Pakistan or China sends you a check - how does the bank read that and how would you know if it is for the correct amount?

Sanda,

Would the customer send you a check for the equivalent of your price in canadian money or USD? I think the key with international orders is to require a deposit, that way at least you won't loose all the money if they don't pay the remainder.

Comment

I quote my prices in $US and ask for payment in $US for all international orders, it's too difficult to convert different currencies. My bank has no probelm with $US they do charge me a conversion fee but I take that into account when I quote.

Comment

I recently finished a job for a man in Argentina. He paid by cc and emailed me a scan, and I emailed back the finished work. Couldn't ask for a better client.
                Learn by teaching
                Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Just had a new expreience with international orders. My client said she was paying by cheque but sent a money order instead. This poses a problem, the money order can only be cashed in the USA. So I have to work out what to do with it. I'm not sure if I send it back to her if she will be able to get a refund as the money order is made out to Photo Renovate. I just don't know what to do. Any suggestions or anybody know if money orders are refundable to the purchaser?

Comment

I'm not well-versed about money orders, but the Western Union website mentions that there is a fee for refunding a money order, so it sounds like they allow it for ones they write out. There is a Western Union office in Queensland that is listed as doing payouts IF the money order is one of theirs.

Western Union - AU

Comment

Unfortunately it's not a Western Union one it's a United States Postal Service one. I've been told that because it has "Negotiable only in the U.S and Possessions" that there is no way I can cash it here in Australia. It looks like I'm going to have to send it back to the client, wait till somebody I know goes to the US to cash it or forfit the payment.

Comment

If it's made out to YOU, Sanda, how could someone cash it for you? If I could somehow, I would be more than happy to. I'll be in the US for a couple more weeks. Let me know. I can send you the money with pay pal if you can figure out how I could cash it for you. What a hassle, huh.

Comment

Just had a thought. Is there an american embassy there? That is considered american soil. Perhaps they could figure out a way for you...

Comment

Didn't find an embassy, but perhaps the U. S. Consulate could answer your questions --
                            U. S. Consulate - Sydney

Comment

I'll try the consulate and see what they have to say.
                              I think even sending it back to the customer will be a problem as it's made out to my business name.

Comment