Framing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framing

I bought an antique map for my mom and was wondering what is the best way to frame and preserve it? I figured this forum might have some good ideas. Thanks in advance.

Having it matted with acid free matting material, kept under glass in a frame out of direct sunlight and in an area not exposed to extremes of temperature \humidity, avoid displaying in areas where people smoke, and hanging it on an inside wall are pretty good guide lines. Hope that helps, Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom. Any type of glass better than the other. For example non-glare vs regular?

Comment

Hey Tom,

Is there a such thing as framing a photo under UV protected glass? I was thinking something like that might help protect your photos even more from light fading but I have no idea if they make it. I know they put it into eye glasses, so I was curious about picture frame glass.
        DJ

Comment

I believe there is a UV coated glass avaliable but as I remember the cost is rather steep. As long as the map isnt exposed to direct sunlight you should be ok with regular glass although when it comes to protecting a valuable document the best you can afford is a prudent investment,and the UV blocking coating,etc. IS extra protection. You might try a Framing shop and see if they either stock the coated glass/shatter resistant glass or know how to go about either obtaining it or even having your piece of glass coated. It is common for telescope owners to periodically send lens and mirrors assemblies or just the components out to be recoated so perhaps if you know any amature astronomers or can contact a local club they might be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck and let us know what you find out! Tom
          Last edited by thomasgeorge; 08-21-2001, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• rygold
            Making a glass out of liquid
            by rygold
            Yes I realise the post is confusing but I would like to make it appear as if a vodka glass has been created out of water droplets (or vodka.) I have seen a few commercials with that look and was wondering if anyone new how to go about it. I'm presuming many passes of the liquify tool? But what else....
            03-02-2009, 08:11 AM
          • katie
            Photo on glass
            by katie
            Does anybody know about photos on glass?

We have a client that has a photo that is on glass. It dates back to around 1770. It is deteriorating on the backside and the customer would like to have it restored.

Any information about this type of photo would be great.
            09-13-2002, 03:09 AM
          • SimoneV
            what kind of photograph? Milk Glass and Oil?
            by SimoneV
            Ok First let me say hey to everyone.
            I have been searching for months on a photograph that I aquired by accident. Or at least I think its a photograph. Its an image/portrait on what I think is milk glass. Then it is painted/colored with Oil paints.

I found many interesting things...
            03-07-2006, 12:20 PM
          • Bob Walden
            Copying glass negs.
            by Bob Walden
            Just received almost 200 5x7 glass negs of historical value. Most are in good shape. Many years ago (30-40) I made prints from glass negs using an enlarger and contact frame. Wondering what's the latest way. Need to digitize and put on disks. Has anyone use a flat bed scanner for this? Any recommendations?...
            02-04-2012, 11:46 AM
          • MCain
            Broken Glass Stuck to Old Picture
            by MCain
            I have an old photo in a frame that has the glass broken.

The remaining glass is stuck to the photo.

Does anyone know of a safe way to remove the glass without damaging the picture?

Thanks,

Marilyn
            12-18-2001, 09:02 AM
          Working...
          X