Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are they calling retouchers nowadays???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are they calling retouchers nowadays???

Hi everybody... I've been looking for work, and I tried using Monster and Career Builder... when you type in the word retoucher, you get nothing... Which leads me to believe that nowadays they are calling retouchers something else which I'm not aware of...

the only place where job ads for retouchers are listed as retouchers is craigslist... I have to believe that there are other places where people are placing ads for retouchers other than craigslist... craigslist just seems to have the bottom of the barrell stuff... the people who post for jobs on craigslist want you to do a 4 hour job in a 1/2 hour and want to pay you $15 bucks an hour... I wouldn't even mind doing some of these freelance jobs if they were realistic about the time...

So, if anybody has any idea how they are listing retouchers in Monster and Career Builder these, or if there is someplace else I should be looking, I would appreciate it... thanks in advance...

Re: What are they calling retouchers nowadays???

Have you tried ad agencies and graphic design companies who may need studio help?
    They normally require another couple of skills like Indesign and Illustrator etc but it would build up your folio. Tell them you're available to fill in for staff vacations, sickness etc. Keep plugging away!

R.

Comment

Thanks repairman for the tip... Believe me, I'm reaching out to everybody and I have the indesign and illustrator experience... But I just couldn't explain why in those 2 major job boards (Monster and Career Builder) the word retoucher doesn't appear...

Comment

It doesn't appear because there really are not that many jobs Also,Probably?

1)its a small community of retouchers in each city who know who is who

2) A lot of the jobs are word of mouth between these communities

also there are so many levels of retouching.I mean some people just want help when there swamped or in busy season

Then there's the "FAMOUS" could you work as an intern (for the ineducated "FREE")
        I think theres work but difficult to find and/or get your foot in the door

Comment

retouchers

Comment

Once again guys, thanks for your replies, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything.. I'm in New York City, and it's amazing to me that only craigslist will post work for retouchers as retouchers...

Comment

A loser, according to my ex wife.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Profane View Post
                A loser, according to my ex wife.

LOL !

I guess the term retoucher doesn't officially exists, because actually it is not a title or a carrer, like painter or graphic artist, it is just a part of the work of these two. It just comes since the use of the computer to do so, and it is relatively new.

IMO it should be called; Digital (Photo) Retoucher.

Retoucher is too vague

Comment

LOL. Well IMO it should be called Photo (digital) Retoucher. Some of us on here were doing it before computers. Using a computer doesn't make you a retoucher in the same way it doesn't make you a better writer. It's just a tool.
                  R.

Comment

Thanx for your correction Repairman, but maybe we can talk in Spanish or Mandarin for better understanding ! English is not my main language... besides, I think I made my point clear.

Comment

Scitex operator-?!

Comment

I was a retoucher before the digital came (you know pencils and leads and rubilith and paint and knifes and....). In French, I don't know in English, there was a difference between the guy who touched the neg (retoucheur) and the guy who touched the print (repiqueur). The 1st one to cut and hairspray and manipulate in a complicated way, the second to fill the dust "blanks" with a tiny 1 hair brush.

Here's an image...
                        http://reflets.echos.free.fr/blog/wp...he_negatif.jpg - the paraphernalia....

and then even if the site is in French
                        http://etudesphotographiques.revues.org/index1004.html - just look at the pictures of corrected negatives (reminds you of D&B?)

We used to be called by the employment services "photo lab technician, specialty: photo retoucher)

Comment

Originally posted by plugsnpixels View Post
                          Ha, I used to call myself that. Was quite a valuable skill, too, at one time. Now, it's in the same trash bin as "dye transfer technician".

Comment

@Boneappetit - I lived in Madrid for 5 years so I'm familiar with Castellano but Mandarin would be a big problem! Anyway, I wasn't correcting you BA I was just giving my personal opinion. These days everyone seems to be a retoucher because they can apply a PS filter and get a pretty effect. Retouchers don't need computers - they just need a one hair brush and eagle eyesight ha!
                            R.

Comment

Originally posted by Repairman View Post
                              @Boneappetit - I lived in Madrid for 5 years so I'm familiar with Castellano but Mandarin would be a big problem! Anyway, I wasn't correcting you BA I was just giving my personal opinion. These days everyone seems to be a retoucher because they can apply a PS filter and get a pretty effect. Retouchers don't need computers - they just need a one hair brush and eagle eyesight ha!
                              R.
                              Congratulations Repairman. But my point is that the thread theme is "the term retoucher" as a career or title, not the ability anyone could have or not, like Oh yeah I got a bachelor in retouching, here's my diploma.

I'd say this is just like "decaffeinated tea". Go figure... LOL

Comment